Football Programmes Centre

Sporting Memorys 8th & 9th August Sale
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sporting Memorys 8th & 9th August Sale
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SportingMemorys

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:07 am 
Post subject: Sporting Memorys 8th & 9th August Sale

Hi All,
Our Next Sale Will Be Over Two Days, 8th & 9th August.

Day One Will Be Other Sports (Rugby, Cricket, Golf Etc) Along With Tradecards, Match Worn Football Shirts And Autographs From All Sports (Football Included).

Day Two Will Be An All Football Sale.

All The Details Of The Sale Will Be On The SaleRoom At The End Of Business On Friday (21st July).

All Catalogues Will Be Posted Out By Monday (24th July).

Regards
Sporting Memorys
SportingMemorys

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:29 pm 
Post subject:

Hi All,
Please click the link below to be directed to our sale on the saleroom.

Any questions please feel free to call me on 0121 684 8282

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/sporting-memorys/catalogue-id-srspo10009

regards
Sporting Memorys
upthedale

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:51 pm 
Post subject: postage

Hi There,

How much do you charge for postage?
Just seen a couple in your auction i may be interested in..

Phil
SportingMemorys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:12 pm 
Post subject:

Hi,
All items are sent with insured & tracked delivery.
Postage is charged at cost plus approx £2 to cover packing.
Regards
Rob
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:11 am 
Post subject: Auctions

What I find astonishing is that Sporting Memorys Auction will come and go next week and the likelihood of any mention of what went on will simply not happen.

Considering this is a collectors site, there seems to be a zero interest in anyone ever discussing any of the lots before or afterwards and that cannot be correct surely. I can accept some folks on here do not want to mention some of the lots as they do not want to draw any attention to them beforehand-fair enough, but once it is all over-it is like it never happened.

Therefore as both Sporting Memorys and Sportingold Auctioneers are both members of this Forum why can in future they simply not tell us of the choice or any of the items generally and how they managed to get on because no one else is going to bother!.

I recall a few years ago I asked the same question re Graham Budd's auctions as afterwards not a peep from anyone and all that I got back was "its like Harrods, most people cannot afford to shop there"!

Apathy rules for sure or is it darker than that?, so maybe the Auctioneers themselves should be coming on and say picking out 10-20 items that sold well and not necessarily the highest prices achieved always but perhaps the more interesting maybe, some food for some thought.

Programme Monthly does this and it is interesting to see how some lots fared, this is just my opinion so if anyone wishes to put forward anything else on the subject.......

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
hulldon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:33 am 
Post subject:

Leslie makes a good point .... especially with regard to pre-auction comments, as letting other collectors "in" on potential bargains may be counter-productive, but afterwards ... that's a different story!
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:44 am 
Post subject:

Totally agree, the “social chat” surrounding auctions and fairs appears to be almost non-existent. Use the New Year London Fair as an example, there was barely any chat whatsoever afterwards on what is probably the second biggest fair for our hobby.

I recall being criticised by a few members a while back when I had the audacity to suggest that upcoming programme related auctions were advertised more on here, as if collectors would be giving away secrets by providing this useful information.

It’s an odd hobby at times, with odd people.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:17 am 
Post subject:

That's a very good point Leslie (and others).

The silence is sometimes deafening and I don't know why for instance Robert and Chris wouldn't publish more here either before or after.

However, if anyone's interested, I intend on being at the auction on Weds 9th August so if anyone else is going, we could introduce ourselves.

Aiming to arrive at about 11 for a view beforehand and staying for about 3 hours once it starts at 12.

And then maybe we can share our thoughts on here later.

Maybe we need an FPC badge so we are easy to spot? Wave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:00 pm 
Post subject:

I would be interested to know how estimates on some of the smaller, less well collected, club programmes are set. I appreciate that the Auctioneers mentioned are vastly experienced; however, as an example, how did Robert approach valuation on items such as the two Workington 28/9 trial matches (lots 1485 and 1486).

The number of serious Workington collectors must be very limited and with no away club involved the estimates of £600 to £800 appear to be optimistic.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:08 pm 
Post subject:

The guide price is most usually decided by the seller, not the auctioneer, unless it's material coming from a non collector's source. It's why you get a batch of no sales in some auctions, all lumped together because the seller has put too high a starting price on them.

Why not a predictor league whereby say ten lots from a particular sale are detailed on here, and the person to get the nearest to the eventual sale price wins?
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:57 pm 
Post subject:

One slightly off-putting factor in both this and Sportingold's auctions is the regularity with which programmes are bundled together as lots.

For instance, "5 1940s reserve homes"...1 of which is against Derby and I'd like. But not to the extent where I'd bid the extra to include the other 4 which would be of no use to me.

Presumably lots such as these are aimed at dealers rather than collectors - but it can be a wee bit frustrating......as is never, ever, ever, ever seeing the 55/6 Barrow v Derby s/s issue on any of these auctions!
Rocky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:01 pm 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:
The guide price is most usually decided by the seller, not the auctioneer, unless it's material coming from a non collector's source.

Ah…and now I understand how the rarer individual Middlesbrough home programmes from the late 50’s & early 60’s have been winkled out and given some very high estimates. Still learning after all these years.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Jamesy1926

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:55 am 
Post subject:

Very tempted by one of the Middlesbrough prgrammes in particular.

As a bit of an auction novice, does the buyer pay any more than the hammer price?
hulldon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:19 am 
Post subject:

Jamesy!
There is commission on top, and then postage if you won't be there yourself. Check their website for exact figures but commission is usually 17.5% ish. They are fair with postage and have bought from them successfully in the past, as they are efficient with commission bids!
Go for it ...
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:56 am 
Post subject:

If you bid online via the Saleroom there's an extra 3% commission for them as well.

Postage and packaging, as ever, is excellent with Sportingold. I paid my dues on the Monday week before last and receievd them at 9am the following day. Despite criticisms about promoting discourse about the auctions it is reassuring to know that your goods are in safe hands all the time, especially after what happened with FSA.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:00 pm 
Post subject:

Quite agree with that Auchinleckian, same service received here too from Mr Williams. Very obliging when viewing too, always makes me a cuppa!
foxes1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:01 pm 
Post subject:

hulldon wrote:
Jamesy!
There is commission on top, and then postage if you won't be there yourself. Check their website for exact figures but commission is usually 17.5% ish. They are fair with postage and have bought from them successfully in the past, as they are efficient with commission bids!
Go for it ...

I have also paid VAT on the commission in the past so its worth bearing that in mind as well, but if you are VAT registered I'm sure you can claim it back. It does pay to check what charges you are likely to incur and bear this in mind if bidding.
upthedale

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:49 pm 
Post subject: Re: Sporting Memorys 8th & 9th August Sale

SportingMemorys wrote:
Hi All,
Our Next Sale Will Be Over Two Days, 8th & 9th August.

Day One Will Be Other Sports (Rugby, Cricket, Golf Etc) Along With Tradecards, Match Worn Football Shirts And Autographs From All Sports (Football Included).

Day Two Will Be An All Football Sale.

All The Details Of The Sale Will Be On The SaleRoom At The End Of Business On Friday (21st July).

All Catalogues Will Be Posted Out By Monday (24th July).

Regards
Sporting Memorys

Hi Rob

Just a quick question
What happens to the programmes that are unsold??
Do they go back to the seller?

Any forum member feel free to answer if know what happens to them..

Regards
Phil
SportingMemorys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:06 pm 
Post subject:

http://www.sportingmemorys.com/

Hi all,
The results for my auction 8th & 9th August are online.

Regards
Sporting Memorys
goonerboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:44 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks. As a future suggestion is there a way to put the auction results against the catalogue as it's not easy to just see a listing of prices without the item description and then have to toggle with the catalogue ? Or include item description in the sale results listing ? Thank you
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: