Football Programmes Centre

1963 F A Cup Final
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
1963 F A Cup Final

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxes1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:51 am 
Post subject: 1963 F A Cup Final

How many different versions are there of the 1963 F A Cup Final.
I have 2 one with Dunne as Man U's left back the other with Cantwell listed as playing there are there any other variations..
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:50 pm 
Post subject: Re: 1963 F A Cup Final

foxes1 wrote:
How many different versions are there of the 1963 F A Cup Final.
I have 2 one with Dunne as Man U's left back the other with Cantwell listed as playing there are there any other variations..

Interesting and for sure I think quite an unnoticed point you have raised.

I have several copies of this programme including a Royal Box Copy in official Blue "Binder where it lists Cantwell at left back, also I have Ken Aston[Referee's personal copy-also listing Cantwell, then there is a copy that is signed by both teams at that time[all in Biro none of those appalling Black markers]-again Cantwell, then a copy that belonged to Cantwell naming him[which he has signed on the cover with Bobby Charlton] and lastly Cantwell again with another copy and then with just one copy naming Dunne and no mention at all of Cantwell who was United's Captain??.

So to try and give some answer to you I would say that I personally have only ever seen these two variations and based on the fact 2 off these types listing Noel Cantwell with a Refs and Royal Box copy then to me it seems that was the official version-as to the other I would guesstimate they are not as many around but whether it is sufficient to add anything meaningful to the overall price I could not really say, I suppose for a United nerd such as me if I did not have one I would probably buy one just like having about 15 different tickets for the game for all parts of the stadium-talk about excesses!

Not wishing to miss a trick either, if anyone wishes to view the 1963 FA Cup Final section where the above items are mentioned just click here
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjewZ2r1
Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
foxes1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:46 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for the info, neither of them are for sale yet as I collect Leicester City stuff. Didn't know if the 2 versions had something to do with the final being put back to late May because of the big freeze that year. I also know various cup finals down the years have been reproduced but it looks like these progs are the genuine article it may have been Dunne was supposed to play in the final originally but was replaced by Cantwell later.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 pm 
Post subject:

foxes1 wrote:
Thanks for the info, neither of them are for sale yet as I collect Leicester City stuff. Didn't know if the 2 versions had something to do with the final being put back to late May because of the big freeze that year. I also know various cup finals down the years have been reproduced but it looks like these progs are the genuine article it may have been Dunne was supposed to play in the final originally but was replaced by Cantwell later.

Good Point as the original date in May was switched to weeks later, BUT as I mentioned before Cantwell was the club Captain and if fit would be the first name on the team sheet, so other than your great point-I cannot give any further input.

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Footyfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:15 am 
Post subject:

Quite a few FA Cup Finals in the 1960s early 70s have different versions.

For example there are 4 versions of the 1972 Arsenal v Leeds Final with different contributors/signatories to FA Centenary message and also different names for the Arsenal trainer. There are 2 of the 1970 Chelsea v Leeds programme one with and one without the Bovril advert on the back page.

My theory is that because the Cup Final programme used to be available in newsagents at least 2/3 weeks before the final was played as early stocks were replenished different editions were printed with updates on possible team line ups etc.

This subject was discussed on the Forium way back in 2009:

https://www.footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4379&sid=fe725426aea516767b19ccac45e21340

Last edited by Footyfan on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
EYES OF BLUE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:31 pm 
Post subject:

Just as a " guesstimat " Mr. Millman how many would have been printed and I presume the one with Dunne and Brennan to be the sought after one ?
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:54 pm 
Post subject:

EYES OF BLUE wrote:
Just as a " guesstimat " Mr. Millman how many would have been printed and I presume the one with Dunne and Brennan to be the sought after one ?

How many overall?? for a Cup Final-would not have a clue but back then 100,000 attended and I do not know the ratios of how many bought one and how many did not, so if we said only half purchased a copy that is a lot for sure but it could have been less? or it could have been many, many more.

As regards the copies with the Brennan-Dunne as full backs that could only be determined when we ever found out why they were printed up in the first place as the earlier point of the bad weather is perhaps a decent shout.

Who is Mr.Millman Laughing

Regards

Leslie Wave

EYES OF BLUE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:13 pm 
Post subject:

Cheers Leslie , just a fellow Red collector , new to the forum
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: