Football Programmes Centre

A cricket photo
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A cricket photo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:55 pm 
Post subject: A cricket photo

Well, it's July and the cricket season is in full flow - except there aren't any county matches other than T20 tomorrow but of course there's the Women's World Cup. Anyway, this is a great photo and I make no apologies for showing it on this football forum.

June 1968, Lords. England v Australia, Second Test, 4th Day.

HM The Queen meets the England players with skipper Colin Cowdrey introducing Her to Colin "Ollie" Milburn, the roly-poly Northants player who sadly lost an eye in a car crash a year later. He top-scored with 83 in this match as Australia clung on for a draw.

With Milburn is the Surrey pair John Edrich and Ken Barrington (my cricketing hero!) and furthest away half-hidden is the great Tom Graveney.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
beaudog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:40 pm 
Post subject: A cricket photo

Lovely photograph, Almost 50 years ago and isn't it strange that years later thanks mainly to the bubble gum cards of the day you can remember not only the names but the initials of the players and the county for which they played. Today little chance of that. Lovely memories
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:48 pm 
Post subject:

I was born in June 1968.

Smile

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:41 am 
Post subject: A Cricket Photo

Great photo Pete.l remember writing to most of the early 1960's team for autographs.The great Colin Cowdrey sent me the whole of the Kent team! Wasn't Barrington dropped once for a slow scoring rate in a test match? I think he got a century in the game. A tough solid batsman.Colin Milburn was a hell of an exciting player. He tried to smash every loose delivery for a boundary.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:04 pm 
Post subject:

I remember Geoff Boycott being dropped for slow scoring v India, having scored 240 - of which he got about 90 in the whole of the first day. Not sure about Kenny B. His favourite party-piece was getting to 94 (slowly!) and then hitting a 6. I was in Barbados at the test match at which he died - he was the England tour manager - March 1981.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: