Football Programmes Centre

1957 Sports Photo of the Year
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
1957 Sports Photo of the Year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMusic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:25 pm 
Post subject: 1957 Sports Photo of the Year

A solid challenge!

Does anyone know the players or English teams involved? It was voted 1957 Sports Photo of the Year at the awards ceremony in Amsterdam and was taken by a Mr Robert Edwards...

TheMusic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:21 pm 
Post subject:

Bump! Would anyone have any further information on this photo?
TheMusic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:56 am 
Post subject:

So I now understand the play with a slightly (Wink ) raised foot is Bristol City star Alec Eisenstrager, a German former prisoner of war.

Does anyone know who the keeper is and when and where this match was played?

Thanks in advance.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:35 pm 
Post subject:

Aldus (possibly Anglified to Alec I suppose) Eisentrager was indeed a POW and former paratrooper. This is him in 1954.

He was at City from 1949 to 1958 and played 228 league games with 47 goals. If the photo won an award in 1957 I would guess it was taken in 1956/7 when they had just gone back into Division 2. Or it could have been taken at the end of 55/6 when they won Div III South.

Looking at the keeper's kit it could be any number of teams in black shorts with a white stripe & hooped socks - and there were also a lot of teams usually in red & white who would have had to change probably to white shirts and black shorts. That's if City were at home. This could well be away somewhere. So unless someone can ID the keeper, you could be struggling here.

Is there a stamp on the back, or does it say who Mr Edwards worked for? That may give a clue.

Great photo - good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
mark01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:02 pm 
Post subject:

Eisentrager only played 11 games in 56/57 season and one of those was abandoned at half time.

regards, Mark
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: