Football Programmes Centre

Pompey reserves query.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Pompey reserves query.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farmersboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:20 pm 
Post subject: Pompey reserves query.

As well as collecting certain key seasons and games, I am also aiming to get a programme for every match I have been to. I went to a few reserve games in the seventies but these do not stick in the memory like first team games.

I am looking for the date(as well as the team sheet) of Pompey v Peterborough, mid-week league cup final. All I remember is that the score was 4-1 and I bought a pint legally, so must have been after 1975.
Also went to a reserve game in which a young Chris Kamara had a trial and played in borrowed boots. I think this was against Brighton in 1975/76. frustrating thing is I had team sheets at the time but gave them away.
While researching this, I came across a notice in a 1978/79 programme, saying that on receipt of a S.A.E., a gentleman by the name of Chris Gibbs, could supply your Pompey wants. So belatedly, this one for you Chris.
facup1939

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:13 pm 
Post subject: Pompey Reserves Query

Hi farmersboy

Chris Gibbs is on this forum, and is certainly around, as I went with him to the London Programme Fair last week.

Anyway, I may be able to answer your queries.

Pompey v Peterborough Midweek League Cup Final.
This was played over 2 legs, in May 1974. Pompey won the first leg at Peterborough 5-1 on 14/5/74 and the second leg at Fratton Park 4-1 on 16/5/74. Scorers in the home leg were Fred Smith, Richard Reynolds 2, and Gordon Bartlett.

With regard to Chris Kamara, I don't have all of the line-ups, but I do have some of the team sheets from this time. The first mention of his name on a team sheet that I can see is on 16/10/1974 against Southend Utd which Pompey won 3-1. Kamara is listed at number 5.

I don't have original team sheets for either of these games, but I do have copies, so if you want a copy of either or both then no problem.

Best of luck in finding originals!

Paul
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:09 pm 
Post subject:

Not a programme but a report........

I think they are the correct matches.

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
farmersboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:02 pm 
Post subject:

Just remembered watching Pompey play Watford in 1973/74. It was an afternoon match. Had the day off school for a royal wedding. Again a team sheet or even a copy would be great.
CHRIS GIBBS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:04 pm 
Post subject:

Hi farmers boy (why can't people put their names on this site?). 1978 was a long time ago and I may have been able to help you, but not now. The two other non named people who have replied will have been more help than I can at this time as I know both will have more time on their hands than me, the best I could do would be a photo copy as well. Chris Gibbs
facup1939

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:25 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Farmersboy

Pompey played Watford on 29/8/1973 in the Midweek League at Fratton Park and won 2-0.

The Royal Wedding (Princess Anne & Mark Phillips) was on 14/11/1973, according to Wikipedia. I cannot see that the Reserves played on this day.

However, if you want a scan of the two teamsheets above, and this Watford one, then PM me with your email, and I will send them to you.

Paul.
farmersboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:34 pm 
Post subject:

Many thanks gents, a mine of information as usual.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: