Football Programmes Centre

Help Identifying Press Photos
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Help Identifying Press Photos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WHU2711

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:48 pm 
Post subject: Help Identifying Press Photos

2 Press Photos measuring 10" x 8" any help identifying would be great

More creased photo keeper punching ball away, one of the teams Wolves? Press stamp on back PA Reuter

other photo blank to back

kenners46

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:02 pm 
Post subject:

Bottom pic looks like Southampton
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:00 am 
Post subject:

Yes, bottom pic does look like The Dell although "Hunt & Hunt" are a firm of solicitors in Romford Essex and have been since 1794 as per Google. Can you see what the small print says around their ad? They could be playing Leeds who wore yellow with blue sleeves for a few years in the 40's/50's. The player furthest right may even be John Charles.

Top one could well be Wolves and the ground looks familiar but it's not Molineux.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
WHU2711

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:17 am 
Post subject:

Hunt and Hunt - Turf Accountants Winchester and Basingstoke
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:28 am 
Post subject:

Top picture is definitely Molineux. Stand in the background is the old Main Stand - seating at the top, standing at the bottom and the players tunnel to the right hand side. Initial thoughts are the early 1960's as the goalkeeper does not look like Bert Williams. Malcolm Finlayson took over from him but it does not look like him either.

Will try and have a better look this evening.
WHU2711

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:31 am 
Post subject:

Thanks for all the help so far, the photograph discussions on this forum are always interesting
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:42 am 
Post subject: Help identifying Press Photos

Looks like Wolves players in the photo are: in goal Geoff Sidebottom, defender no3 Gerry Harris, others could be Eddie Clamp and George Showell Away team has the look of Spurs.Is that the great John White?Hope this helps.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:28 am 

Just had a closer look at Wolves photo.Player in white shirt looks like Graham Leggett of Fulham and Scotland.
WHU2711

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:19 am 
Post subject: Re: Help identifying Press Photos

Flaming Pie wrote:
Just had a closer look at Wolves photo.Player in white shirt looks like Graham Leggett of Fulham and Scotland.

If correct that should make it easy, you gave me Geoff Sidebottom if correct research shows he debuted in Nov 1958 and left Wolves in Feb 61

The only Wolves v Fulham game at Molineux in the period was Sept 15th 1959 and if correct the photo is rare as it shows Fulham attacking in a game they lost 9-0

Would you agree on that?
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:17 pm 

WHU2711 wrote:
Flaming Pie wrote:

If correct that should make it easy, you gave me Geoff Sidebottom if correct research shows he debuted in Nov 1958 and left Wolves in Feb 61

The only Wolves v Fulham game at Molineux in the period was Sept 15th 1959 and if correct the photo is rare as it shows Fulham attacking in a game they lost 9-0

Would you agree on that?

Match details as follows:
Wednesday 16 September 1959 at Molineux (Att 41,692)
Wolves (3) 9 (Deeley 6 36 64p 89, Flowers 38, Broadbent 58, Mason 59, Murray 63, Clamp 67): Finlayson, Stuart, Harris, Flowers, Showell, Clamp, Lill, Mason, Murray, Broadbent, Deeley.
Fulham (0) 0: Macedo, Cohen, Langley, Mullery, Stapleton, Lawler, Leggatt, Hill, Doherty, Stokes, Johnson.

With Finlayson in goal for Wolves that does not tally with Sidebottom. Could the opposition be Luton?
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:29 pm 

Could well be Luton before they were relegated in 1960.They played them on the way to winning the FA Cup in 1960, but it was an away game.How about Bolton , who they played in the cup and league at home during this period? The 9 -0 victory over Fulham sounds interesting.Those were the days! A Spurs fan might be able to identify if it is indeed John White.
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:38 pm 

Flaming Pie wrote:
Could well be Luton before they were relegated in 1960.They played them on the way to winning the FA Cup in 1960, but it was an away game.How about Bolton , who they played in the cup and league at home during this period? The 9 -0 victory over Fulham sounds interesting.Those were the days! A Spurs fan might be able to identify if it is indeed John White.

Luton Town were played at home in the midweek after the cup tie with Sidebottom in goal. details as follows:

Tuesday 23 February 1960 at Molineux (Att 30,059)
Wolves (2) 3 (Horne 11, Murray 36, Broadbent 8Cool: Sidebottom, Stowell, Stuart, Clamp, Slater, Flowers, Deeley, Broadbent, Murray, Mason, Horne.
Luton Town (2) 2 (Groves 13, Bingham 34): Baynham, Dunne, McNally, Brown, Kelly, Pacey, Bingham, Turner, McCreadie, Groves, Gregory.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:56 pm 
Post subject:

I stand corrected about Molineux.

As regards the other photo, if there's a Hunt & Hunt in Winchester then it could well be Southampton at the Dell. And I still think it could be Leeds in yellow shirts with blue sleeves. Does anyone have more thoughts on that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
amazorblade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:17 pm 
Post subject:

I can confirm that the second pic is the Dell
The old West stand (left corner where the players came out).
The Peters advert was late 40s . The saints player looks like George Curtis so im guessing 1947/8 or 1948/9 but I may be wrong. If the opposition is Leeds then this would be 30.8.47 or 12.3.49.
andoversaint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:24 pm 
Post subject: help identifying press photos

Definitely Southampton so definitely The Dell. Rather than attempting to identify the players I've looked at the advertising on the stands and structure of stands. Of all the pictures I can find of relevant stand the 'news chronicle' advertisement is only evident in the 1960/61 season. At the top of the stand a gantry is also evident starting from this season too but not previous seasons which narrows it down also. The 'saints' player in the foreground on first impressions I thought was George O'Brien and has been suggested that opponents could be Leeds would date this at 3rd September 1960, O'Brien played in this match. Hope this helps
WHU2711

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:11 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks again all for all the help
Unfortunately I do not know how to show the picture so you can zoom in but can do so on my Mac, on the Southampton picture I can add if you cannot already see
To the right of News Chronicle is an ad saying "Buy Him Stanley Matthews Football Boots"
Nothing to add on the Wolves game
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:36 pm 
Post subject:

I know I was bought a pair of Stan's boots when I was about 7 and that was 1963 - no idea how long he'd been associated with them before then.

The other thing is the keeper in the Saints photo is probably a 1960 keeper and not a late 40's keeper so the date 3.9.1960 looks favourite for a game v Leeds. That date takes it into the Jack Charlton era and my first hunch, John Charles, was in Italy then.

BUT - according to HFK Leeds didn't wear the yellow with blue sleeves after 1956. Unless a Leeds aficionado appears we may not get to the bottom of this.
Davee59

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:55 pm 
Post subject:

I am no expert but it doesn't look like the late great John White to me. Sadly John was killed at the age of only 27 and the player in white strip looks older than that.
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:42 pm 
Post subject:

For what my humble opinion is and with regard to the Wolves photo I agree to the four Wolves players being identified: the other players I am sure are Spurs players and they must be John White and the other player Terry Dyson.
As regard the season it could be !959/1960 or 1960/1961, I am not too sure, but the big clue will be the goalkeeper who made limited appearances for the Wolves 1st team.

I am unable to help on the other photo and move aside to the other guys expert opinions.
Five and In

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:31 am 
Post subject: Help Identifying Press Photos

I think Topbid is correct with John White and Terry Dyson.
Good shout in the first place by FlamingPie regarding "the Ghost".

I've just googled an image of Geoff Sidebottom and think that he is a strong possibility for the keeper.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: