Football Programmes Centre

FA cup rewind
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
FA cup rewind

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farmersboy

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:04 am 
Post subject: FA cup rewind

I have just watched a recording of the '73 cup final on the red button. First time since the actual day. Clearly Sunderland out-permed Leeds on the day. Some fearsome tackling, but apart from one from that paragon of virtue Billy Bremner, no diving. That Wembley step, at least 3 Sunderland players fell down it after collecting their medals, including Bobby Kerr, who dropped the cup. The clang could clearly be heard.
How much more enthralling the whole day was then compared to a meaningless match between 2 super rich teams poked away at 5.15
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:54 am 
Post subject: FA Cup rewind

Interesting memories farmersboy. My dad worked with Everton legend Dixie Dean at Littlewoods Pools. Birkenhead in the 1960's. Dixie once told him that the Everton pre - match meal before they beat Manchester City in the 1933 FA Cup Final was tripe and onions cooked in milk with plenty of salt. Probably followed by a few woodbines( ciggies) to soothe the the pre - match nerves. I remember eating this as a kid and it was pretty tasty. I reckon' Everton were ahead of their time with energy foods..Can you imagine the Arsenal and Chelsea lads being presented with this before today's match!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:55 am 
Post subject:

The FA Cup Final was such a magical day in the calendar when I was a lad, you'd talk about precious little else & look forward to it for weeks.
Saturday morning you'd be up like a lark, and straight up the shops to stock up on unhealthy treats, before plonking yourself in front of the telly by 10am where you'd soak up and savour every last morsel of the build-up, glued there to the box until 5:30pm.
Not even an earthquake would shift you.

Then Sky came along and killed the competition stone dead, just like the League Cup and pretty much everything else as well; albeit with a little help from Sir Alex Ferguson who introduced not only reserve sides to the World's most famous cup competition, but actually opted out one shameful year.

Naturally everybody else followed suit.

Alas what we are left with in 2017 is akin to a washed-up child star pathetically trying to rekindle his past glories whilst sat partially-naked in a pool of piss. Where there was unbridled romance now there is ostentatious music and forced ticker-tape ceremonies. Where there was 22 working class men living the dream of a lifetime now there are 22 multi-millionaires peeved that they're not already enjoying their holiday mansions whilst spit-roasting a model. Where there was Saint & Greavsie now there is a monotoned robot called Shearer and a buffoon called Wright. Where there was age-old tradition now there is a hideous sponsor's moniker and an even more hideous kick-off time.

I guess it's best summed up by the fact I had completely forgotten it was cup final day (ahem, evening) today until my mate mentioned it on the blower last night.

Whereas that footy-mad lad I mentioned right at the beginning could reel off every cup final team & score since time began.

Sad

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Five and In

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:38 pm 
Post subject: FA cup rewind

Farmersboy.......Great thread.
I watched the 1970 Chelsea v Leeds final a few weeks ago......how times change!

Couldn't agree more with everything that Wiggy has said.
For me,the FA Cup began to die when Man Utd did not defend their trophy, but in fairness to them, they were sold out by the FA who wanted them to go to play in a money maker in Brazil.
The FA effectively destroyed their own competition and Sky were keen to twist the knife and put all their eggs in the PL basket.
As a kid I always wanted to see the Final live with my Spurs team involved and was lucky enough to get to four (81, 82, 87 & 91)
The first was without doubt the best day of my life with that goal by Ricky Villa....he's still going!!!
I came home at around 6am the following morning on the back of a milk float, a little worse for wear!
As Wiggy says, I also can recall the line ups of all of those 70's & 80's finals, but I would struggle to tell you who won it in the last ten years without looking it up.................and I won't be watching tonight.....Sad.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:51 pm 
Post subject:

Is that rewind or ruined?

I went to last year's Final which in case you've all forgotten was Palace v Man Utd. If you haven't forgotten, I almost have.

One memory I have from the 60's and 70's which nobody else has mentioned is after the final, around 5:15-5:30 our local playing field filled up with kids all re-living he final, you'd be Ronnie Boyce or Mike Trebilcock or Frank Saul for a few hours. And we'd play till it got dark, 18 or 20 a side. That was on the council estate I was brought up on.

I do lots of general knowledge quizzes now for charity, both setting and taking part - I am of course the Sports expert they all rely on. I dread the Cup Final or World Cup or Premier League question and they all look at me and I have no idea who won what in 1997 or 2009. But as you all say, if it was about the 1969 final I could name every player in order.

Ruined I reckon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:30 pm 
Post subject:

Do you know what Pete, I honestly couldn't remember who was in last year's final while I was writing that earlier.

And other than the odd great spectacle like the Gerrard final in '06, I'd really struggle to tell you who the last ten / twenty cup finals were between mate. In fact I know I couldn't.

Plus ditto, I almost said too that come 5:30pm, the previously deserted streets and any available patch of grass would be suddenly chocker-full of kids all reenacting the day's events.

Streets that had been like a ghost-town previously where even the Sheriff is in on it!

holtie96

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:40 pm 
Post subject: FA cup

Without sounding like an old git I quite agree with you all! I could win any quiz night with scores, winners, years, players and as a kid would even recite the commentary playing footie in the back garden with my brother. As you have all said, can't recall who won what in the last 15 years! To cap it all and to highlight saturation point I have been on residentials with sports mad kids when key finals or matches have taken place and the kids just aren't bothered about missing watching the game. As a young lad it would have taken hell or high water to have removed me from the tele on finals day.
Rocky

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:52 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
The FA Cup Final was such a magical day in the calendar when I was a lad, you'd talk about precious little else & look forward to it for weeks. Saturday morning you'd be up like a lark, and straight up the shops to stock up on unhealthy treats, before plonking yourself in front of the telly by 10am where you'd soak up and savour every last morsel of the build-up, glued there to the box until 5:30pm.Not even an earthquake would shift you. Whereas that footy-mad lad I mentioned right at the beginning could reel off every cup final team & score since time began.

You've absolutely nailed that Wiggy. Exactly my thoughts this morning. Not forgetting, after the Cup Final your attention changed to the excitement of the Home Internationals. Whatever happened to our "beautiful game?"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:59 pm 
Post subject:

I still remember the 1978 final when Ipswich Town were posing with the cup and one of their players was smoking a fag.

Very Happy

Proper working class heroes who drove Ford Cortina's and lived in houses not unlike yours.

I'm glad it's not only me who can't remember the post-Sky regime, I had worried that my years of abusing my brain with alcohol might in some way be partly responsible.

PS. I loved Five's comment about Ricky, he's still going!

He is too in my mind.

Laughing

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:18 pm 
Post subject:

A few images from PPP - all unsold and going onto Twitter around kick-off time, with a few others.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:02 pm 
Post subject:

Might be a sign of age - but, whereas I can pinpoint each year of the 1946 to 1986 era with who won the Cup, after that it becomes a bit of a blur.

As Finals go, today's wasn't too bad - and the Lincoln and Sutton stories enlivened the tournament.

But until this hysterical trumpeting of the Premier League and how finishing, say, 8th is better than winning the Cup and finishing 14th, then we'll have to look to even earlier rounds than the Third Round for the really interesting cup stories (which has, arguably, been the case for the last decade or so).
farmersboy

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:22 pm 
Post subject:

I seemed to have touched a nostalgia nerve with this one, not too difficult on this site. Not a bad game today and I was able to watch the Scottish final for the first time in my life, again not bad considering the mis-match. Shame the Chelsea fans couldn't stay around for the presentation. When Pompey lost to them in 2010 all you could hear when John Terry lifted the cup, was the Pompey Chimes. The discussion before the game was all about staying to cheer the team afterwards whatever the result, after the Spurs fans previous appointments in our semi-final. Staying to see the cup presented and clapping the winners is obviously another tradition that has been lost. Arsenal fans have been as bad, remember the rush for the exits after half an hour against Man U?
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:33 pm 
Post subject:

farmersboy wrote:
I seemed to have touched a nostalgia nerve with this one, not too difficult on this site. Not a bad game today and I was able to watch the Scottish final for the first time in my life, again not bad considering the mis-match. Shame the Chelsea fans couldn't stay around for the presentation. When Pompey lost to them in 2010 all you could hear when John Terry lifted the cup, was the Pompey Chimes. The discussion before the game was all about staying to cheer the team afterwards whatever the result, after the Spurs fans previous appointments in our semi-final. Staying to see the cup presented and clapping the winners is obviously another tradition that has been lost. Arsenal fans have been as bad, remember the rush for the exits after half an hour against Man U?

Well none of us will enjoy 17 again for sure FB.

Really good opening post mate; it certainly clicked the nostalgic-bent inside me into gear.

Just what we needed on cup-final day.

goonerboy

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:36 pm 
Post subject:

Although I admit that football has changed immeasurably over the last 30-40 years I have got to say I enjoyed our cup run immensely and especially yesterday and there was no loss of magic from the perspective of the arsenal fans.

The reality is that it isn't just football that has changed but the world around us plus as middle aged + blokes our perspectives have changed. In fact when I think back to early 70s as a kid every player in every team seemed to be magic. Now 40 years later my perspectiveis totally different.

I agree kids have a different view of the game than we did but then they view lots of things differently.....they have social media, playstations, iphones.....we had a ball and a park/field. Even without Sky there would view would be different. Although I wasn't alive but I strongly suspect that those involved in the earl days of football in 1890s or early 1900s would have been apoplectic at how the game changed in the 1940s etc.

Tradition sadly is just nostalgia for a certain age group.

If you look at cricket then the introduction of the 1 day game was seriously frowned upon. Now the few hours of 20:20 is all the rage. What would those of the timeless test era think I wonder.

The reality is that football is still very much alive but differently to 40 years ago. Ask Sutton Utd or Lincoln or even Arsenal fans and a host of other clubs whether he FA cup matters and I suspect you will still get a resounding yes.
MATT RUSH

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:55 pm 
Post subject:

A great post farmersboy and some terrific contributions all reflecting my own sentiments. The first final I ever saw on the telly,( at a mates house as we didn't have a telly then) when it was the only live game of the season was the "Matthews" cup final(remember Morty?) and I've watched every one since. Not out of genuine interest these days, more a sense of "I must keep this thing going". I must admit I sometimes "nod off" whether it's an age thing or disinterest I don't really know but back in the early days like most other contributors I could name the teams/captains/scores HT &FT/ scorers/ colours, even in the black and white days. I, like all my schoolmates looked forward to and talked about nothing else for weeks on end and acted out the final in the playground long before the event. We even re-enacted the match so far at half time in the street or a back yard then shot off to see the second half. At full time after the presentations I had to dash off to do my paper round and the conversations from house to house was all about the match. Then it was back to school on Monday for more re plays and conversations for at least another week. That's how much it meant to people
Many thanks again farmersboy and others for reminding me and others how much it meant to us all, unfortunately the enthusiasm is not there anymore. Shame!!!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:37 pm 
Post subject:

Cup Final day 1972 ... Nod

kenners46

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:16 pm 
Post subject:

Wasnt there also something on a Friday night as part of the build up ?
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:09 pm 
Post subject:

Apologies for the lateness of this post......I can only echo much of what has all ready been said about the FA Cup. For me it is a very special Cup competition and our win in 2008 is something that will stay with me to the grave.

Pictured below is my submission for the "Pompey Voices" Magical Memories from Pompey's 12th Man that appeared in the "Sports Mail" Portsmouth FC Publication dated 23rd April 2016.

markb9060

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:55 pm 
Post subject:

Great post...

My memories of the FA Cup Final as a kid in the mid 60's are still quite clear.

Showing my age here but I can remember before BBC 2 and Channel 4 when there were just the two stations...BBC 1 and ITV, the final and the build up was live on both and the whole country basically came to a halt.

You'd look forward to it for weeks and I can remember treating myself to a big bottle of lemonade (6d sticks in my mind possibly in the late 60's)

I particularly used to enjoy the 'Community Singing' which inevitably would start to get drowned out by the chants of rival supporters as kick off approached.

Still to this day those memories of the crowd singing that old Hymn 'Abide with me' before the National Anthem gives me goose bumps.

It's true that the the streets fell empty and silent apart from the town centres where mostly only women shoppers would frequent.

It's also true that the FA Cup is not the same as it was and I blame more the staging of the Semi-Finals there than anything else but it's a fact that since those boyhood memories of innocence and simplicity, the whole world has moved on irreversibly...sad but true.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: