Football Programmes Centre

Forest Green Rovers
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forest Green Rovers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:56 am 
Post subject:

I do see very great similarities between FGR and Man City for example. In the same way that FGR pay way over the odds for their players, skewing the market and unsettling it (per LittleWiggy), the City have done exactly the same with, for example, with Villa when a few years ago, they pretty much wiped out our very effective midfield.
Five and In

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:41 am 
Post subject: Forest Green Rovers

Firstly, I have no axe to grind with FGR, but fully understand where Wiggy is coming from.
The logic in me says they did it on the pitch so fair enough.
The traditionalist says I would prefer Orient (or Hartlepool, Tranmere etc) in the league any day instead of them.
The days of the re-election process are well behind us with the "closed shop" mentality that kept well deserving clubs like Altrincham out of the league because the "old boys" didn't want change.

There have always been big spenders in football. Clubs bankrolled by the wealthy to achieve success.
The Arab and Russian money at City and Chelsea are always highlighted as the reason for their success and I cannot disagree, but is it any different to Jack Walker throwing millions at Blackburn to win the title?

My big bug bear is when clubs buy players, not to enhance their own team, but to stop others from getting them.
Chelsea having nearly 40 players out on loan is an absolute joke and I'll go all the way back to Shaun Wright-Phillips when they threw money at him to blow Arsenal out of the hunt, only to make him their fourth choice left winger behind Duff, Robben and Cole. In my opinion his career never recovered and we never got to see just how good he really was.

The Red Bull Leipzig ownership is as concerning as the owners have several clubs in their portfolio. but while they have achieved Champions League football by finishing second in Germany, it appears they will not be allowed to enter as the owners also own Red Bull Salzburg the Austrian Champions.

Back to FGR, there is a part of me that is happy to see money going into the game at non league level, but like Salford and Crawley before them, there is something wrong in such excesses being spent by individual clubs, especially when so many others are really struggling.
The Salford story last season really hacked me off with the BBC coverage of their FA Cup run.
I really enjoyed the documentary about the Class of '92 involvement, but when it came to the televised matches, the bias towards them was poor.
At the time Northampton were trying to find pennies from "down the back of the sofa" to pay the bills and a live TV game would have really helped them. Instead we got yet another Salford game who obviously didn't need the money.

I'm guessing that this will not be the last we hear of it.
chelseachris

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:28 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Are you running the risk of being thrown out of the ground if you sneak a sausage roll or ham sandwich through the turnstiles?

I'm glad to read it wasn't just me who felt a bit uneasy about today's result (even though they were the better team on the day).

When I go there next season to keep up the 92 I will be sneaking in a ham roll and chicken legs for my pre match meal. Will also stand with the away supporters.
slightfold

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:02 pm 
Post subject:

Well chelseachris you food rebel you!. I would guess you are not Muslim or Jewish as you wouldn't be after the ham! Depending on when you visit it was always said do not eat pig unless there is an R in the month. Regarding the chicken go organic mate unless you like free penicillin!
Cool
mark01

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:37 pm 
Post subject:

chelseachris wrote

When I go there next season to keep up the 92 I will be sneaking in a ham roll and chicken legs for my pre match meal. Will also stand with the away supporters.

You'll need something to eat and drink after climbing that bloody hill!

regards, Mark
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: