Football Programmes Centre

Goals and Wickets - New website
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Goals and Wickets - New website
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:05 pm 
Post subject: New brief guide post to the News Chronicle Football Annual

Just posted a new article on the Goals and Wickets website, a brief guide to The News Chronicle Football Annual.

It's on the opening main homepage of the site and on top of the column of posts on Football Annuals on the football homepage too (also link below).

The original idea behind writing these brief guides was to fill a gap in information on the internet about the individual titles within the world of football (and cricket) memorabilia.

By definition, this situation has meant that many of the brief guides have been quite difficult to write as I've had to construct them from the actual memorabilia items themselves, as opposed to interviewing the people that worked on the titles or merging together different sources of information already in existence.

Along these lines, this post was a bit more difficult to write than some of the others on my site as there was so little information out there on the annual.

Indeed, some of the editions from the end of the 1930's are absent from the post, as these are the ones missing from my own collection (details will have to be added later).

But, as ever, I hope to have told the outline story of the annual with enough detail for fans, enthusiasts and collectors alike to get a basic knowledge of the annual and its life between 1930/31 and 1960/61 when the annual came to a close, although it was published under the title of The Football Annual in 1961/62 before being merged into the Playfair Football Annual the following season, 1962/63.

As ever, thanks in advance for any views and also any comments, corrections, suggestions are all welcome to help improve the post if I've got anything wrong or information gaps can be filled or added to;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......ll-annual/[url][/url]
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:42 pm 
Post subject:

The Goals and Wickets website is now 3 years old.

Thanks for the support, everyone, as there have been literally thousands of views on here - much appreciated.

I've written an anniversary update here;

https://www.facebook.com/goalsandwickets/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:09 am 
Post subject:

Just posted a new article on the Goals and Wickets website, a brief guide to The Flagstaff Cricket Annual (1953-1969).

It's on the opening main homepage of the site and on top of the column of posts on Cricket Annuals on the cricket homepage too (also link below).

The annual provides a lovely snapshot of the game between the early 1950's and the end of the 1960's when the annual ceased publication and disappeared as quickly as it started.

This post lacks a bit of background as there is absolutely nothing out there that I've found on Flagstaff Press or Roy Lester, the editor of the annual throughout its life.

As ever, thanks in advance for any views and also any comments, corrections, suggestions are all welcome to help improve the post if I've got anything wrong or information gaps can be filled or added to;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......et-annual/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:26 pm 
Post subject:

Just published the latest brief guide post on the Goals and Wickets website on the programmes for the League Cup Finals issued since the competition began in 1960/61.

The post will hopefully reinforce what experienced collectors on here will already know but also provide a basic guide for new or casual collectors too.

For football enthusiasts in general, the post will take you through each final with results and scorers as well as each programme.

Hopefully some good memories will be brought back, especially of the early years of the competition where a few lower league clubs, like Queens Park Rangers (with my brother in attendance) and Swindon Town pulled off stunning upsets in the days before squad rotation and the de-prioritisation of the competition in the modern money driven age took hold.

As always, thanks for any / all views;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......rogrammes/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:24 pm 
Post subject:

After acquiring a lovely job lot of 2 big boxes of old football annuals at the recent Stacey's auction put on by Dave Alexander, I've just updated the website post on pocket football annuals.

I've added a few new visuals and adjusted the content of the post in my attempts to tell the story more accurately, something that is not always easy to do as there is precious little information out there (the reason I began the posts) and it's often only by examining the items that I can start to understand what has gone on!

Although this post was one of the first ones I wrote on the site, meaning that a few people may well have already seen it, it may well also be the case that for others, the post has got lost / buried in all the ones I've written since.

So I hope for those seeing it again, it's a nice reminder and for those seeing it for the first time, it will be of fresh interest.

As always, thanks for any views and / or comments.

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......t-annuals/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:24 pm 
Post subject:

I've just published the latest brief guide post on the Goals and Wickets blog website on the International Football Book (it changed its name slightly after the 1st issue from The International Football Book for Boys).

This annual was one of the most popular of the time and was issued from 1959 through to 1992 by which time there were very few of the old style annuals still in publication.

It was the first and for some time, the only annual which looked at the game outside the UK as well as in it.

Although targeted at the younger market, this annual had some top football writers of the time (Brian Glanville, Willie Meisl) contributing to it as well as Tony Stratton-Smith, the editor (although his name appeared as a pseudonym on the annual - Stratton Smith).

This was the same man who founded Charisma Records (Genesis etc).

The annual always made claims about its photos and looking back, these were indeed, very good, something I've tried to reflect in the post.

The IFB's are a lovely run through football history between the 1960's and the 1990's both domestically and especially on the continent with plenty of mentions of the greats like Puskas, Pele, Best, Cryuff, Maradona and many others.

Their feel is a bit different as although the dust wrappers and finally, card covers. were all in colour, the contents were in b/w from start to finish.

As usual now, after a summary of the annual's story, there is a list with each annual shown and its main club content noted too.

All page views are much appreciated;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......ball-book/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:32 pm 
Post subject:

Just put a post on the Goals and Wickets blog about the possession football that is the current modus operandi of top sides these days and very much in evidence at Euro 2016.

Overall I've enjoyed the tournament (violence aside) but my TV fan enthusiasm has been whittled away by too much risk averse passing by all the teams.

I've started to crave a few shots on goal and goal mouth incidents both of which have been few and far between with defences dominating and attacking teams resorting to endless passing backwards and forwards as they seek a way to unlock the 2 banks of what often look like the human table footballers blocking their path.

Maybe the football will open up a bit as the tournament unfolds? I, for one, hope so.

The visuals in the post are taken from the programme from the 3rd European Championship Finals held in Italy back in 1968

The comments are, as ever, just my view but something I wanted to get off my chest.

As ever, thanks for any / all views and / or comments.

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......op-levels/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:06 pm 
Post subject: GROUNDHOG DAY AGAIN FOR THE ENGLAND FOOTBALL TEAM

Was going to write something about last night's England football team performance but checking back on the Goals and Wickets blog, I re-read what I'd written 2 years ago after England's exit from the 2014 World Cup.

Just about every word of that post applies today.

In the post, I commented on how then, not much had changed in the 7 years since that disappointing night in 2007 when Steve McClaren hid under his umbrella on a wet night at Wembley as Croatia tore us apart.

I listed the areas that always seem to come up as possible reasons or problem areas which need to be looked at ranging from how the England team is selected and prepared for major tournaments right down through the issues in domestic football to the academies and how our young footballers are developed.

As always, thanks for any views;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......yet-again/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:29 pm 
Post subject: NEW WEBSITE POST ON THE PLAYFAIR FOOTBALL ANNUAL

I've just published the latest brief guide post on the Goals and Wickets blog website on the Playfair Football Annual.

This annual was one of the most popular of the time and was issued in the late 1940's in the post-war years as interest in getting back to a normal life was in full swing and interest in football reflected this trend.

A competitor to the News of the World Football Annual (now the Nationwide Football Annual), the Playfair annual was published between 1948/49 and 2012/13 and was originally part of a stable of similar annuals published by Playfair Books covering cricket and rugby union as well as football.

The post will take you through a summary of the annual's life and then go into a bit more detail following the evolving covers, design, size / formats, editors and content of the annual through the decades of its existence.

In the post, there are visuals on all the front covers (other than one edition) and for the later editions, where there were photos of a different player to the one on the front, the back covers too.

As always, all page views are much appreciated, as are any comments on here or on the comments section below the post on the website;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......ll-annual/
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:34 pm 
Post subject:

I have a collection of Playfair Cricket Annuals from 1967 to 2010, they played an essential part of being a cricket follower which I've been all my life. I also bought the 1961 and 1962 editions (not called Playfair) recently. My brother has a complete run from when they started to now.

However, I stopped buying them in 2010 due to the start of the football-style transfer and loan system which renders the annual out of date before the season started. It was always prone to that anyway with the late hiring by a county of an overseas player, and by the late notification of a touring party, etc. Now counties loan a player for a month, or hire a player to play a few T20 games, and no printed publication can keep up with that - and I just can't be bothered with forking out whatever it is to have something that's so out of date.

Having said all that, I went to a day of Surrey v Notts last month, I met a mate there and during the day we bumped into another mate of mine - these 2 blokes had never met before. During the tea interval we were chatting about some of the Notts players and they BOTH got out their 2016 Playfairs. So I was immediately embarrassed and annoyed with myself for not having my own to refer to - but I haven't bought one yet!

As regards football Playfairs, I was given the 1963/4 one for either Xmas or my 8th birthday, and for some reason I cut Stanley Matthews out of the cover. I kept that edition without its cover until about 5 years ago when I saw the 63/4 one on Ebay in perfect condition and bought it for a few quid. I've never owned another one, although I did buy a couple of Topical Times Annuals (1930/1 & 1931/2) plus the News Chronicle Annual 1950/1 from boot or antique fairs a few years ago.

The cricket one scores over the football one because of the wealth of information included for each player, far greater than for football which is inevitable for 18 counties as opposed to 92 League clubs, plus Scottish. But the football one has loads of details and is still a very useful tool in its own right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:10 am 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
I have a collection of Playfair Cricket Annuals from 1967 to 2010, they played an essential part of being a cricket follower which I've been all my life. I also bought the 1961 and 1962 editions (not called Playfair) recently. My brother has a complete run from when they started to now.

However, I stopped buying them in 2010 due to the start of the football-style transfer and loan system which renders the annual out of date before the season started. It was always prone to that anyway with the late hiring by a county of an overseas player, and by the late notification of a touring party, etc. Now counties loan a player for a month, or hire a player to play a few T20 games, and no printed publication can keep up with that - and I just can't be bothered with forking out whatever it is to have something that's so out of date.

Having said all that, I went to a day of Surrey v Notts last month, I met a mate there and during the day we bumped into another mate of mine - these 2 blokes had never met before. During the tea interval we were chatting about some of the Notts players and they BOTH got out their 2016 Playfairs. So I was immediately embarrassed and annoyed with myself for not having my own to refer to - but I haven't bought one yet!

As regards football Playfairs, I was given the 1963/4 one for either Xmas or my 8th birthday, and for some reason I cut Stanley Matthews out of the cover. I kept that edition without its cover until about 5 years ago when I saw the 63/4 one on Ebay in perfect condition and bought it for a few quid. I've never owned another one, although I did buy a couple of Topical Times Annuals (1930/1 & 1931/2) plus the News Chronicle Annual 1950/1 from boot or antique fairs a few years ago.

The cricket one scores over the football one because of the wealth of information included for each player, far greater than for football which is inevitable for 18 counties as opposed to 92 League clubs, plus Scottish. But the football one has loads of details and is still a very useful tool in its own right.

Love the anecdote, Pete.

You'll smile when you see the title of my brief guide on the Playfair Cricket Annual.

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......et-annual/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:14 pm 
Post subject:

FOOTBALL CONTENT IN A CRICKET ANNUAL - In the latest brief guide post I've just published on Goals and Wickets, there is the interesting example of football being featured in a cricket publication.

In the 1967 edition of the Cricket Spotlight annual, published each year to raise funds for schools cricket by the English Schools Cricket Association (ESCA), England's 1966 World Cup win was featured with an article and a page with 2 photos; one showing Bobby Moore receiving the Jules Rimet Trophy and the other of the team with Moore holding the trophy proudly. There's a scan of these photos in the post.

This annual was an interesting one as it had the look and feel of a magazine although it was only published once a year and like most annuals, looked back at the season before and ahead to the one coming up.

Also, the reason for the annual's existence was one of fundraising. It was published by ESCA (English Schools Cricket Association) and all proceeds went to help fund schools cricket including matches organised by ESCA and the county schools organisations which sat below it.

The post will take you through a summary of the annual's life and then go into a bit more detail following the evolving covers and content of the annual through the 2 decades of its existence, edition by edition.

This period was one of great change in cricket. When the annual launched, there were no domestic one-day competitions in England and Wales; by its end, there were 3.

Spotlight was important to me when growing up. As cricket became more important to me, I remember the editions from the mid 1960's especially, one of which I used to hang around the back of the pavilion at Lord's to get the autographs of the Middlesex players whose fortunes I was now following.

A central feature of the annual from its 2nd edition in 1958 was a section on all the counties. This included a team photograph of each team with a review of their performance in the previous season. These photos alone are a lovely way to track the history of the teams from the late 1950's to the mid 1970's.

The England team and their Test series at home and abroad were also covered in every edition.

In the post, there are visuals on all the front covers

Thanks for any views on the website;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......spotlight/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:30 pm 
Post subject: BRIEF GUIDE TO THE ATHLETIC NEWS FOOTBALL ANNUAL NOW UPDATED

Thanks to Bill Furmedge of Wisdenworld, I have recently acquired a number of rarer Athletic News Football Annuals from 1928/29 to 1945/46.

This kind gesture has enabled me to update the Goals and Wickets website brief guide on the annual which began back in the late 1880's in response to the formation of the Football League and after various ownership and name changes, is still going today in the guise of the Nationwide Football Annual.

The News of the World Football Annual is probably the name that most football fans and memorabilia enthusiasts will know best as the annual took on that name between 1965 and 2008.

The editions received via Bill are quite rare and have a good vintage value. Even earlier editions of the annuals, especially the ones prior to the Great War can fetch up to £100 each, if in good condition.

I've added scans of the annuals I now have into the post and these include the editions issued in the World War 2 years, also ones quite sought after as print numbers were very probably reduced at the time.

I particularly like the front cover designs through the 1930's which are nice examples of interesting and attractive football graphic art.

The Athletic News Football Annual and its story are also included in the website post on the News of the World Football Annual on the site but because of the importance of the Athletic News in football memorabilia history, it has its own brief guide post and it's this one that I have updated.

As always, thanks for any views and also for any comments either on here or via the comments function beneath the website post;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......ll-annual/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:05 pm 
Post subject: NEW WEBSITE POST ON THE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS ANNUAL

The latest brief guide post on the Goals and Wickets blog website is on the Football Champions annual.

This annual was the newer version of the popular Big Book of Football Champions published through the 1950's and early 1960's.

From 1961/62, the annual lost its dust wrappers and had a slight name change: for one year, the annual was called the World Book of Football Champions, no doubt to fit with the 1962 World Cup Finals in Chile.

From the following year, publisher Purnell shortened the annual's title to Football Champions and that's how it stayed until the last edition, the 21st in the new style, in 1981/82.

The Football Champions annual had a simple idea behind it; namely to cover the successful teams in English and Scottish football in the previous season. The Home Internationals and European and World Cups were also covered as were the recipients of the top player awards.

Although there were other features on the usual sort of broader content that boys' football annuals often covered, these were kept to a minimum and were usually photo spreads under various themes.

For just over 2 decades, the Football Champions annual provided a simple and visually interesting snapshot of the top dogs in domestic football.

So this brief guide is really the second of a 2 part one if we include the brief guide to its predecessor, the Big Book of Football Champions which is already on the website.

In the post, there is the usual summary of the annual's story followed by a review of each annual year by year.

As always, all page views are much appreciated, as are any comments on here or on the comments section below the post on the website;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......ns-annual/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:36 pm 
Post subject: NEW WEBSITE POST ON THE BOOK OF SOCCER ANNUALS

The latest brief guide post on the Goals and Wickets blog website just published, is on another of the popular boys' football annuals of the post war years, the Book of Soccer.

Like some other boys' annuals titles of the time, publishers Stanley Paul used well known top players, 2 England captains, Wolves' Billy Wright and then West Ham United's Bobby Moore as editors.

Of course, the amount of actual editing these 2 stars actually did will never be known, although that doesn't matter as such player affiliations were a way to attract the young target audience of the books to read the annuals, usually after receiving them in their Christmas stockings.

Bill Wright was editor for numbers 1-7 and then Bobby Moore took over from number 8 and the annual's name was changed slightly: Billy Wright's Book of Soccer became the Book of Soccer edited by Bobby Moore.

For all its 14 editions, starting in 1958, spanning the 1960's and ending in 1971, the Book of Soccer annuals provided a simple and visually interesting snapshot of football during the period.

Indeed, the front covers of the first and last editions show some of the changes that had taken place in the game through that time. The look alone of Billy Wright in 1958 in his old-style baggy kit compared to a strong and athletic looking Martin Chivers taking on Bobby Moore in 1971, whilst only 14 years apart look as if they've been picked form eras much further apart.

In the post, there is the usual summary of the annual's story followed by a review of each annual and its main content identified by club, year by year.

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......l-annuals/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:21 pm 
Post subject: NEW WEBSITE POST ON THE SPORTSVIEW BOOK OF SOCCER ANNUALS

The latest brief guide post on the Goals and Wickets blog website just published, is on another of the popular boys' football annuals of the post war years, this time, the Sportsview Book of Soccer annuals.

I've titled the post Dimmock's Domain as Peter Dimmock was such a pivotal character in everything to do with the annuals and the programme they represented.

As a TV programme, albeit with no competition in days long before the satellite and digital age, Sportsview, established as a mid-week magazine programme, developed a viewership of over 8 million people weekly.

Grandstand developed off the success of Sportsview and became the Saturday afternoon sporting fix for many sports fans for many decades. General sports annuals were published under both programme's titles.

The top broadcasters of the era, David Coleman, Kenneth Wolstenholme contributed to the football annual before having annuals under their own names. Wally Barnes was also involved.

In the case of Sportsview, the football annual was first published in 1958 and lasted for 8 editions until just before the 1966 World Cup Finals, an ironic time to end, considering how well the annuals had covered the build-up to the tournament.

It may have been a coincidence but the annuals stopped their life around the same time that Peter Dimmock left the programme to take on other roles with the BBC.

Like most other annuals of the era, the Sportsview Book of Soccer looked back at the previous seasons highs and lows with excellent written and photo content on the top competitions, clubs and players.

The annuals are a lovely snapshot of their time but also a reminder of an iconic sports programme which set the bar for everything that followed in sports broadcasting.

In the post, there is the usual summary of the annual's story followed by a review of each annual year by year.

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......ok-soccer/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:27 pm 
Post subject: NEW WEBSITE POST - BENSON AND HEDGES CUP FINAL PROGRAMMES

I've just posted the latest brief guide post on the Goals and Wickets blog website which is a cricket one, on the programmes sold at Lord's each year between 1972-2002 for the Benson and Hedges Cup Final.

I know this is obviously a football site but I also know that there are a few cricket fans who are members.

Also, out of interest, the Gold Award winner in the first final back in 1972 was Carlisle United and Doncaster Rovers player, Chris Balderstone for his innings which helped secure victory for Leicestershire.

For those interested, at the top of the post, I give a potted history of the competition, the 3rd one-day competition to be launched into domestic cricket after the Gillette Cup and the John Player Sunday League, as well as a review of the programmes.

The Benson and Hedges Cup was very much cricket's league cup with a July final date, in contrast to the Gillette Cup which was cricket's end of season 'FA Cup' final in early September.

After that summary, I go through each year providing a summary of the format for the year, the scores in the final (with key player performances and Gold Award winner) and the key features of the programme with a focus on the cover designs which merged together images of cricket with those of the sponsor and their flagship brand at the time, Gold cigarettes.

I comment that albeit in hindsight, cigarette company sponsorships were on borrowed time as the health impacts of smoking became more common knowledge and government restrictions tightened up how companies like B & H could market their products to customers whether directly through general market advertising or indirectly through such sponsorships as with the B&H Cup.

The post does lay out a sort of timeline of domestic cricket between the early 1970's and the early 2000's with the Gold Award winners in the finals reminding us of many top players on the county circuit at the time both the Test players and the ones who didn't make it to international status but who were much loved at their county regardless.

In football, collecting FA Cup Final programmes has long been a popular aspect of the hobby but with cricket's cup finals, although they are collected, it may well be that the competitions are just not old enough yet.

Also, the collecting culture in cricket is still focused on scorecards as opposed to football-style programmes, even though there are more of these around now and not only for England ODI's but at county level too across all the formats

As always, thanks in advance for any views.

Also, comments and questions are always welcome on here, or from beneath the post on the Goals and Wickets Facebook page, the Twitter account, beneath the post on the website of through the Contact Us page on the website

A happy new year to everyone;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......rogrammes/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:40 pm 
Post subject: NEW WEBSITE POST - SEARCHING FOR SWANNELL

The latest post on the Goals and Wickets blog about a new connection made through the website and established through a rewarding meeting at the National Football Museum a few days ago.

Paul Gallagher, a former Ossett Albion, Manchester University, English Universities, British Students and Leatherhead player found the site whilst searching for an esteemed old team mate at Leatherhead.

The England Amateur International and former Hendon goalkeeper John Swannell was a player I had watched a number of times around the corner at the Green's Claremont Road ground.

Looking for John in his role for the XXI club at Manchester University (Swannell was at Manchester in 1960 when he played one match for Stockport County), Paul came across Goals and Wickets and suggested we meet.

There were plenty of links between us (coincidental or otherwise) as we shared our respective experiences as University footballers and afterwards too, in the early 1970's with me at Liverpool and Paul along the M62 at Manchester as the post unveils.

As ever, thanks for any views / comments;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......all-story/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:49 pm 
Post subject: NEW WEBSITE BRIEF GUIDE POST ON SHOOT! FOOTBALL MAGAZINE

The latest brief guide post on the Goals and Wickets blog website just published, is on one of the titans of the vintage football magazine market, SHOOT!

The magazine was initially positioned as 'A terrific new football paper for boys' and between 1969 and the mid 1980's was put together like a newspaper without staples. In later incarnations, including a period between 2001 and 2008, when the publication changed from a weekly to a monthly frequency and was competing fiercely with MATCH magazine, the look and feel of the magazine was upgraded, a broader positioning adopted and a wider audience age range targeted.

But for many football enthusiasts, it was those early years in the 1970's when SHOOT! was at its height that the paper made its mark, especially by offering a range of free gifts to readers including what have become quite iconic, the League Ladders and their tags.

Produced at the start of each season the ladders and tags, a fiddly cardboard contraption, were used to replicate the league tables as the new campaign got underway. Indeed, these cardboard gifts have become collectibles in their own right today.

Whilst the magazine came to an end in 2008 after just over 1,700 issues, in 2011, an organisation called the Pedigree Group took over the SHOOT! brand which can now be experienced in an e-magazine format, although the SHOOT! annual is still produced each year in traditional paper style.

As always, thanks for any / all views and comments on here, or via the page comments box under the post or via the website contact form are always welcome;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......-magazine/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:26 pm 
Post subject: NEW BLOG POST - KENNETH WOLSTENHOLME'S BOOK OF WORLD SOCCER

The latest brief guide post on the Goals and Wickets blog website just published, is on another of the popular boys' football annuals of the post war years, this time, Kenneth Wolstenholme's Book of World Soccer.

The title of the website post, 'Inside football stories told by Britain's foremost commentator', is taken from the annuals themselves and emphasises Kenneth Wolstenholme's status as the nation's top football commentator and one well connected within the game.

Before his rise up the broadcasting career ladder, Wolstenholme had been a decorated war-time pilot. He then became one of the leading figures developing T.V. sport at the B.B.C.

He launched Match of the Day and was the lead commentator at the corporation during the 1960's before being overtaken by David Coleman. Whilst in this role, he was commentator on the 1966 World Cup Final at the end of which, he uttered the famous line which has become so iconic, 'They think it's all over - it is now!'.

His football annual was first published in 1961 and lasted for 12 editions into the early 1970's with the last edition for 1973, published in 1972.
The content of the annual's were a good mix between themed articles on aspects of the game and features on the top clubs and players.

The annuals are a lovely snapshot of their time and a reminder of an iconic figure in the development of football broadcasting, especially on T.V.

In the post, there is the usual summary of the annual's story followed by a review of each annual year by year. Finally, there is a quick look at 3 World Cup annuals which were not in the Book of World Soccer series but were edited by Wolstenholme nontheless.

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......ld-soccer/
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: