Football Programmes Centre

Is size important in jersey collecting?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Is size important in jersey collecting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uczniostwo

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:05 pm 
Post subject: Is size important in jersey collecting?

Hi

Is here some jersey collector? I am begining collector of soccer jersey. My first oven a dozen jerseys bought in one size - size L. I never used this jerseys, they lie in wardrobe.

Is size important in jersey collecting or it doesn't matter? Can somebody write some advise in this topic? I tried write an e-mails to jersey collectors, but nobody replied me. I want to be small jersey collector in future, but I cannot find information as rules or principals of jersey collecting.

Please help me or write what do you think about sizes in collecting Smile
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:56 pm 
Post subject:

Hi, it depends whether you collect for investment or for your own pleasure.

I used to collect shirts, and from a point of selling them at a later time, then yes, adult large (L) sizes are far more important and desirable to other collectors and get the best prices.

Same goes for the standard player (XL) sizes.
These are the best to collect.

Youth and child sizes (S) / (XS) are not good for collecting, and are harder to sell. They are worth much less.

If you collect only small sizes, you might struggle to recoup your investment should you ever need to.

Hope this helps mate.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Uczniostwo

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:22 pm 
Post subject:

I collect the jerseys for pleasure. Maybe in future I will start with blog about soccer jerseys. I think I never sell my jerseys.

I'm thinking about collecting only men's jerseys - from size S to XXL, not only L as now. I missed few good deals in past, because jerseys were in another size than L, but I very much wanted to have all jerseys in one sieze L.

I start thinking about another sizes last time, because I got gift from my friend - old jersey in XXL size. Now I have all jersey L size and one XXL. I have one gap in my collection and I know person, who want to sell a jersey which I need. It is size M, thus collecting in various sizes may be huge advantage, because I will be able to buy jerseys which I need to fill in my collection. Next advantage is I will buy more jerseys to my collection in various size (S-XXL), than only in one size (L). I'm only afraid of consistency of the collection - XXL jerseys which I got is very huge, but... it is a jersey, and those jersey is better than nothing, isn't it?
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:37 pm 
Post subject:

If I was you Uczniostwo, I would only collect size L, XL, XXL.

A small size is ok to fill a gap in your collection, but not as desirable.

Good luck with your collection, it sounds lovely.
Remember to come back and show us some pictures as your collection grows.

Thumbs Up

Jamesy1926

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:43 pm 
Post subject:

I collect shirts myself and go up from medium to XL however it depends on whether you are collecting matchworn jerseys or replicas.

If the option was there I would always go for a Large jersey but sometimes with matchworn jerseys this isn't possible.

If it's matchworn, I don't care about the size to be honest.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:02 pm 
Post subject:

Yes you're quite right Jamesy, a matchworn shirt is desirable regardless and size won't affect its value.

If you collect matchworn shirts from the 1970s / 80s, you'll also find most of these are what appears to be small (very small in some cases) even though the labels may say large. Especially the nylon 70s shirts.

This is because the material suffers from natural shrinkage with age, and can be quite extreme in some cases.

I had a few "large" Newport matchworn shirts from the 70s and they were tiny. The sleeves in particular suffer greatly if long-sleeved.
Although it is a good pointer as to whether a shirt from that era is the genuine article.

Uczniostwo

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:11 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks littlewiggy for you opinion Smile

Jamesy1926, I collect only replicas. I know there are people who think that collecting replica jerseys isn't "real collectioning", but matchworn jerseys are harder to achive, especially in Eastern Europe countries.

Thanks for opinions guys. I will collect men's jerseys in various sizes Smile
bigearl79

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:33 am 
Post subject:

I collect Scunthorpe United shirts. The most recent I am missing is the 90-92 away shirt. I have a mixture of replica and match worn. Ideally I want ones that I can wear, which is medium or large. I do have a couple larger but as soon as I find the same in a wearable size, I replace. I also collect other Scunthorpe clothing on a similar principle.
Uczniostwo

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:29 pm 
Post subject:

bigearl79, you have great collection. I am United fan since 2002, thatsway my collection is smaller.

Guys, I have one more question. I always bought jerseys in official shop or big shops to have original jerseys. Now United has jerseys from Adidas, and Adidas has very clearly system for jerseys marking. Every jersey has two things - catalog number (model number) and unique code. This two things are on paper label and also in inner tag in jersey. It is very simple to spot if jersey is original, because fake jerseys don't have those two things. I got Real Madrid jersey (2015/16 home):

http://imgur.com/a/6kSgH

But in Nike... Nike jerseys have only catalog number on paper label and inner tag. They don't have unique number as Adidas jerseys. Photo of my United jerseys (2006/07 and 2011/12):

http://imgur.com/a/7jlfW

Why is "authentic number" on Nike jerseys, when it isn't on the paper label like in Adidas? Can I verify this authentic number somewhere or it doesn't matter how is authentic number?

Maybe do you have some tutorial how spot fake soccer jersey from every company (Puma, Umbro, Nike etc.)?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: