Football Programmes Centre

Bristol and Cardiff shops worth a visit?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bristol and Cardiff shops worth a visit?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:03 am 
Post subject: Bristol and Cardiff shops worth a visit?

Hi all.

Got a couple of days off the Island this week. Are there any programme and/or memorabilia shops in Cardiff or Bristol that are worth a visit?

Cheers,

Toby.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:09 pm 
Post subject: Bristol and Cardiff shops worth a visit?

Hi yachtsman, good look with your Bristol and Cardiff search. Out of interest, is the lsle of Wight football memorabilia that you look out for very sought after? What is your earliest item of memorabilia? I do remember seeing at an auction , a scrapbook full of memorabilia about the lsle of Man. Inside the book was a couple of flyers for Everton games on the island. I think they were 1950s, not certain. Because they were glued in, l gave it a miss. l have also seen old football and rugby caps for lsle of Man teams. l don't think they sold for much. On a different subject, l saw one of the lsle of Wight bands from the 1969 and1970 festivals ,a couple of weeks ago. The Who put on a great 2 hour show. Townshend's intro for 'My Generation' went like this,, "l didn't think I'd be singing this load of f---ing crap when l was 73, but if you want to hear it then we'll play it! "
matt blue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:15 pm 
Post subject:

Toby,

Theres nowt in Cardiff I'm afraid, the only place I can suggest is charity shops at best, the club shop has a programme shop but only opens on match days.

Matt

Take a look at my work in progress !!
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:11 pm 
Post subject:

matt blue wrote:
Toby,

Theres nowt in Cardiff I'm afraid, the only place I can suggest is charity shops at best, the club shop has a programme shop but only opens on match days.

Matt

Same here in Bristol I am afraid.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:21 pm 
Post subject:

Apart from Almondvale in Edinburgh, myself in Prestatyn, and The Back Page in Newcastle are there any other footy memorabilia shops around? Think there is one in Bournemouth that opened recently but not sure. Using our collective knowledge can we put together a definitive list between us? Not talking matchday pitches outside grounds or market stalls but bona fide shops. Can't be many of us about!
Diolch
Mark Thumbs Up
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:55 pm 
Post subject:

If you also like lots of Pound Shops and Pawn Shops, then Newport High Street is the place for you Yachty my friend, and it's nicely situated in between those two terrible places you mention.

Smile

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
matt blue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:57 pm 
Post subject:

two terrible places Laughing Laughing funny enough we say the same about east and west of diff Smile

littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:08 pm 
Post subject:

Haha, and you'd be right sadly Matt!

Thumbs Up

programme_seller

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:20 pm 
Post subject:

quote:-

Apart from Almondvale in Edinburgh, myself in Prestatyn, and The Back Page in Newcastle are there any other footy memorabilia shops around? Think there is one in Bournemouth that opened recently but not sure. Using our collective knowledge can we put together a definitive list between us? Not talking matchday pitches outside grounds or market stalls but bona fide shops. Can't be many of us about!
Diolch

Good shop at Hillsborough:-

97 Leppings Lane
Hillsborough
Sheffield

Last edited by programme_seller on Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:45 am; edited 3 times in total
Blackjack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:25 pm 
Post subject:

ummmm Littlewiggy don't agree with Matt for God's sake !!! Smile
matt blue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:26 pm 
Post subject:

Only 3 hours away from Cardiff and Bristol.

I do agree though it is a very good shop having used it myself on my numerous visits to hillsborough

Blackjack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:29 pm 
Post subject:

But in response to the original post I havent seen many football shops I'm afraid.... but I love going to the 1 in Newcastle when i visit my mum..I'm like a kid in a sweet shop, also i enjoy rooting around antique shops as there are a few who sell football programmes and other football stuff...there used to be 1 in Carmarthen that does and theres 1 in Narberth, West Wales ( my neck of the woods) that sell a few programmes but nothing spectacular Sad
matt blue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:30 pm 
Post subject:

Blackjack wrote:

Wave Wave Ayatollah Ayatollah Ayatollah Laughing Laughing

Blackjack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:39 pm 
Post subject:

Shake Shake Shake Laughing Laughing
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:44 pm 
Post subject:

Blackjack wrote:

Lol, I was walking around Kardiff city centre a couple of weeks back, felt like I'd taken a twenty-minute ride to communist Eastern Europe getting off the train in our city centre afterwards!

I can't lie.

littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:46 pm 
Post subject:

Meant to say, we had a programme shop here in town a few years back, The Corner Post, but it didn't last too long unfortunately.

Every time I went there or walked past it was deserted sadly.

yachtsmun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:32 am 
Post subject:

Cheers all for your responses - shame no new emporiums for me to visit but like Mark pointed out, they're few and far between these days (I will make it to Prestatyn at some point, mate). Didn't stumble across the Hillsborough shop on either of my visits although there was a decent one around the corner from Bramall Lane, as I recall. Think I went in the Newcastle one once too (is it below street level?) although that was 20+ years ago. Also, is Almondvale the prog shop next to Easter Road? He didn't have any I.W. stuff, unsurprisingly...

Haven't been to the new CCFC yet but my abiding memory of the programme shop at Ninian Park was taking refuge in there while the bulk of the travelling Peterborough support were getting their noses bloodied c.Nov. 93 after a 2-1 away win.

If any of you are ever passing through Newport Pagnell, Ken's is a fantastic memorabilia shop. The football programmes are overpriced for the market these days but as a nipper there were some bargains to be found. He's got a ton of other interesting stuff too. I defy anyone to go in and not spend at least an hour browsing, and probably leaving laden with heavier bags and a lighter wallet.

Did find a stand in the indoor market in Cardiff selling progs back in the 1990's - mostly egg-chasing but some football too - I'll probably give that a try again. And Little Wiggy, as it goes it's quite likely I'll stop off in Newport en-route for a quick visit to Rockaway Records. TJ's also used to be a destination of choice, sadly missed these days.

So anyway, cheers all again. Off to the mainland tomorrow...
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:45 am 
Post subject: Re: Bristol and Cardiff shops worth a visit?

Flaming Pie wrote:
Out of interest, is the lsle of Wight football memorabilia that you look out for very sought after? What is your earliest item of memorabilia?

Sought after by me, yes! There's 3-4 other collectors I know of. Decent stuff still turns up moderately regularly down here (it's a bit of a fish trap) but I haven't picked up a decent load for a while locally. I've got some original team photos from the 1880's and three programmes from the 1897-8 season, plus a few other Victorian bits like scrapbooks. Pre-WW2 programmes are pretty scarce though, although Cowes, Ryde and Newport were all issuing regularly in that era.

Flaming Pie wrote:
On a different subject, l saw one of the lsle of Wight bands from the 1969 and1970 festivals ,a couple of weeks ago. The Who put on a great 2 hour show. Townshend's intro for 'My Generation' went like this,, "l didn't think I'd be singing this load of f---ing crap when l was 73, but if you want to hear it then we'll play it! "

Yeah by all accounts they were pretty good at the re-started IW festival a few years back, although I missed that particular night. It's music tempting me off the Island for this trip - there's an Island band called Plastic Mermaids starting a GB tour off in Cardiff then Bristol. Somewhere on the line between Sigur Ros and Flaming Lips there's a turning pointing to the beach, and they're somewhere down there. Not my usual kind of listening, but they're sublime to my ears...
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:48 am 
Post subject:

And FAO Blackjack - it may surprise you to know the 'Mun' part of my moniker is a nod to an 80's/90's surf/skate/scene zine from Mumbles called 'The Mun'. Strange, but true...
infoman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:16 am 
Post subject:

Found out recently that Mangotsfield football club,which is East of Bristol.
Has a programme shop open on match days,although their fixtures are now complete.
I also thought Crewe still had a match day programme shop still open.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: