Football Programmes Centre

Auction Houses Bad Experiences
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Auction Houses Bad Experiences

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:52 am 
Post subject: Auction Houses Bad Experiences

I buy and sell the odd item at auction Houses. Over two years ago, l placed some golf , tennis ,cricket and football memorabilia at an auction house who plug themselves on this forum. As far as l know the golf items were never put up for auction. One of them was a 'Silence Please' British Open , Royal Birkdale golf sign.These are held up by course stewards. The annoying thing is that l put them in the sale for a relative. Out of embarrassment.l told him in the end that they had sold and paid him the money ( l just made up a figure) out of my own pocket. This was after contacting them several times to ask when they would ever be placed in an auction. I don't thing the items were of great value, so the stress of pursuing this firm through the courts seemed pointless. lt was not Football Sports Auctions. After that, l decided never to offer to sell anything for anyone else ever again. A lesson learnt. Also, l only put items in auction houses that can be retrieved within reasonable travelling distance if they don't sell. Although l have given up on these golf items, it annoys me when l see this firm plugging themselves on this forum.
Wullie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:03 pm 
Post subject:

Well i am sorry to hear your story. Of course we would love to hear who this auction house is. It's sounds very much like the notorious Mr Lane. Whilst there are some very decent people on the forum who run perfectly honest bushiness there are one or two downright crooks as we all know.
I would hate to upset the decent people , and they will defend their reputation, but i am alarmed at the lack regulation auction houses have. Basically they are an invitation for legalised theft. Spend enough time studying them and you'll be amazed. As i say, i don't tar everyone with the same brush , but be very very careful if you offer anything to auction.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:21 pm 
Post subject: Auction Houses Bad Experiences

As you said Wullie, there are some very reputable auction houses .They are not all the same. Although l was not a member of this forum at the time, l read about your horrific experience and other people's, with Football Sports Auctions. As l said in my original post, it was not him.
RoddyN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:10 pm 
Post subject:

I think you should name and shame.
Wullie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:43 pm 
Post subject:

RoddyN wrote:
I think you should name and shame.

For legal reasons it could be difficult , on the other hand, the reason Lane got away with it for so long was very little came out on the forum. My own fault. I should only have got in touch with the knowledgeable members of the forum privately and i would have been told to stay well clear of him.
Flaming Pie seems to have made the same mistake as me. With hindsight a foolish mistake , that is post items off on trust.
What amazes me still , is that clients money does not have to be kept separate from the auctioneers takings. So basically , if the guy runs up debts then he can quite lawfully dip in to clients funds. Personally i will only ever use eBay again. Looks like Mr Lane thinks the same. Laughing For a bankrupt he seems to have an incredible amount of stock.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:37 pm 
Post subject:

With eBay such a readily available tool, I'm amazed anyone uses the auction house route these days.
It seems fraught with problems and hidden costs, and as a collector-seller I much prefer to be in charge of my own destiny.

I'd only ever sell through built-up personal contacts or eBay, even though I think the latter are legalised robbers.
At least that way nothing ever leaves me until I have the folded in my hand, and I'm in complete control throughout.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
neffblake

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:15 am 
Post subject:

I just love playing Golf especially with my friends on weekends somewhere out of town. And I especially love watching the Masters golf tournament in the evenings. This is really very interesting. So sorry that the tickets are so expensive. Daily Tournament tickets cost $115 each plus any appropriate shipping and handling, if applicable. The application deadline for both Practice Rounds and Daily Tournament tickets for the 2020 Masters Tournament is June 2, 2019. I hope I will reach it one day. But now I can just sit on the forum Windtree Golf and talk about golf)

Last edited by neffblake on Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
RoddyN

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:51 am 
Post subject:

PM sent.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: