Football Programmes Centre

Man United collection at Sportingold today
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Man United collection at Sportingold today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMusic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:37 pm 
Post subject: Man United collection at Sportingold today

That seemed to be some Manchester United programme collection on sale at Sportingold today - has an eminent MUFC collector sold up whom we might know of (obviously we assume not LM!)?

Also, is there an easy way of knowing whether an item has sold or has just not reached reserve? When following the auction live on the Saleroom, it seems to state that every item sells...
lincolnredman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:56 pm 
Post subject: sportingold

if you go on sportingold website and click on the sale results tab at the top of the page all of todays results are there Very Happy
TheMusic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:01 pm 
Post subject:

Great, thanks. I wonder why the Saleroom insists that every item keeps selling... Sherlock Smile
PABLO76

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:18 pm 
Post subject: Re: Man United collection at Sportingold today

TheMusic wrote:
That seemed to be some Manchester United programme collection on sale at Sportingold today - has an eminent MUFC collector sold up whom we might know of (obviously we assume not LM!)?

Also, is there an easy way of knowing whether an item has sold or has just not reached reserve? When following the auction live on the Saleroom, it seems to state that every item sells...

Hi mate, hope you're well.

Any more details on this Utd collection at all?

Paul.
TheMusic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:24 pm 
Post subject:

I didn't know anything about it until I logged on this morning - loads of pre-war and wartime (1st Man U home was 1914, I think), especially aways, probably complete early pre-war sets including the infamous Sunderland 47/48 and others... etc, etc.

I just thought it was such a good collection to come up in one go that it would probably be from a collector whom we might all know or have heard of. Then again, it could have simply been from the family of a hardcore Red Devils fan of the early-mid 1900s! Smile
Posh1959

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:32 pm 
Post subject:

Some strange prices imo today some very high some pretty low. Leeds v Man U 46/7 £1500 inc add ons thankfully I already have my copy at near half that price. Blackburn v Man U 45/6 the most expensive copy I have ever seen at £900 including add ons usually a fair bit less. BPA v Man U 45/6 and 46/7!the cheapest I have ever seen them. Glad I am not a United collector.
Posh1959

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:34 pm 
Post subject:

I guess that LM finally has his coveted Grimsby away 47/8
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:26 pm 
Post subject:

Posh1959 wrote:
I guess that LM finally has his coveted Grimsby away 47/8

Thanks to a couple of collectors, one of which is one this Forum and another who are both very advanced fellow United collectors I was able to have a better opportunity to secure the item, so my thanks goes out to them both.

Thumbs Up

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:07 pm 
Post subject:

TheMusic wrote:
I didn't know anything about it until I logged on this morning - loads of pre-war and wartime (1st Man U home was 1914, I think), especially aways, probably complete early pre-war sets including the infamous Sunderland 47/48 and others... etc, etc.

I just thought it was such a good collection to come up in one go that it would probably be from a collector whom we might all know or have heard of. Then again, it could have simply been from the family of a hardcore Red Devils fan of the early-mid 1900s! Smile

Not me I am afraid!, although I do not know the name of the collector as that is what he was who has started to sell off his collection, I think it is fair to say that the next few Sportingold sales will be featuring much, much more of the same United content wise as what was on offer yesterday has only scratched the surface.

I felt most of the Pre-War Away's were highly priced[but some as Posh mentioned had dipped a lot] as this is what you will find when someone is simply unwilling to bring his hand down and will pay and pay to keep everyone at bay-yes it is great for the vendor and the Auction people but long term paying out big amounts now does not guarantee that the prices will be sustained in years to come as they once were, as now there are very few entering the hobby & those that sit at the top end as the mature collector either have it or has decided not to let his heart rule his head ANYMORE [as they also could be looking to exit and cash in whilst they can?] so for a lot of the "bread n butter post war league and cup programmes, certainly Manchester United wise their prices have been falling consistently for quite a few years now, except for the "specials" and even some of the rare or scarce postponed never sold yesterday but no doubt they will be regurgitated again soon enough.

I can remember paying £40 for a Chelsea v Man United programme from 1908-09 and the dealer telling me after he trousered my money in around 1984 that I was a looney paying that much, I also remember winning the 1908 Charity Shield at Chelsea both games and the 1911 also at Chelsea from Sports Programmes over a 2 year period back in the late 1980's and making crazy bids of around £300 a piece and Roy Calmels saying to me, yes you have paid a very high price and wiped out the opposition but one day it will be a sound investment-he was certainly correct about that!.

So to continue my point quality always sells but some of the prices yesterday were quite astonishing Doncaster v United 1935-6 with cellotape edge went for around £900 yet Doncaster in the league in 1938-9 in a better nick went for less than a £100-crackers. Wrexham v United 1943-4 hit £900+ and probably went to a Wrexham collector who is no doubt on this Forum-he would have expected that to have gone for maybe a max of a 100-150 if it was not MU just having to fight off other Wrexham collectors but probably realised as it is MU so it is going to get some of the big hitters involved and it did better be prepared!

Still many may hate Man United but when it comes to selling some of their stuff they seldom get disappointed.

Aston Villa v MU 1906-7 sold for £840 same season v anyone else would not have scratched £150 on a good day with the sun shining and the birds singing!, then again Manchester United was a fledgling club in only their 5th season of existence and how many of those are going to turn up on a regular basis?, yes yes I know my old adage of where there is one and all of that but sometimes it does simply not show however with this Villa item there are 3-4 copies I know off in collections.

I know of a couple of other rare items involving both Newton Heath & MU that have surfaced once in my lifetime and have never been seen again for at least 25-35 years respectfully.....

All good fun, looking forward to see what else is coming up next month at Sportingold.....

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!

Last edited by manchesterunitedman1 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
TheMusic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:13 pm 
Post subject:

Very interesting, Leslie, thanks. Out of interest (and feel free not to answer), did you pick up much for yourself yesterday?
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:35 pm 
Post subject:

TheMusic wrote:
Very interesting, Leslie, thanks. Out of interest (and feel free not to answer), did you pick up much for yourself yesterday?

few bits n pieces Sherlock

bigdoddsy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:41 am 
Post subject:

An interesting read.

I got caught up yesterday and so missed the auction but equally some odd patterns witnessed on the Newcastle items too with some going for what I and other collectors considered very high to others not selling.

Ultimately it boils down to how much any two or so folk want an item on a given day but I concur with the view that this doesn't establish an items true worth or value.

Ive possibly been watching too many FBI series whilst off sick but my curiosity is slightly peeked by the patterns in a couple of areas - any collectors of other teams witness the same at this sale?
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:28 am 
Post subject:

Posh1959 wrote:
Some strange prices imo today some very high some pretty low. Leeds v Man U 46/7 £1500 inc add ons thankfully I already have my copy at near half that price. Blackburn v Man U 45/6 the most expensive copy I have ever seen at £900 including add ons usually a fair bit less. BPA v Man U 45/6 and 46/7!the cheapest I have ever seen them. Glad I am not a United collector.

Blackburn Rovers v Manchester United sold on ebay yesterday for £570.

Seller had a £500 reserve it seems and advised that this has recently sold for £750-so they did everything right to market their item.

Surely, whoever else was bidding at Sportingold on Friday must have been aware that it sold for a very high price would have been sniffing around this item, especially as it had been up for sale for a week prior or so.
Compared to Friday's price of around £900 all in, this was not so much a "bargain" but certainly a very decent price for such a tough item to find.

I bet ur "more than glad" you are not a United collector especially when having to face such fierce competition for the older programmes and collectibles, the price of following a club that has had more success than any other since the end of WW2.

Get My Coat

Wave

Jim LFC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:38 am 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
a club that has had more success than any other since the end of WW2.

Get My Coat

Wave

Wave Wave Wave Scouse Scouse Scouse

Morning Leslie, hope you are well!! Very Happy
TheMusic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:49 am 
Post subject:

Bang average first half of the club's history tho, eh? Wink

Anyway, looking forward to seeing those bits and pieces on a certain Flickr site soon Smile

Do you already have a rough idea of what will come up in the next couple of auctions from the same collection or is it still largely an unknown? Not sure which would be better!
RoddyN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:11 pm 
Post subject:

Why don't you contact the auction house? They may perhaps give you a flavour.
bigdoddsy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:51 pm 
Post subject:

one of the few benefits of following a team successful in abject failure
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:17 pm 
Post subject:

I've been chatting to Ray (Treble99) and this might throw some light on things ...

It is the collection of somebody who appeared about 10 years ago on ebay. He had sold his business and had gone to the Channel Island for tax purposes.

He was a United fan and decided to buy quality Manchester United items with very little knowledge. He asked me to help him and for the next 4 years I supplied him with over 90% of what he has.
Now, for whatever reason he has stopped collecting and put it up for sale.

... you can see some of the items in question on his Flickr site ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/63580000@N04/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:37 pm 
Post subject:

Jim LFC wrote:
manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
a club that has had more success than any other since the end of WW2.

Get My Coat

Wave

Wave Wave Wave Scouse Scouse Scouse

Morning Leslie, hope you are well!! Very Happy

I am Jim, I am and none more better than today Laughing Wave

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:07 am 
Post subject:

[quote="TheMusic"]Bang average first half of the club's history tho, eh? Wink

Major Honours Newcastle United

League Champions 1905, 1907, 1909, 1927
Barclays First Division Champions 1993
Division Two Champions 1965
Division Two Promotion 1898, 1948, 1984
FA Cup Winners 1910, 1924, 1932, 1951, 1952, 1955
League Cup Runners Up 1976
Fairs Inter Cities Cup Winners 1969
FA Charity Shield Winners 1909
Anglo Italian Cup Winners 1973
Texaco Trophy Winners 1974,

that adds up to 20 1898-2017 Alex Ferguson won more in his time at United alone, so I think you need to consider that people in glass houses should not throw stones Matt Laughing Laughing Wave

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: