Football Programmes Centre

How I store my collection
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How I store my collection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:02 am 
Post subject:

PABLO76 wrote:
Finally finished re-cataloguing my Man Utd programmes, now to sell on all the spares.

4600 different progammes, from 1946 to present season, haven't started on the hundreds of tickets yet, let alone books, magazines and god knows what else!

If you are looking for anything Utd related, ask me, I might have it.

Well Done Pablo!

Getting it all in the same space is a big effort and you have certainly achieved that, so much easier to "get too" whatever items you want to see when it is like this-keep up the good work and you can start on the opposite wall now! Thumbs Up

Leslie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:17 am 
Post subject:

Very impressed with all this storage I must be one of the very few to see the impressive Leslie Millman Collection.
Even if it was many years ago i came out gobsmacked and its one of those things in life you do not forget Bow

As a dealer my stuffs all over the place, I have all my bulk stock of around 100,000 in moms garage. My fair, ebay and decent stock is in a lock up.
I live in a two bedroom apartment and i have a few bits here
My West Bromwich Albion programmes Homes and away in Europe are stored IN A SHOE BOX Very Happy
mr benn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:31 am 
Post subject:

Nice work Pablo. I dont think I will bother showing my 2 shelves of binders ...but size isnt everything Very Happy

Have sent you a pm as well if thats okay.

Keep the photos coming guys, its certainly inspiring not just me Im sure.
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:12 pm 
Post subject:

Superb work Pablo. Looks very tidy.

One day I'll get there!..... Wink
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:59 pm 
Post subject:

Apologies if someone has already posted this but here are those big personalised binders on Ebay for anyone interested;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-.....3cd04c931a
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:48 pm 
Post subject:

As this has been mentioned the other day then i thought it would be a good idea to show the many members and their posts on this subject from recent times.
in 2013 there was some good debate, so please go back to page one of the postings to see how the discussion evolved...

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
slightfold

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:09 pm 
Post subject:

It is quite magnificent to see such brilliant storage of a collection. This must be great if you have the time and dedication to create. For some the need to just store might well be governed by space, and a sacrifice for accessibility might be needed. My own collection (boxes) vies with books and LP's and her indoors who does not like seeing any of it,
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:15 pm 
Post subject:

This is how I store my collection. The pic below contains programmes starting from Jan 1906 up till May 2006. The binders are all bought from our supporters club show and nowadays three are required to store one season.

Cheers, Jamie.

Then the next pic is Season 2006-07 up till this season.

[/img]

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
morgan1927

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:20 am 
Post subject: binders

[img] when I saw those pictures was so impressed I started doing the same[/img]
ntw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:18 pm 
Post subject:

Well it's taken a couple of years, but I've finally re-housed my entire Warrington RL collection (well, first team progs at least!)

A house move & major extension in the past 3 years, together with a very generous Xmas present off the missus, meant I got not just a whole room, but the chance to do something bespoke.

After much deliberating, I went with a local bookbinder based in Leeds, Hollingworth & Moss, who did an excellent job producing the folders. These were done to my own spec, allowing me to vary width & number per season depending on requirement, with text on the spine to match. These contain punched pockets, which are a mix of A4 80 micron polypropylene (5 Star Premier) for the majority, with some oversized A4 ones from Donside Plastics for slightly larger/thicker A4 progs. In each pocket I've also included an acid-free comic backer board from Comicare, and my pre-1965 progs (when covers typically moved to the glossy colour style) are also held in the pocket in a Melinex polyester sleeve (various sized Polyweld pockets, from Conservation Resources). Finally, I went for glass fronted shelving from another local supplier (Ikea!).

The pics don't do the finished product justice IMO; it's a bit hard to photograph, being on two opposite walls, and the glass doors/lighting makes it hard to capture (without seeing me taking the pic!), but I've done my best to at least give a flavour.

Very pleased with the end result. Now just got the rest of the collection to sort out!!

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:35 pm 
Post subject:

ntw wrote:
Well it's taken a couple of years, but I've finally re-housed my entire Warrington RL collection (well, first team progs at least!)

A house move & major extension in the past 3 years, together with a very generous Xmas present off the missus, meant I got not just a whole room, but the chance to do something bespoke.

After much deliberating, I went with a local bookbinder based in Leeds, Hollingworth & Moss, who did an excellent job producing the folders. These were done to my own spec, allowing me to vary width & number per season depending on requirement, with text on the spine to match. These contain punched pockets, which are a mix of A4 80 micron polypropylene (5 Star Premier) for the majority, with some oversized A4 ones from Donside Plastics for slightly larger/thicker A4 progs. In each pocket I've also included an acid-free comic backer board from Comicare, and my pre-1965 progs (when covers typically moved to the glossy colour style) are also held in the pocket in a Melinex polyester sleeve (various sized Polyweld pockets, from Conservation Resources). Finally, I went for glass fronted shelving from another local supplier (Ikea!).

The pics don't do the finished product justice IMO; it's a bit hard to photograph, being on two opposite walls, and the glass doors/lighting makes it hard to capture (without seeing me taking the pic!), but I've done my best to at least give a flavour.

Very pleased with the end result. Now just got the rest of the collection to sort out!!

As they used to say a while back totally and utterly "Ab-Fab"! Clap
looks incredible set up, why not take a photo standing outside the room so that we can see the length and the depth and both sides perhaps without you being in the way regarding the reflections.

I used to have the same All Black binders but have moved away to different colours as in those days none of the pockets were Acid Free but i use Secol pages-may i suggest also you can try the secol V strip which allows you to cut up to any size to hold the item in the page and it never moves unless you remove it-anyway if u want some further details just send me a PM.

I would also like some information on the binders you have chosen and the types of pockets sounds interesting.

Wave

Leslie

There are some images on here to show what i was referring too above.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjevJPsS

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:24 am 
Post subject:

ntw wrote:

One word ntw - stunning!

Looks absolutely superb mate.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:46 am 
Post subject:

That really is superb, what a lovely job, nice one!
Fishy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:05 am 
Post subject:

As above! Stunning.
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:07 pm 
Post subject:

The cabinets are beautiful too, it looks like something you'd see at the Governing Body's Headquarters as opposed to a private collection.
Very professional.

Looks expensive too, but you chose very well indeed ntw.

CodeXIII

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:01 pm 
Post subject:

Amazing job Neil,
Looks the part and allows the Warrington collection to keep growing!
pompey gaz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:15 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, I've got to agree with the comments of the other gentlemen they are very impressive indeed, I myself keep my Pompey collection in plastic sleeves , very easy for the older ones where I can get perhaps 3 or 4 months in 1 pocket , but from the millennium onwards I find that I'm getting 1 month per pocket and then with clubs producing odd shaped programmes ie Middlesbrough , Newcastle, Charlton, and Manchester United spring to mind from the Premier League days, I find thats even a squeeze of course FA Cup finals won't go anywhere near a standard A4 pocket andA3 Size Is far too big so where is the best place to get hold of a few dozen good quality pockets that are about an inch bigger both at the top and along the side, surely someone must be making them
Be great if anyone can point me in the right direction
Cheers
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:50 pm 
Post subject:

The personalised binders are massively impressive.

I'm not at the cabinet stage yet, but my ticket collection is now housed in 15 nice leather-bound albums, where I can view the front & rear of each ticket as I peruse them.

The badge collection - I have mounted each badge on a piece of card and placed in clear plastic envelopes - individual coin envelopes for single badges & medal pouches for badge sets - and these have been slotted into cosmic viewing sleeves - individual coin sleeves & six-pocket medal-pouch sleeves respectively.

I'm now at the binder-searching stage for those, but just can't find binders I'm completely happy with.
They have to be 4-ring binders to accommodate the cosmic sleeves I've stored the badges in, but I want something that looks impressive like my ticket albums, albeit within a budget.

When I've finally found and purchased the binders I'm satisfied with, that's when I hope to go cabinet shopping, so my ticket and badge collections are impressively stored & protected in an impressive home.
I'd like one with an upper shelf for the ticket albums, and a larger lower space for the heavier badge albums.

Looking at pictures like the chaps have put on here is a great source of inspiration.
I'm now wondering if I'd like my cabinet to have additional shelves for some of my ornamental collectibles, they do compliment the binders very nicely indeed.

Some real food for thought, and another reason why it's great when others share their ideas.

tackler7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:52 pm 
Post subject:

i'll echo the other comments, very impressive.

Especially like the binders and would love more details.
ntw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:10 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks very much to everyone for their kinds words. I'm genuinely taken aback by them; I've a lot of time for the people on this forum, and respect the opinions of all those posting above, so it means a lot to have my efforts appreciated (I might print a few out to use as justification to the missus Very Happy)

A few people have asked a few questions above, and I'll try and answer, but if I don't, or you've something more specific, please just drop me a PM.

As I mentioned above, the folderes are from a local bookbinder, Hollingworth and Moss, in Leeds. I initially looked at off the peg folders, but a) wanted something I could add lettering too; b) wanted to be able to vary the width; c) knew I was getting a stack (I ended up ordering 125). It soon became clear bespoke was the way forward, so I popped down to a couple of local bookbinders thinking they might be my best bet: I viewed it that I was only after some 'standard' folders, just that I'd want some variety (so not that standard!), but nothing too fancy. The first one was useless, as they couldn't really offer the variety; fortunately H&M were second up, and were basically like ' yeah, we can do it, just tell us what you want'. Initial pricing suggesting it wouldn't be much more than the off-the-peg options. I then played about with a few ideas, got them to mock up a couple of examples, and that was it really.

They are effectively 'normal' folders, being stiff card, covered in cloth. Rather than being ring-bound, they are fixed posts, so just metal poles, with ends that screw on if that makes sense. 4 posts in each folder keep the pockets from sagging with the programmes in them, meaning they can stand on end. As they are open at the top, and the pockets the programmes are in are also open (though not really for anything but the newest progs), I wanted to put them in cabinets to give them a bit more protection from dust, etc. This actually finished the job off nicely, as I do think they look pretty neat.

I posted details of suppliers & products in my original post, so won't repeat again, but like I said, if anyone wants more info, please shout. There was a query on pockets for larger programmes, and this is where I use the Donside Plastics ones. I searched long and hard for a solution to this very problem, and never found a perfect answer. I wanted glass clear, polypropylene (or better) oversized punched pockets, but couldn't get any. The Donside ones ticked all boxes, apart from being glass clear (they are 'orange peel effect', which struckme as a bizaare term, but just mean they are slightly opaque). In all other respects they are fantastic for large programmes, and I highly recommend. However, I just went on to post a link, and see they say they have retired! Sounds like they might have some stock remaining, so I'll probably look to get some more quickly (hoping that you lot dont nab them all)!!!!

Finally, apologies for the tardy response. Been busy with a few other things, including launching a new website (www.warringtonrugbyheritage.com) that's been taking up most of my (limited) spare time

Edit: the oversized folders are still available here: http://www.donsidepockets.co.u.....html#SID=2 (they are in 100s, for £13, but postage is £12!).
I have also seen the new guys do do a glass clear version, but these are in 500s, for £108, plus £12 postage!!! They are available here: http://www.donsidepockets.co.u.....html#SID=2
In theory you can buy smaller quantities, and there are links on these pages above, but I've struggled to get them to work/they are hideously expensive (£4.50 each?!?). If anyone knows a better option, feel free to share Smile

Last edited by ntw on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: