Football Programmes Centre

"Extinct" Programmes
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
"Extinct" Programmes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:05 pm 
Post subject: "Extinct" Programmes

Here’s a question that probably cannot be answered conclusively, but it’s interesting (to me) at least.

From the post-war period, are there any “extinct” programmes? To put it simply, has an example of every single post-war league and cup programme survived?

We know that there are rarities, so one may exist in the collection of a home team collector, but collectors of the away team haven’t got it and can’t find one. However, is there any cases where neither home collectors or collectors of the away team have an example? I’m guessing it’s more likely to be the case in Scotland rather than England, but I thought I’d throw it out there.

The follow on from that is pre-war, eg. there’s evidence to suggest that some form of programme/half time card was issued on behalf of Hearts prior to the official programme starting in 1924, but it appears not a single example has survived.
garyspain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:12 pm 
Post subject:

I don't know re England but certainly I'd imagine there are plenty in Ireland.

Collecting really only got organised circa 1954 so nobody would have rescued some postponed issues or indeed issues that may never have been sold due to inclement weather.

I'd be very interested to know if there is an extant copy of Irish Free State v Belgium 1929. It is the only Republic of ireland home that doesn't have a known issue but surely one was done.
thedabs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:51 pm 
Post subject: Exeter city ????

I once had a chat with a chap called Norman shiel. He had what was considered a strong contender for the best ecfc collection going. He vwas actually Exeter mayor for a time.

He said that there were some real dark areas of for programmes for items known to have been produced but no copies surfacing.
stfcprogman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:24 pm 
Post subject: Northampton v Swindon 47-8

I'm beginning to wonder about this one. Game was played on a Thursday in March 1948 in front of a crowd of 6241. I have it on good authority that it was more than likely a single sheet issue. It is fairly safe to assume that any unsold were probably destroyed, and of those sold probably not many still exist. I am not aware of anyone who has one, and I have never seen it listed anywhere. Anyway it remains the only post war Swindon programme that I still require
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:40 pm 
Post subject:

garyspain wrote:

Collecting really only got organised circa 1954 so nobody would have rescued some postponed issues or indeed issues that may never have been sold due to inclement weather.

I'd be very interested to know if there is an extant copy of Irish Free State v Belgium 1929. It is the only Republic of ireland home that doesn't have a known issue but surely one was done.

Hearts issued programmes every home game between 1924-1939, we know this as they were mostly all numbered. Some friendlies might not have see a programme but its almost certain all league and Scottish Cup matches saw a programme. I'd be amazed if 50% of these issues actually still exist. Post war, all home games where a programme is known to have been issued, exist.
Shotsman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:53 pm 
Post subject: Extinct Programmes

The obvious one for me is Newport IOW v Aldershot FA Cup from 1945. I have seen copies of the Newport v Clapton Orient from the previous round, which was a folded A4 sheet with the team line ups and adverts. The owner of that programme, I think it was Bob Barber(?) told me that the Aldershot programme was one of only 3 from the 1945/46 cup campaign he had never seen.

Two other from 1946/47 that I have never seen are the home games versus Watford and Torquay
Posh1959

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:01 pm 
Post subject:

The one programme which comes to mind which I have been after for years is Durham City V Spalding fa cup 1st round 57/8!season. I have seen several Durham programmes from that season and I have their issue for the second round v Tranmere. Anybody got Durham v Spalding 57/8 to sell me?
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:06 am 
Post subject: Re: Extinct Programmes

Shotsman wrote:
The obvious one for me is Newport IOW v Aldershot FA Cup from 1945. I have seen copies of the Newport v Clapton Orient from the previous round, which was a folded A4 sheet with the team line ups and adverts. The owner of that programme, I think it was Bob Barber(?) told me that the Aldershot programme was one of only 3 from the 1945/46 cup campaign he had never seen.

Shotsman, did you ever try contacting Peter Ranger at NFC for info re. the Newport programme? He's on ebay as seller Peter01983 - he's usually got a few bits up for sale so you can contact him with the 'ask seller a question' option.
Shotsman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:56 am 
Post subject: Extinct Programmes

NO I didn't, I really should do, so I will, many thanks
garyspain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:37 am 
Post subject:

One of my favourite collecting interests is Irish sides in the Festival of Britain 1951. i know we have different threads on the FoB but in almost 40 years of collecting and asking I'm still not aware of extant programmes for the following games

Southport v Drumcondra.
Accrington Stanley v Cork Athletic, Oldham v Bohemians,
Accrington Stanley v Bohemians, Rochdale v Bohemians.
Rochdale v Shamrock Rvs, Carlisle v Waterford , St. Mirren v Distillery,
Dundee v Distillery,Stirling v Distillery.

I also require Oldham v Cork Athletic but I know this was sold on offer in Programme Monthly years ago. I was an underbidder and although never saw the programme have no doubt it existed.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: