Football Programmes Centre

Alex Young RIP.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Alex Young RIP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nozer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:31 pm 
Post subject: Alex Young RIP.

Sadly passed today ,fought if familiar to many on site ,but I would put I'm amongst best three footballers seen.

Last edited by nozer on Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:43 pm 
Post subject:

A legend at Tynecastle and a favourite of my dad.

8 Scotland caps and 5 goals. Criminally ignored by the SFA, like many great Hearts players of that era.

RIP Alex
highlandjambo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:07 pm 
Post subject: Alex Young RIP

The Golden Vision, Hearts and Everton legend, RIP Alex.
overlap

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:54 pm 
Post subject: Alex Young - the Golden Vision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcAmE5GxGd0

Ken Loach drama with an Everton/Alex Young theme, even though it must have been near the end of his time at Goodison
Jambojim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:26 pm 
Post subject:

A true great. RIP
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:06 pm 
Post subject: Alex Young RlP

They showed a clip of him in action on North West news.He appeared to glide across the turf beating man after man . Very graceful. Fantastic player. Similar to the great George Best.
nozer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:30 pm 
Post subject:

Only five posts for one of the best c.f. of all time ,how disappointing.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:39 am 
Post subject:

I'll make it 6 by saying I don't have any photos of him and I never saw him play. By the time I first saw Everton live they had another blond forward - Alan Whittle.

But reading all the testimonials, I'm sure he was a great player.

RIP Alec.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Five and In

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:42 am 
Post subject: Alex Young RIP.

He possibly played for Everton at Spurs in 1968 which was the first game I went to live, but I don't remember.
TV footage shows he was a great player and I'm sure the Toffees will honour one of their greats accordingly.
RIP Alex
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:13 am 
Post subject:

Being 48 years young Nozer, he was before my time sadly mate.
So I have no memory of him, but had obviously heard of him - I knew he was a Toffees ledge.

The lack of decent archive footage pre-1970 means us 'young uns' know very little about these old greats unfortunately, unless they played for our club and we read about them over the years in detail.

RIP Alex.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:35 am 

The footage is not great, but take a look at You tube Everton v Man Unt August 1967. United were a great team and would go on to take the European Cup that season. Everton tore into them from the kick -off. To accomodate 18-year -old Joe Royle at centre - forward, Everton played Alex Young in a deeper role. Young, along with Alan Ball, was sensational. Goal number 3 by Young, would have been a contender for goal of the season. I don't think they had such a thing in those days! Now here is the interesting point, l remember Terry Venables saying that Alex Young might have been the 'Golden Vision' ,but he could dish out a bone-crunching tackle if he felt the need.Early in the second-half Alex goes in over the top on George Best.George has got a look on his face as if to say ' what the hell was that for'? No action was taken by the ref, they just got on with the game. Alex was majestic, but he had a hard streak as well.l think you had to in those days!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:41 pm 
Post subject:

Thank you Flaming Pie for forcing me to waste an hour of this bright sunny morning staring at my screen while the Holy Trinity, the Golden Vision and the rest mesmerised me. Wonderful stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:40 pm 

Your welcome Pete. Apparently the Everton manager during the 1960's , Harry Catterick, was not keen on allowing television cameras into Goodison. Because of this, there is not that much footage of his two title winning teams, 1963 and 1970. By contrast, l think Bill Shankly across the park at Anfield welcomed them.He wanted the world to see ( and fear) what a fine team he was building. Although i'm a Blue, I did go and watch the two Liverpool teams and Tranmere quite a bit during this period .Lots of kids did, if they had the money! The partizan ' i'm not watching that lot ' garbage hadn't kicked in yet. Just loved watching football live.
Davee59

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:19 pm 
Post subject: Re: Alex Young RlP

Flaming Pie wrote:
Your welcome Pete. Apparently the Everton manager during the 1960's , Harry Catterick, was not keen on allowing television cameras into Goodison. Because of this, there is not that much footage of his two title winning teams, 1963 and 1970. By contrast, l think Bill Shankly across the park at Anfield welcomed them.He wanted the world to see ( and fear) what a fine team he was building. Although i'm a Blue, I did go and watch the two Liverpool teams and Tranmere quite a bit during this period .Lots of kids did, if they had the money! The partizan ' i'm not watching that lot ' garbage hadn't kicked in yet. Just loved watching football live.

It was a different ball game in the old days FP. Certainly in London many fans would watch at least two different teams, one of the reasons being the cost of going to away games was so prohibitive. There was also a lack of decent alternatives to a game of football. I was told that my Grandad went to Charlton and Millwall on alternative Saturdays and I have heard of fans going to Spurs and arsenal, not sure I would do that although when younger I went to a number of different grounds to see a game.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:06 pm 

lnteresting points Davee.l would have loved to have lived in London during the 1960's, but it wouldn't have been just for the football. More to see the likes of The Who, Jimi Hendrix, the Stones , Floyd and others playing in small , club type venues. That would have been something. The Beatles had departed the scene by the time l was old enough to go to the Merseyside clubs. Ah well, can't have everything.. Sorry, better stop, this is a football forum.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: