Football Programmes Centre

FA CUP shock(s)
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
FA CUP shock(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:36 pm 
Post subject: FA CUP shock(s)

And so with Lincoln City pulling off the unexpected today and winning at Burnley and with their brilliant home record too, the commentators were saying about it being the first time since 1914 that a non-league side had reached the FA Cup quarter finals.

Every schoolboy knows that Tottenham won the cup in 1901 and were the only "non-League" side to do so, but what about this 1914 event?

I had to look it up.

In 1913-14, Queens Park Rangers were one of 14 non-league sides to be given byes to the 1st round proper. They beat Bristol City after a replay in R1, then at Swansea in R2, and then away at Birmingham in R3 at which point they reached the quarter finals, losing 2-1 at Liverpool.

So it was no doubt a great achievement by QPR but being given a bye and then winning 3 times doesn't really compare with Lincoln's splendid achievement of winning 6 times to get to the same point.

Let me be the first to congratulate the Imps - and let's hope for a brilliant draw next time round.

Bow

And............ come on the mighty Sutton United!! You can do it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:49 pm 
Post subject:

Congratulations to Lincoln & Millwall......great result.

The magic of the FA CUP is alive & well (in the lower leagues)

Just a shame the premier (we play in the best league in the world) and

the championship constantly play weakened teams.

Thats what money does (thankyou Sky), but there no way back..

If the premiership get their way there would be no replays etc etc.

Wave Wave Wave

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
bigearl79

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:07 pm 
Post subject:

The answer to the next obvious is....Swindon Town in 1912.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:25 pm 
Post subject: Re: FA CUP shock(s)

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
And so with Lincoln City pulling off the unexpected today and winning at Burnley and with their brilliant home record too, the commentators were saying about it being the first time since 1914 that a non-league side had reached the FA Cup quarter finals.

Every schoolboy knows that Tottenham won the cup in 1901 and were the only "non-League" side to do so, but what about this 1914 event?

I had to look it up.

In 1913-14, Queens Park Rangers were one of 14 non-league sides to be given byes to the 1st round proper. They beat Bristol City after a replay in R1, then at Swansea in R2, and then away at Birmingham in R3 at which point they reached the quarter finals, losing 2-1 at Liverpool.

So it was no doubt a great achievement by QPR but being given a bye and then winning 3 times doesn't really compare with Lincoln's splendid achievement of winning 6 times to get to the same point.

Let me be the first to congratulate the Imps - and let's hope for a brilliant draw next time round.

Bow

And............ come on the mighty Sutton United!! You can do it!

Let's face it the flak Arsenal would get and their manager if they even drew would be immense.

Surely all he has to say to his team today is this 1 minute before they leave the dressing room:

Yes you were battered 5-1 a few days ago but even if you were not one tenth as bad that night they still would have beaten us, because they have everything we do not and it starts with a team ethic and a spirit, BUT TODAY there is NO NO NO NO EXCUSES-this will be the gravest day in the club's history, the shame and the ignominy of a defeat will taint YOU all[and me] FOREVER.

Now get the the Fxxk out of my site and do what you are paid obscene amounts of money to do and do not expect anyone to congratulate you if you win!

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Fishy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:29 pm 
Post subject:

pompeypete wrote:
Congratulations to Lincoln & Millwall......great result.

The magic of the FA CUP is alive & well (in the lower leagues)

Just a shame the premier (we play in the best league in the world) and

the championship constantly play weakened teams.

Thats what money does (thankyou Sky), but there no way back..

If the premiership get their way there would be no replays etc etc.

Wave Wave Wave

Thank you Pete - a great result for both clubs (especially Millwall - no bias of course). A full house, a win and an away tie v Spurs!

I think that Spurs will be a different kettle of fish though. Pochetino (excuse the spelling) looks like he is happy to field a very strong side to get results. I'm just hoping that Harry Kane remembers the support he got at The Den whilst on loan, and he leaves his shooting boots at home! Very Happy
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:37 am 
Post subject:

Well played Sutton Clap

Saw something that made me titter.

Chelsea v Man Utd - live on Match of the Day.

Tottenham v Millwall - live on Crimewatch.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:23 pm 
Post subject:

Sutton were superb Pete, especially our former player Jamie Collins who was outstanding at the back.

We could probably do with Jamie now if I'm being honest.

That rotund chap quaffing the pastie in the dug-out was unnecessary though, it did nothing to dispel the myth that non league footy is a bunch of overweight has-beens chugging around the pitch, sweating off their hangovers.

I see the FA are looking into him too now, as they suspect is was part of a betting scam.

I hope for Sutton's sake it wasn't, they've been simply magnificent and even last night against one of Europe's elite, never tired nor lost their enthusiasm.

They don't deserve to be overshadowed by some foolish glutton.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:39 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
Sutton were superb Pete, especially our former player Jamie Collins who was outstanding at the back.

We could probably do with Jamie now if I'm being honest.

That rotund chap quaffing the pastie in the dug-out was unnecessary though, it did nothing to dispel the myth that non league footy is a bunch of overweight has-beens chugging around the pitch, sweating off their hangovers.

I see the FA are looking into him too now, as they suspect is was part of a betting scam.

I hope for Sutton's sake it wasn't, they've been simply magnificent and even last night against one of Europe's elite, never tired nor lost their enthusiasm.

They don't deserve to be overshadowed by some foolish glutton.

SACKED!!!!!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:59 pm 
Post subject:

He deserves it if I'm being honest, the fool.

We paid £20k for a Welsh League player about ten years ago, Lee John (not the Imagination singer!) from Port Talbot, which wasn't an inconsequential sum at the time.
Wouldn't be now for us!

A few weeks later during a pre season game at Clevedon, he was hauled off at the interval after a poor first-half showing, and as the second-half began, was stood leaning on the dug-out still in full kit, troughing double sausage & chips out of a polystyrene tray.

Our manager at the time, Peter Beadle, who wasn't a slim chap himself, gave him one of those looks that could kill.

A few weeks later he was gone, back to Port Tablet from whence he came.

Time and a place and all that, and even the non league game expects highly professional standards now.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:11 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, a fat 45 year old part-time groundsman and handyman who had no chance of being called on to play - does something stupid for a laugh - gets sacked and there's an FA investigation etc etc.

Joey Barton places thousands of bets on football matches, gets a slapped wrist. Then he manages to secure a highly paid job in the Premier League. Then he stamps on a non-league player's foot two or three times, and then goes down poleaxed when he brushes his head on the player's outstretched arm, and nobody at the FA gives a monkey's.

Chav
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:45 pm 
Post subject:

Well said Pete
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:47 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Yes, a fat 45 year old part-time groundsman and handyman who had no chance of being called on to play - does something stupid for a laugh - gets sacked and there's an FA investigation etc etc.

Joey Barton places thousands of bets on football matches, gets a slapped wrist. Then he manages to secure a highly paid job in the Premier League. Then he stamps on a non-league player's foot two or three times, and then goes down poleaxed when he brushes his head on the player's outstretched arm, and nobody at the FA gives a monkey's.

Chav

Can't argue with that mate.

A mate of mine mentioned Joey Barton earlier too, certainly puts it into perspective.

ntw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:51 pm 
Post subject:

If a bookie is offering odds on someone eating a pie, they deserve all they get. Seriously?

Am I missing something: what's the appeal on betting on such random things as how many yellow cards, or number of corners?

These kind of things are almost an incentive for betting scams. I'm not sure you can legislate against them, or even that you should, but I just don't see why they're necessary (and before someone points out that there must obviously be a market for them, and the bookies are making money off it, I get that; I just don't get how is there a market for this kind of stuff?? If you're that keen on gambling, surely you can find something else to put your money on).
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:59 pm 
Post subject:

Someone should investigate our team, we boot the ball straight out of play every time we kick off!!!

Or it might just be because we're complete shite.

Didn't Matt Le Tiss admit to doing this, because the bookies offer odds on the time of the first thrown in?
Rings a vague bell.

ntw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:12 am 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
Someone should investigate our team, we boot the ball straight out of play every time we kick off!!!

Or it might just be because we're complete shite.

Didn't Matt Le Tiss admit to doing this, because the bookies offer odds on the time of the first thrown in?
Rings a vague bell.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/spo.....mpton.html

"Obviously I’d never have done anything that might have affected the outcome of the match, but I couldn’t see a problem with making a few quid on the time of the first throw-in." Which is exactly the point I was making above!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: