Football Programmes Centre

Roger Hynd RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Roger Hynd RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:28 pm 
Post subject: Roger Hynd RIP

Nephew of Bill Shankly, died aged 74. A centre back with a penchant for playing up front.

Was at Rangers for many years before signing for Palace in Summer 1969, ready to step into Division One in Palace's first season there. Tough as old boots and with the heart of a lion. Also nicknamed "Animal" on the terraces for obvious reasons.

Played 38 games for Palace before joining Birmingham and staying there for 6 years (170 games) whereupon he joined Walsall (89 games). Had a brief spell as manager at Motherwell before returning to his first job as a PE teacher.

At Palace 1969/70

Playing for Birmingham at Palace, March 1973, a goalless draw.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:43 pm 
Post subject:

Lovely photographs as usual Pete.

I watched him many times during his time with Walsall, a good solid defender and always happy to give his autograph.

Not original photo's like yours Pete but these are three from my Twitter timeline from his time at Birmingham City...

You couldn't do that playing for Blues at the back these days!

RIP Roger
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:48 pm 
Post subject: Roger Hynd RlP

Nice words Pete. It's interesting that Roger was a nephew of the legendary Shankly.ln your other photo of Palace, l can see Alan Whittle( blonde hair) . Evertonians thought they had another Denis Law on their hands when he started banging in goals for them on their way to the 1969- 70 title..Whittle's nephew is the new rising star at Everton, Tom Davies. Talent really does run in some families!
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:26 pm 
Post subject: Re: Roger Hynd RlP

Flaming Pie wrote:
Nice words Pete. It's interesting that Roger was a nephew of the legendary Shankly.ln your other photo of Palace, l can see Alan Whittle( blonde hair) . Evertonians thought they had another Denis Law on their hands when he started banging in goals for them on their way to the 1969- 70 title..Whittle's nephew is the new rising star at Everton, Tom Davies. Talent really does run in some families!

Talent would indeed appear to run in families - Harry Flowers has just signed for Burnley. He is the grandson of Wolves and England stalwart Ron Flowers.

Like Ruud I to remember Roger Hynd playing for Walsall - never took many prisoners at Fellows Park.
Davee59

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:33 pm 
Post subject: Re: Roger Hynd RIP

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Nephew of Bill Shankly, died aged 74. A centre back with a penchant for playing up front.

Was at Rangers for many years before signing for Palace in Summer 1969, ready to step into Division One in Palace's first season there. Tough as old boots and with the heart of a lion. Also nicknamed "Animal" on the terraces for obvious reasons.

Played 38 games for Palace before joining Birmingham and staying there for 6 years (170 games) whereupon he joined Walsall (89 games). Had a brief spell as manager at Motherwell before returning to his first job as a PE teacher.

At Palace 1969/70

Great pictures Pete, Roger was tough as old boots and I must have seen most of his games for Palace in that season of discovery. RIP big fella.

Playing for Birmingham at Palace, March 1973, a goalless draw.

littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:52 pm 

Flaming Pie wrote:

Indeed it does.
Wasn't Bobby Charlton's mother related to Wor Jackie Milburn?
Sister or a cousin or something??
And all the other Milburns, George, Stan etc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:57 pm 

littlewiggy wrote:
Flaming Pie wrote:

Indeed it does.
Wasn't Bobby Charlton's mother related to Wor Jackie Milburn?
Sister or a cousin or something??
And all the other Milburns, George, Stan etc.

Aye Thumbs Up

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:39 am 
Post subject:

Just one further example.....

Meet the Townsends

Dad Don

Son Andy

As far as I'm aware Andros is unrelated
overlap

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:58 am 
Post subject: Roger Hynd at Rangers

Nice portrait of a young Roger Hynd at Rangers

marooned11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:22 pm 
Post subject: Roger Hynd

Hi,
Last summer my wife and I spent two weeks in Turkey. Whilst lying by the pool I got into conversation with this lad who turned out to be a lifelong Leeds United supporter. We chatted about the great Leeds team of Bremner,Lorimer, Giles and the incomparable Eddie Gray. During this long conversation that bored our wives as much as this story may well be boring you, he told me that, in later years, he had got to know Roger Hynd.
My new friend then told me about an incident that Roger had described to him about his time at Birmingham City.According to Roger, Birmingham were playing Leeds in an FA Cup tie. It was a corner to Leeds and as the players were waiting for the corner there was the usual pushing and shoving. All Roger could remember was that a punch landed on his jaw and he was pole-axed (or should that be Scot-axed ?) He had no idea as to who was the culprit. My friend from Leeds gleefully told Roger that he was standing behind the Birmingham goal on that fateful day and had witnessed the whole incident. The thrower of the punch, surprise surprise, was Johnny Giles.
As we all know Rogerwent on to a very successful career in teaching and, no doubt, spent a great deal of his time advising his students of the need to do their homework. If Roger had done his homework on that particular day when Leeds played Birmingham he would have learned one very important lesson - that when an incident takes place and Johnny Giles in in the vicinity, foul play is not suspected.....it is definitely known !!
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:14 pm 
Post subject: Roger Hynd RlP

Judging by his size and reputation, it's a good job that Roger didn't know at the time that it was Giles who had decked him. I was at the Wembley Charity Shield match 1974 Liverpool v Leeds .Kevin keegan ended up flat out on the floor after .Johnny Giles had flattened him.lt was a punch not a tackle. Keegan picked himself up and attacked Billy Bremner. They were both sent-off. I don't think that Giles even had his name taken!
Baltimore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:23 pm 
Post subject:

Didn't Imre Varadi have a famous relative?

A comedian called Oliver Hardy !

Apologies......
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: