Football Programmes Centre

Sporting Memorys Live Auction Wednesday 22nd Feb 2017
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sporting Memorys Live Auction Wednesday 22nd Feb 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
overlap

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:27 pm 
Post subject: Re: Glasgow Celtic

SportingMemorys wrote:
We are confident that this will clear up any questions.

regards
sporting memorys

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/sporting-memorys/catalogue-id-srspo10008/lot-8eb68214-a90b-4ef7-99fe-a7070114eccd

I note that the bottom of the back page states that the Celtic programme was *published* by the Scottish Advertising Company (SAC) of Edinburgh, not the club itself.
It may be this issue of who the *publisher* was that is causing some confusion.
The SAC published programmes prewar featuring many different home clubs; Hearts, Hibs, Ayr, St Bernard's, to name a few.
All shared the same outer cover format, and front cover advertiser.

Celtic themselves did not *publish* programmes in their own right until after World War Two.
However, the inescapable fact is that these prewar items do state "Official Programme" on them, and doubtlessly were officially outsourced to SAC for publishing as Tynie suggests.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:09 pm 
Post subject:

To quote an extract from the Hearts Programme Guide;

"Moves were afoot in 1923 to produce something different [up to that point, half time score cards/programmes were produced but none seem to have survived], and Hearts were approached by the Edina Advert Platform & Press Agency who wanted to buy the rights to produce programmes. People were now looking for something more substantial along the lines of English programmes, and various discussions took place. Hearts wanted to remain loyal to the Exchange Telegraph Company, but the lure of the £200 a year "cash up front" offer from Edina proved too strong. Thus the "Heart of Midlothian Football Club Ltd Official Programme" came into being."

Looking at my only pre-war Hearts programme, by season 1936-37 it was being printed and published by Henry Munro Ltd of Glasgow/Perth/Aberdeen/London
Eck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:25 am 
Post subject:

A mate of mine, a Celtic collector is travelling down to the auction, he won't be bidding on these but is after other Celtic stuff in the auction. I think he is anticipating the huge interest in these and will just concentrate on his post war collection, I am signed up to bid myself and would love one of these to own for my small collection of interesting items.

Once again, fantastic views and knowledge on here is astounding.
RoddyN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:27 am 
Post subject:

I thought I saw some Celtic pre war homes in the last year at another auction. I think there were about 4 of which only 1 sold. From memory the reserve was also about £400. I think the ones against Rangers, Hearts and Hibs will sell but the others might struggle due to the price. I guess we will see in 12 days.
Eck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:49 pm 
Post subject:

RoddyN wrote:
I thought I saw some Celtic pre war homes in the last year at another auction. I think there were about 4 of which only 1 sold. From memory the reserve was also about £400. I think the ones against Rangers, Hearts and Hibs will sell but the others might struggle due to the price. I guess we will see in 12 days.

I think you are right bud, a reserve of £400 is unlikely to deter Rangers bidders, i'm not sure there are enough major Celtic collectors to sell the rest. Celtic stuff is notoriously hard to sell, Steven Jacobs gave up his pitch at Celtic Park.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:23 pm 
Post subject:

Eck wrote:
RoddyN wrote:

I think you are right bud, a reserve of £400 is unlikely to deter Rangers bidders, i'm not sure there are enough major Celtic collectors to sell the rest. Celtic stuff is notoriously hard to sell, Steven Jacobs gave up his pitch at Celtic Park.

That wouldn't be anything to do with his prices though.......
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:18 pm 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:
Eck wrote:
RoddyN wrote:

Sherlock Sherlock Sherlock

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Eck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:01 am 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
Auchinleckian wrote:
Eck wrote:
RoddyN wrote:

Sherlock Sherlock Sherlock

He's still at Ibrox. Judge
Eck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:24 pm 
Post subject: Re: celtic

auctioneer wrote:
good afternoon
its Robert from sporting memorys

I am very surprised by the above note

who I this friend?

there is no doubt whatsoever that these are official celtic football programmes

my office will shortly be posting copies of the programmes

I think that this mysterious friend, might have an ulterior motive in talking down the value of the programmes

Do you think that would work? You asked for opinions, if you only want positives just say so.
The source is a bluenose and he won't be bidding on them, what is the point in naming him if you don't know him?
I'm offended by you calling me dishonest when you don't know me.

Last edited by Eck on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Eck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:30 pm 
Post subject:

A thread on the Rangers collectors club.

Are these official programmes 1930's v Celtic does anyone have any more information as not seeing them as official on any collectors guides?

Comments

Willie Gers The well known celtic collector Tam McGouran did a guide a few years ago and also a page on the web somewhere about the history of celtic programmes. He say`s that celtic`s first ever home programme issued was for a game v clyde i think was season 46/47. He never counted the 45/46 against Rangers as an official programme. Tam had virtually every celtic programme there was
Like · Reply · 1 · Yesterday at 10:13 · Edited

Willie Gers some of the guys on the football programme centre forum reckon maybe celtic sanctioned them even though they never actually issued them, remember the moscow Dynamo 1945 programme wasn`t issued by Rangers
Like · Reply · 1 · Yesterday at 10:21

Willie Gers every one of them will sell for big money
Like · Reply · Yesterday at 10:23

Emma Ferguson The will go for hundreds,all of them i reckon
Like · Reply · Yesterday at 10:37

Tom Maxwell Must be genuine, "mines a minor" all over them. 😂😂
Like · Reply · Yesterday at 10:37

Emma Ferguson Lol tom
Like · Reply · Yesterday at 10:39

Tam Cuthill These progs were produced on behalf of the club/clubs who wanted them. Each season had a different cover but was the same for any club that issued. The early 30s issues were printed by the Scottish advertising co based in Edinburgh and later 30s printed by Henry munro Ltd who had offices in Glasgow,Perth,Aberdeen and London
Like · Reply · 1 · Yesterday at 15:23

Tam Cuthill On the questìon of ' are they official ' They would have to be sanctioned by the club involved because not all clubs used this method of producing progs . I.E queen.of.the.south produced pre war progs that were similar to their 40s and 50s productions. So basically it,s down to your own opinion as to wheather you class them as official or not.Mind you fantastic items to get
Like · Reply · Yesterday at 15:38

Emma Ferguson Think there up on the 22nd or something like that
Like · Reply · Yesterday at 15:42

Tam Cuthill Incidently the celtic 45/46 prog was printed by the Scottish sports agency who also produced the Rangers v Moscow dynamo prog of the same season. I think of the top of my head they had offices in Argyle street and Hope street. Hope this info helps
Like · Reply · 1 · Yesterday at 15:53

Alistair McGregor So the adverting for example on the front cover and through out the programmes look like large buisnesses at the time - did those sales of that advertising space go to Celtic ? If so then don't see how can be classed as unofficial I also believe that Celtic recently did a reproduction of one in there official memorabilia packs a Celtic collector told me was versus Queen's Park in 1931
Like · Reply · 10 hrs

Tam Cuthill I can only imagine that there would be a benificial tie up for both the club and the advertisers
Like · Reply · 10 hrs

Alex Boyd It says official programme, the same people produced Hearts pre war programmes, also reckoned to be official programmes.
Like · Reply · 9 hrs

Alex Boyd There was 4 Celtic pre war up for auction before with a reserve of £400, only one sold, there are 40 of these for sale this time, if there is a reserve of £400, I can't see many more than the Rangers ones getting sold.
Like · Reply · 9 hrs

John Flynn These are not regarded as official, as they were not issued by the club.....the first official programme is against Clyde 46.
Like · Reply · 1 · 4 hrs

Alistair McGregor I agree with Alex too many for up for sale at once makes no sense at all for the seller, but can't see how the first official programme is v Clyde 46 has any one other than the guy that did the Celtic collectors guide at the club officially confirmed ...See more
Like · Reply · 3 hrs · Edited

Alex Boyd Here is a thread on it.
Like · Reply · 30 mins

Alex Boyd http://www.footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/.../viewtopic...

Sporting Memorys Live Auction Wednesday 22nd Feb 2017 :: The Football Programme Forum
footballprogrammecentre.co.uk

Like · Reply · Remove Preview · 30 mins
Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:36 am 
Post subject:

Not got a vested interest as not a Celtic collector, but just a shame that the person it is being sold on behalf didn't 'break up' the lots into a few auctions, several months apart. Just thinking that having it all in one go is probably too much for some collectors, and that spreading it over, say 6 months might mean people bid for more each time. No idea if this actually would make a difference of course
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:48 am 
Post subject:

There are a few Celtic collectors for whom the numbers available won't be anything to worry about financially should they want them, and there's the rub. Like most folk I think there's probably too many in the one sale to maximise their value, but if the vendor says sell.....
SportingMemorys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:50 am 
Post subject:

The Glasgow Evening Times have done an article today on the Glasgow Celtic programmes.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/.....he_hammer/

If anyone have any questions about any other lots in the sale please feel free to email us and we will be happy to help.

Regards
Sporting memorys
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:11 pm 
Post subject:

SportingMemorys wrote:
The Glasgow Evening Times have done an article today on the Glasgow Celtic programmes.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/.....he_hammer/

If anyone have any questions about any other lots in the sale please feel free to email us and we will be happy to help.

Regards
Sporting memorys

Nice surprise for the older couple if they thought they were worth a max of £20 each!
RoddyN

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:45 pm 
Post subject:

The auctioneer in the article in the Glasgow Evening News quotes “Celtic is a big club and there is a real market for Celtic memorabilia.” I agree Celtic have a lot of fans and are a big club but they are disappointingly weak on the collecting front. I think it will be a struggle to sell that amount of programmes unless they are to away collectors. Let's wait till next week.
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:47 pm 
Post subject:

I am fascinated to see how these Celtic programmes go - can someone post up the figures please once they are known!
Eck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:32 am 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
I am fascinated to see how these Celtic programmes go - can someone post up the figures please once they are known!

I'm hoping to buy one of these, i'll let you know how they do.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:46 pm 
Post subject:

Not long now, although I wont be able to watch it "live" hopefully someone updates with regards to the prices for the Celtic items.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:51 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
Not got a vested interest as not a Celtic collector, but just a shame that the person it is being sold on behalf didn't 'break up' the lots into a few auctions, several months apart. Just thinking that having it all in one go is probably too much for some collectors, and that spreading it over, say 6 months might mean people bid for more each time. No idea if this actually would make a difference of course

100% correct but maybe this is exactly what has been done and this lot is only the start?. Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Eck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:19 pm 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
Dorking wrote:

100% correct but maybe this is exactly what has been done and this lot is only the start?. Wave

Not according to the Evening Times article mate.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: