Football Programmes Centre

Don't get caught on this.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Don't get caught on this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wullie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:19 pm 
Post subject: Don't get caught on this.

I noticed sometimes on eBay ,one bidder will have a bid , lets say £50. Then two bids appear and yet it's the same potential buyer and the bid is still £50 but he's placed another top up bid . So what the bidder is saying is, i'm upping my offer in case someone else bids. Basically ,he has sent the seller a signal that the item can go higher than £50 . A silly move. Better to bid once at a price you're happy with .
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:24 pm 
Post subject:

Yes I've seen this happen many times Wullie, two or three bids with the item still at the starting price, in a bizarre attempt to ward off other bidders.

It's like they're asking to be shilled-up and fleeced.

Smile

There's nowt so strange as folk, as my old Nan used to say.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Fishy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:45 pm 
Post subject:

Sometimes I think hat the initial bid is to stop the item being sold outside of Ebay - I have done this myself and then I come back to the item at the end.

Why the second bid comes so quickly I haven't a clue about. Although someone who I bid against sometimes is not always available near the end of the auction, and so bids up before time.
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:55 pm 
Post subject:

Fishy wrote:
Sometimes I think hat the initial bid is to stop the item being sold outside of Ebay - I have done this myself and then I come back to the item at the end.

Why the second bid comes so quickly I haven't a clue about. Although someone who I bid against sometimes is not always available near the end of the auction, and so bids up before time.

I can only speak for myself but I tend to do this if I know I can't follow the auction until it finishes......although it's always "what I'm willing to pay"......lost a few but also won a few!

Last edited by PompeyPhil on Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:06 pm 
Post subject:

Fishy wrote:

Fishy, when I saw your name on this thread I thought it was some kind of hook! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:14 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
Yes I've seen this happen many times Wullie, two or three bids with the item still at the starting price, in a bizarre attempt to ward off other bidders.

It's like they're asking to be shilled-up and fleeced.

Smile

There's nowt so strange as folk, as my old Nan used to say.

Auction Sniper recently introduced another way of getting u to bid more by saying you can now make further bids above your snipe bid by 2 increments as a minimum and it can go on and on, this is no different in someways to what the discussion is about in that the bidders are not using a snipe just either adding a late bid or saying i am not going to hang around all night i am bidding x and have decided i will go to x + y. I do not see too much wrong with that as the bidder is prepared in advance to pay out a bit more but if in doing this he is putting someone off then his MO has worked and put the willies up a prospective competitor who may well back out or see the red mist and want to grind him into the dust-either way the seller is in a win-win situation.

I have another comment to make about bidders but this is more of a pet hate which i would say comes under the header of being completely dim witted-revealed in the appropriate post later! Laughing Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Fishy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:16 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Fishy wrote:

Fishy, when I saw your name on this thread I thought it was some kind of hook! Smile

Laughing Laughing Laughing
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:26 pm 
Post subject:

I must confess, I'm of the "keep your powder dry until the very end" type of bidder.

I prefer to steam in with ten seconds left, at the most I'm prepared to pay.
Then if I win it all good & well, if not, I won't dwell on it.

It's not only about pinching the item, but a necessity to keep the price down and stop myself getting caught up in a big-dick-contest bidding war.
Because let's face it, we're all capable of getting carried away, it's in our DNA as footy fans!!

Like Fishy, I too have often placed a minimum bid to hopefully dissuade the seller from ending an item early, before popping back at the death with my "real" bid.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Wullie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:54 pm 
Post subject:

Yes i agree it could work both ways. In that a bidder is stating his intentions to scare off other bidders. But an unscrupulous seller ( do they exist ?) could always get a "friend" to knock up the price at no chance of ending up with egg on their face by buying their own item . ( Which if happened they could always offer the item to the second bidder anyway )
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:19 am 
Post subject:

Like others, I’ve done this ie put in a bid and then topped up the bid close to the end.

It’s mostly down to the fact that I quite fancy the item but there is other stuff ending before that one and I can’t afford it all, so I’m waiting to see the outcome of those before going in with my “real” bid later. Sometimes I decide not to increase my first bid due to other successes and I either get it for a really good price with my initial bid, or I get outbid and it goes for what I was expecting it to and I lose out. C’est la vie.

There’s is also the odd occasion when I go in with a bid, but then decide that I need to go a little more to get it so I go in again and top it up, particularly if I’m not going to be around when the auction finished. I don’t use snipers.
Wullie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:19 pm 
Post subject:

I think we all have our own tactics. Since I've been buying for years i have tried all the tricks . I'm sure eBay has kept many psychologists amused for years.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: