Football Programmes Centre

Ebay, buy it now.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ebay, buy it now.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:23 pm 
Post subject:

Well it says in his listing he's selling off his own collection Surprised

Which is pretty extensive.

I'm not a massive programme collector to be honest, give me a 60s bubble gum card, pre war yearbook or enamel pin badge anyday!

He is the proud owner of a 1906/7 Palace home 'Programmicard', one of very few in existence, goodness knows what that would be worth, but surely too good for ebay and worthy of a good auction house if he ever does decide to sell that. It's a corker.

To be honest I hope he doesn't sell it in many ways.
kenners46

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:27 pm 
Post subject:

I did ask him once where he got his stuff from and he blamed his mum for going round all the charity shops
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:46 pm 
Post subject:

I think there is a phrase which Pete and Leslie would agree with - the harder you work, the luckier you get. His treasures are very much deserved as it's been a lifetimes 'work' gathering it all up, and funnily enough the very best or most financially valuable stuff doesn't always need to be the stuff that you paid the most for, he will testify to that. Plus, it proves you don't need to spend a fortune collecting or have a massive budget, you can do it slowly over a long period of time, and if you are good at buying and selling stuff, the pennies turn into pounds in no time. A great example of a true collector.

Anyway, apologies for hijacking a good ebay thread.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:35 pm 
Post subject:

I can tell you guys a bit more about johnny5bellies and his alter ego allandsunderyagain.

The latter is his wife's account which he uses when he goes up to his limit on 5bellies.

His dad played for Palace reserves in the 50's and 5bellies started to collect reserve programmes his dad played in, and that increased to all reserve programmes. I guess the ones he's selling now are those his dad didn't play in.

He's one of the "harder you work, the luckier you get" types for sure. He got that 1906/7 Programmicard from a bloke in Surrey somewhere and paid a pittance for it. He advertises (or used to) in all the local freebies and someone phoned him up about it. And he goes to all the local auction rooms all the time. I know he gets up early and drives all over the place doing it. Good luck to him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Talks A Good Game

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:40 pm 
Post subject:

I've sent you an email Leslie.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:33 pm 
Post subject:

Talks A Good Game wrote:
I've sent you an email Leslie.

Today? nothing has been received as yet.

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Talks A Good Game

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:43 pm 
Post subject:

Have tried again Leslie.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:49 pm 
Post subject:

Talks A Good Game wrote:
Have tried again Leslie.

sorry nothing coming through.

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:53 pm 
Post subject:

Leslie, I think the email address showing on the EMAIL button below (gmail) is different to the one you use (Googlemail) - if that's how Talks a Good Game is trying to get through to you.
daiward

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:32 pm 
Post subject:

BIN on eBay is the equivalent of fixed prices on dealers lists for many past years. But that is the only similarity as eBay have no-one who can offer any assistance on proper pricing through that experience of dealerships. They just let the seller make a mark often through ignorance of proper valuations. I have seen occasions of sellers seriously underselling their wares and at the same time others are overselling. Whose responsibility is it to educate the new collector? I think eBay have taken the market away from those years of trusting experience of our benefactors to a continual free-for-all messed-up cycle of guesswork. What would I offer eBay as a solution? Employ someone who knows the market as in the long run you may just be missing out on a few pennies which by past moves (especially on postage) means more than a proper pay day. Would that happen? I ain't holding my breath.
hibernian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:41 pm 
Post subject:

Wullie wrote:
If you put a Bin and it goes immediately , you always going to think you could have had more. On the odd occasion i have used this feature i always try and be reasonable as i want it to sell. Some daft bins have been on for as long as eBay has existed it seems. If i look again in ten years time i'll probably still see them unsold.

I had a look on previous listings for the ticket and saw that one sold for £56 plus £12 post from Sweden quite recently. I thought £50 with free post was about right. Happy enough with the price.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:22 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Leslie, I think the email address showing on the EMAIL button below (gmail) is different to the one you use (Googlemail) - if that's how Talks a Good Game is trying to get through to you.

WE GOT THERE IN THE END!

He used neither but an old email address[still works] but i hardly ever use it but it did show up on the second attempt.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:26 pm 
Post subject:

In which case Leslie I suggest you change your email address on the EMAIL button here as it could be wrong (gmail). The one I use for you is Googlemail and that seems to work.
martino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:19 pm 
Post subject:

I can tell you guys a bit more about johnny5bellies and his alter ego allandsunderyagain.

The latter is his wife's account which he uses when he goes up to his limit on 5bellies.

His dad played for Palace reserves in the 50's and 5bellies started to collect reserve programmes his dad played in, and that increased to all reserve programmes. I guess the ones he's selling now are those his dad didn't play in.

He's one of the "harder you work, the luckier you get" types for sure. He got that 1906/7 Programmicard from a bloke in Surrey somewhere and paid a pittance for it. He advertises (or used to) in all the local freebies and someone phoned him up about it. And he goes to all the local auction rooms all the time. I know he gets up early and drives all over the place doing it. Good luck to him.

He has got 1,197 listings on at the moment.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:59 am 
Post subject:

martino wrote:

He has got 1,197 listings on at the moment.

That's just Allandsundryagain.

He has 2,148 as johnny5bellies.

Over 3,000 of those are press photos, mostly 1980's & listed @ £3 each. He's the bobfrank&elvis of press photos on EBay.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:23 am 
Post subject:

daiward wrote:
BIN on eBay is the equivalent of fixed prices on dealers lists for many past years. But that is the only similarity as eBay have no-one who can offer any assistance on proper pricing through that experience of dealerships. They just let the seller make a mark often through ignorance of proper valuations. I have seen occasions of sellers seriously underselling their wares and at the same time others are overselling. Whose responsibility is it to educate the new collector? I think eBay have taken the market away from those years of trusting experience of our benefactors to a continual free-for-all messed-up cycle of guesswork. What would I offer eBay as a solution? Employ someone who knows the market as in the long run you may just be missing out on a few pennies which by past moves (especially on postage) means more than a proper pay day. Would that happen? I ain't holding my breath.

In my area of collecting, the items that sit for month after month after month on eBay at an unrealistic BIN price are from......dealers. I'm guessing these guys think their wares are "properly valued" when in actual fact they are just over priced.

Something is only ever worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
clsyorkshire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:56 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:

In my area of collecting, the items that sit for month after month after month on eBay at an unrealistic BIN price are from......dealers. I'm guessing these guys think their wares are "properly valued" when in actual fact they are just over priced.

A.K.A. the MO of Nob Shank and Pelvis!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:56 pm 
Post subject:

Quote:

Something is only ever worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Again I guess we will never agree. Have you ever tried to sell anything as the main complaints from our hobby always appear to be from 'buyers only'!?
I have been collecting for most of my 60 odd years. I am both a buyer & seller. From those items I purchase I try to balance what is going into my collection. That means I am not a dealership. As for the "properly valued" how can anyone know the price of anything with the many diversified auctions around ? There are items appearing on auctions apart from eBay that a lucky one has snapped up for a pittance & will sell again for a mighty profit.

Something is only ever worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And sometimes they seriously do!
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:49 am 
Post subject:

daiward wrote:

Again I guess we will never agree. Have you ever tried to sell anything as the main complaints from our hobby always appear to be from 'buyers only'!?
I have been collecting for most of my 60 odd years. I am both a buyer & seller. From those items I purchase I try to balance what is going into my collection. That means I am not a dealership. As for the "properly valued" how can anyone know the price of anything with the many diversified auctions around ? There are items appearing on auctions apart from eBay that a lucky one has snapped up for a pittance & will sell again for a mighty profit.

Something is only ever worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And sometimes they seriously do!

It's great that we now have eBay which broke the dealer monopoly and created the environment where it was easy for anyone to buy and sell, and where bargains could (and still can) be had.

It's also reset accepted prices which were artificially high in pre-ebay days, the market decides value based on supply and demand. That can be a good thing and a bad thing depending on your circumstances.

Some dealers have adjusted to this and take a pragmatic view to selling, some clearly have not (as can be evidenced by the overpriced BIN's which never sell) and list the same item month after month after month because they have convinced themselves that's what it is worth, despite nobody being interested. More fool them.
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:57 am 
Post subject:

I can only agree Tynie Topic, the same old stuff are posted on e bay month after month.

And the same price.

But having said that its better than the old dealers "Offers" Shocked

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: