Football Programmes Centre

Arsenal v Leeds United, 05 May 1966
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Arsenal v Leeds United, 05 May 1966
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Footyfan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:32 pm 
Post subject:

Not the only RARE Leeds programme to go for big money this week with a very rare Man Utd v Leeds 69/70 single sheet insert (7 Jan 70 - also postponed) selling for £499.99:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1422.....EBIDX%3AIT

Most surprised to see only one bidder perhaps it is the wrong time of year for many collectors to splash out with all the usual expense of Christmas.

Last edited by Footyfan on Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
JamieH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:57 pm 
Post subject:

square1back2 wrote:
Hi JamieH,

I have known Lennie for a long time, since before he released his first Arsenal Programme guide in 1983 and it was due to the issuing of these early guides that the existence of these postponed programmes came to light. Following publication of the programme lists and dates other Arsenal collectors spoke to him and told him that they had copies of programmes for different dates for example the Leeds United game. If you have a chance to have a look at Lennie's 2007 version of his guide 1946 - 2006 he makes reference to these postponed programmes in his introduction and features the Leeds and Spurs programmes amongst the pictures on the front and back cover.

Thanks for the background information, square1back2.
Interesting to learn about how further knowledge about postponed programmes evolved over time. I imagine Lennie himself must have been pleasantly surprised by the further postponement discoveries. Lennie's currently away on a Winter break, so I'll seek out an updated version of his post-war programme guide when he returns.
Thanks once again.
daiward

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:06 pm 
Post subject:

Quote:
I am a collector of Arsenal programmes and I am lucky enough to have a copy of this programme in my collection although I have only had it for about 6 weeks, having won it on ebay early in November. Since then I have spoken to a leading Arsenal programme dealer, who in his opinion thinks that there are less than 10 copies in existence.

I am ever confused. If this was not bought through the listed bundle with binder are there now three of this supposedly rare postponed issue sold in the last two month period?

JamieH the way to find either of the listings is on an eBay search. For the bundle search Arsenal 1965/66 & click on sold items from the left hand side & scroll down to 10th November. The other is on the same kind of search but be precise as I found yet again eBay's system of searches to be absolute crap. John's can be found on Arsenal v Leeds 1965/6.

I am a child of that time & if I went to any game I had to have that programme in my hands before I could settle for the match. Rained off I would be still be there!
Goonerak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:16 pm 
Post subject:

I had a conversation with a prominent Arsenal collector last week who believes there could be 8 to 10 of the postponed Arsenal V Leeds programmes in existence.
daiward

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:39 pm 
Post subject:

The only way to establish whether the April issue was in fact on sale at the ground is to trace someone who actually remembers being there at the time.

I was one of those barmy kids who would cycle up to the ground at Vicarage Road in search of a programme even though I knew the game was unlikely to start. There are very few Watford postponed homes that are scarce so maybe I was always on a fools errand.

So maybe fair to say that out of the horde that might have been expected to go to Highbury that day only ten people actually wanted that programme enough for that particular reason. Only a true collector from those times would value it. The question is how many other copies ended up trashed? I have heard stories of Watford officials during the 1950's chucking piles of unsold into the skip so why shouldn't it apply to the bigger clubs?

But as I say track down someone who actually was there that day & you may have the answer.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: