Football Programmes Centre

A sad tale
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A sad tale
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:38 pm 
Post subject: A sad tale

Here's a sad little tale...
Up here in Prestatyn we had a street busker, well into his 70s, who all his life had collected football badges.
To say Michael had not been dealt a kind hand was an understatement, he had been dogged by ill-health for the past 20 years or so, lived alone in a dingy flat in Rhyl, had no family and few friends if any.
He would strum his acoustic guitar and sing Tommy Steele songs in the streets of Rhyl and Prestatyn to earn a few bob to supplement his pension and twice a week he would come in my shop and buy football badges.
He always bought two and put two aside for his next visit, this ritual went on week in week out for the three years I have been trading.
He had a speaking voice that was worse than his singing voice and would hang around talking football (Spurs actually - his lifelong love) with me and Les, my helper, for hours.
We would make him a brew and chat patiently until Mike's lack of personal hygiene got the better of us and we would have to ask him to leave.
He was a nice guy down on his luck and I tried to do my best to help him out as far as patience would allow.
He often talked of his badge collection but only said he had 'loads' and was vague on detail.
Anyway, you get the picture.
Six or seven weeks ago Mike stopped coming in, no-one saw him, the shop doorways he frequented with his guitar were empty.
Transpired he had suffered a massive heart attack and died alone in his squalid flat. It was five days before his body was found, lying half in and half out of bed.
I only found this out today when one of his few mates came in the shop with a carrier bag rammed with non-league pin badges - over 2,000 of them all stored in chocolate boxes from the 60s and 70s.
It seemed Mike had told his pal that if anything happened to him his non-league badge collection was to come to me. I was choked.
If any forum members collect non-league badges I will gladly check wants lists, just drop me a PM or call me on 07753 966805.
The saddest postscript to this tale is that Mike's body has been in the morgue for over three weeks as our local council won't release his body for a pauper's burial until they have evidence that someone can actually pay for it.
I will donate any money from sales of these badges to the fund.
The pictures show about a third of what was brought in.
Diolch pawb
Mark

TheMusic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:02 pm 
Post subject:

Do you have a Ponteland United one there? Either way, I don't collect badges but please put me down for a fiver towards the cause. You should be proud you helped give him some happiness towards the end of his life with your kind hospitality and of course your badges which he clearly appreciated. Good on you.
PhilWBA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:45 pm 
Post subject:

Sad to hear that. RIP

Not much of a badge collector, I do have a few Spanish I keep and add to from time to time but if there is anything from Oldbury United, Sandwell Borough, Smethwick Highfield, Ashtree Highfield or Tividale let me know

websites - www.footballstickershop.com
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:54 pm 
Post subject:

Very saddened reading that, the poor bugger.

The kindness you extended to him and all those cuppas obviously meant a lot to him Mark.

Much more than you realised.

PS. Have you considered creating a "Go Fund Me" page for Michael's burial and sharing your story around the footy forums / social media plugging it?

There's a lot of good-hearted folk out there just like yourself.
Posh1959

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:13 pm 
Post subject:

Very very sad, he obviously really valued your company. Hope he gets the send off that anybody deserves. Rest in peace Michael.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:54 pm 
Post subject:

Jeezo. I’m not a badge collector but if there’s anything Scotland related or Scottish non-league let me know.

Even if there’s not, happy to chuck a few bob towards helping get this poor guy a decent burial. He was clearly a collector/hoarder like all of us and your generosity and patience undoubtedly meant a lot to him.
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:19 pm 
Post subject:

You are a true gent Mark, I hope those badges serve him well.
Fishy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:22 pm 
Post subject:

Easy Easy Easy
Superblue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:03 pm 
Post subject:

Sad story, it seems the blokes life was busking and visiting your shop and you making him welcome and giving him a cuppa on every visit made his day. What a lovely Collection he had and I hope he gets a proper burial soon. I agree with a earlier post that you should start a go fund me page, I'm sure there plenty of forum members and football fans that would make a donation.

The sad fact is that there is hundreds of people like him up and down the country.

Kyle
Five and In

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:33 am 

It just shows how much the little things matter.
Giving Michael time to talk obviously became a huge part of his week and good on you for doing so Mark.
As previously mentioned on here, the fund seems a good idea., but a local newspaper would probably cover the story and could raise funds too?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:41 am 
Post subject:

Mark, you're a saint.

There but for the grace of God - there could be a few on here thinking that.

Please let me know if you do set up a funding page, I'll be there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
holtie96

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:04 pm 
Post subject: Help

Me too
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:23 am 
Post subject:

i despair at the inequality we put up with in the name of "free trade" as the rich get richer and bugger everyone else.

We like to think of ourselves as civilised - and, as a rule, we are - but our elected representatives' priorities are, and always have been, elsewhere....

Anything Penzance-related I'd be interested in, Mark.
Or anything else related to Cornwall clubs.
Eck

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:48 am 
Post subject:

Shame, poor soul, I don't collect but i'll buy £20 worth - don't mind what they are but Havant & Waterlooville, Fareham, Gosport.
se20blue

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:26 am 
Post subject:

What a sad story, makes one think what could happen.
Would be happy to buy any Bromley or Ipswich Town badges.

Mark, please let us know if a fund is set up for the funeral.

Regards

Don
beaudog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:31 pm 

It happens with me. People come to the stall and chat about football and anything else that crops up. Often they are not making a purchase, but the fact that they can talk to someone on a regular basis is so important and it becomes part of their weekly ritual and they enjoy it. It is a help to them and the stall is often a meeting place. So well done Mark and it looks as though you are able to help the chap with a fund. Make it public and I am sure the story will touch many collectors' hearts.
bigearl79

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:13 pm 
Post subject:

Indeed a sad tale. Shared this on my facebook and to a few related groups.
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:40 am 
Post subject:

I am really touched by the all the kind words - it seems poor Michael's sad demise has a touched a nerve with us all. I have ben a bit quiet on this since my original post as there may be more to tell but I won't find out till the weekend. I will keep you all informed. Bear with me.
Diolch pawb.
Mark
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:41 pm 
Post subject:

I'll throw a tenner in Mark if you let me know details.

If you have any Scottish non league badges I'd certainly be interested in having a list of them please?

thanks, John
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:36 pm 
Post subject:

I'm in too. So sad to hear that but you can be proud that you made a difference in this poor old fellows life.

I know you mentioned non league but if the collection extends past that and there are any Rangers items l'd be interested.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: