Football Programmes Centre

How old are we all?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How old are we all?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slugger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:37 pm 
Post subject: How old am I

I'm 63, and wondering where all the collecting years have gone since my first Newport County match against Oldham in August 1962.

Like some others, I lost interest in collecting programmes between about 21 and 40, with many issues being thrown out with the refuse.

I regained enthusiasm and now have almost all County homes, bar about 7,from 1945-1989, but need several more away issues. Not much comes up these days, so I can't see me completing before my time is up!.

As asides, I have invested in some rarer Cardiff and Bristol items, essentially as swaps for County needs that no-one seems to have, though.

Will have to do a fair next year to get rid of hundreds of surplus programmes, I think.

Cheers,

John
Fishy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:50 pm 
Post subject:

I was 60 back in May - play-off weekend.
Millwall lost and so did my second team - Argyle. Despite that our sojourn from the Westcountry was good fun.

My first match was at Home Park in 1966 after the World Cup. What a night that was! It was the English league v Irish lleague. I still have the programme. Then came a game at The Den and several at Argyle.

I always picked up programmes at the matches but wasn't really a collector. I had loads of autographed Argyle issues from the early 70s which are long gone.

Serious collecting started in early 2003 - I started buying via Ebay to get the full 55/6 collection of Lions programmes. The rest is history now - a few 1st team post war aways needed, quite a few more Reserves & Youth but it is progressing.

Ian
bobholl29

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:48 pm 
Post subject:

just made me feel better seeing that I am in a group of 60's +.

Turned 63 last week, but after following the Stags for 55 years, I feel 93
colchestersid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:06 pm 
Post subject:

Where did it all start? Brooke Bond tea cards - one of my earliest memories is about 5 years old, opening the packet of tea every week, desperately hoping that the card would be one we didn't already have. Albums and cards are still on my shelf behind me, just about the only possessions I still have from my childhood

My first West Ham game was in 1975, lost 4-1 at Ipswich - I kept the programme which I still have, even though my sister drew all over it. She is now the European, Middle East and Asia chief executive of an American investment bank!!

By 2011 I had a complete collection of West Ham post war home and away, virtually complete on reserve/youth homes post war, most England post war home and away tickets, a decent collection of West Ham tickets and had started and stopped other side collections (fanzines, football ground postcards, football grounds (400+), countries (100))

Then, usual story, met a girl, got married, had a baby, stopped going to football, stopped collecting new season programmes...
Superblue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:19 pm 
Post subject:

So like I said in a previous post, I am 25, 26 in January, massive Carlisle United fan who doesn't get to as many games as I would like due to work commitments. Here's when I started collecting things (I think).

Around 2006-07 when I started collecting Carlisle United badges I think, I got a scarf that belong to my late Uncle which had a pin badge on it so I put the badge on my hat. Then I got a couple of badges for Christmas and it went from there.

I've got ticket stubs from our season in the Conference and just collect the ones from the games I go to, got a bit of a collection now, not just Carlisle games.

With Programmes, slightly later, most programmes are games I went to and mainly modern.

Also collect Scarves and other items, Mainly Carlisle United.

My Collection is all modern apart from a few exceptions, probably worthless but I don't collect to keep and try and sell on for a profit. I collect because I love it. So my collection maybe worthless to a expert but it's priceless to me.

Kyle
Davee59

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:35 pm 
Post subject:

Well I am 57 so pushing up the average a little bit. I don't really consider myself a collector as such because I just used to keep programmes from games that I attended. The first one which I still have was the Palace v Man Utd game in 1969, Palaces first ever game in the top division.
We moved to Gloucester after that season so dad would take me to Swindon or West Brom when London teams were playing. I opted to follow Spurs but Palace were always my second team.
We lived abroad for a couple of years and came back to Suffolk so went to see London teams at Ipswich and Norwich.
Moved to Brighton, well Hove actually just after start of 1979/80 season, stopped on the way down to see Palace thump Ipswich 4-1 to lead the Top Division for the first time in their history.
Finally I had a good job and was within reach of WHL so I started going home and away. You didn't need a ticket in them days just get there early enough.
So my programmes are all from the last 50 years and probably would fetch less than I paid for them but although I have sold a few at boot fairs it is hard to get rid of them.
An old man asked me to sell his collection and that is what led to me finding this forum. I had some good advice but I was told that programmes prices are severely reduced with punch holes. I have sold some on ebay and been pleasantly surprised at how much some have gone for. Thanks to all those who took the time to give me advice and particularly Pete of Picture Palace fame who bought quite a few Palace and put me in touch with a Croydon Amateurs collector and shared a few beers with me.
In never ceases to amaze me the knowledge that this forum's members have and I enjoy looking in daily to see what topics are being discussed.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:51 am 
Post subject:

55 if you believe my birth certificate.

However, 55 implies a level of adult maturity that I don't for one minute purport to possess.

This flat is a menagerie of programmes, 45s, LPs and books, unencumbered by the nuisance of offspring or a wife.

My choice. Right one for me.
Eck

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:40 am 
Post subject:

I was 60 on November 6th, this is the best card I ever got on my birthday.
Rafehod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:48 am 
Post subject:

48 going on 24

Middlesbrough fan and collector, who does things at times, I should no better.......according to my wife.

Watching Middlesbrough under Southgate and Strachan finished me off going to games as they were painfully dull (god help England) Mowbray was not much better but will let him off as I was at school with him although I was a couple of years younger did play football with him regularly.

Middlesbrough's resurgence under Karanka has been an amazing turn around at times playing some nice football although a bit rigid in his one system only rule, still I will take this as we are at last moving in the right direction and feel he could well win us a trophy if he hangs around.

Now moved to the Wirral so games are now not an option but if they bring back stands like has been mentioned I may well partake in the odd away game when they come over into this area.

Always interested in groups of 1950s Boro home or Aways, as a fair few holes in my collection.
Tigerhawk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:05 pm 
Post subject:

I'm 58

Really only started collecting about 14 years ago when I decided to collect all my home team (Havant & Waterlooville) programmes as they had only been going since 1998, have since got every programme but two of their competitive programmes, ironically both are against Cowes Sports in the HSC.

Since then I have moved on to collecting their former clubs, Havant Town and all it's former guises and Waterlooville.
smk06

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:35 pm 
Post subject:

I'm 35, started collecting in my early teens then took a break for a few years. Now looking for 7 Derby home programmes to complete my collection back to the 1945/46 season. Please get in touch if you have any of them for sale!

Derby County home wants:
1982/83 Sunderland Fr (s/s)
Reds v Whites & Whites v Blues 1948-1957
1946/47 Arsenal post 5/2

Derby County away wants:
1968/69 Carlisle post 8/2/69
1946/47 Middlesbrough, Liverpool
1945/46 West Brom

Also looking for Guiseley home programmes pre-1980s.
NeilP

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:38 pm 
Post subject:

53 year old Hibs fan and collector.

Started collecting in my teens but other priorities came along and I sold my collection about 30 years ago. Re-started collecting about 10 years ago, in addition to Hibs programmes and tickets I collect winning cup runs in the Scottish cup competitions and a number of other random collections!
swnydwr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:38 pm 
Post subject:

47 year old Liverpool fan

First game was welsh cup final Bangor v Wrexham - it think 77/78 season at Farrar Rd.

Been collecting on and off for a long time but just collect Liverpool tickets and European programmes these days.
clsyorkshire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:16 pm 
Post subject:

Bringing the average age down a bit. 32 and a half.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:43 pm 
Post subject: How old are we all

63, My first game 2/2/64 St Johnstone 1 Hearts 4, I collect Hearts homes only 46 to 79. European home and away progs and tickets and Semi and Finals tickets Hearts have been in.
AJLFC85

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:04 pm 
Post subject:

27 been collecting since the age of 13 when a friend who lived up the road from me used to get programmes for free off a commentator. He had no interest in them so I just brought the bulk lot off him all the time and would love going through them! I then started to collect the Chelsea home and away programmes,team sheets and ticket stubs in 2004/05 at the age of 15 and at the end of the season sold the whole lot for £1300 making a nice profit and since then have just purchased a lot of odd things which catch my eye and store away. I mainly collect anything to do with Alan Shearer now or football shirts which my passion has changed towards from programmes over the last few years!
mancitymark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:08 am 
Post subject:

Will turn 43 next year and been collecting since the age of 9 when my Grandfather gave me some Man City programmes that my cousin had sent him for me, who was playing for City at the time, This started a fixation with City & programme collecting which is going as strong as ever today.

As my business has grown over the last 10 years or so it has enabled me to become a more serious collector although I've only ever collected City. I enjoy collecting and crossing off wants more now than I ever did and currently working on seasons 1947/48(Just Arsenal home needed) to 1955/56 which is proving more difficult.

I have recently moved house which comes complete with a City programme room.....................Sorry I mean office Very Happy Sherlock Sherlock
blackburncollector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:07 pm 
Post subject:

at (just) 41 I've always thought of myself at the younger end of the scale and attending programme fairs certainly enforces this thought although I think that eBay (for all the good and bad of it) has probably brought younger people into the hobby that might not have otherwise.

I suspect the average age is probably older than on here due to the very nature of the older generation using the internet less than us younger ones... Smile
kpswannie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:14 pm 
Post subject:

I've not long turned 44
Been collecting since the early 80s but only in recent years have I been able to spend large amounts on items Laughing

I don't miss the days of programme catalogues and blind biding although I do miss the programme fairs where you could meet people

I help run the Rangers memorabilia buy/sell page on facebook which as a group is going from strength to strength Easy
gfcpaul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:38 pm 
Post subject:

Will be 55 in January.
Although the Wife and Kids tell me i'll grow up one day. Laughing Laughing Laughing
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: