Football Programmes Centre

How old are we all?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How old are we all?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stourbridge Lion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:42 pm 
Post subject:

Just gone 50 - I have been collecting programmes since my first couple of United games in the mid 70's and in later years have progressed to tickets,signed stuff and England plus pretty much anything else of interest! As previous posters have said I have also always collected stuff over the years from childhood be it beer mats,speedway programmes,stamps etc The spare room and loft are now bulging at the seams so I do try to just concentrate on my United collection now,like many others on here a visit to my humble abode would be a dream come true from one of those hoarder TV programmes! Very Happy
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:48 pm 
Post subject:

I was 54 earlier this week and started collecting when i was 14 due to a combination of my Dad bringing me a copy of the 1976 FA Cup Final programme from a work colleague who had been to the match and me starting to go to Carlisle home games.

I bought programmes from matches I attended and also bought big match programmes from David Stacey. I probably started collecting seriously in the late 80s when money was available. A good decision was to concentrate on 1940s Carlisle programmes. Later I picked up the 60s and 70s items I needed and then went on to the 50s. I now need half a dozen Carlisle homes back to the war and a few more aways. I have got over 150 Carlisle pre war and, as Carlisle items I need turn up infrequently, I have been buying better copies of items I already have plus branched out into pre 1951 Workington and general pre- war programmes.

I am a complete addict and still love that noise when a package comes through the letterbox and drops onto the floor.

I am a season ticket holder at Carlisle and get to quite a few aways each season. I buy the current season issues for the sake of completeness, but rarely read them.

Programme collecting is one of the few things that has stayed a part of my adult life. I can't see that changing any time soon.
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:04 pm 
Post subject:

48.....have collected Pompey stuff for years now. I was very lucky that my old man took me to Fratton Park when I was very young, although my mermories of the boys in Royal blue start about 1977. Have collected programmes, tickets, menus, badges, cigarette cards, scarfs, signed memorabilia etc for along time but now my daughters are grown up I am in a fortunate position that I can now spend a little more on the hobby than I could when they were younger! Have been a season ticket holder since the 90,s and find it funny that I'm back in the 4th division with Pompey where it all started so long ago!!! Nod
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:10 pm 
Post subject:

What a fine day to have your birthday Chris. I will turn 56 on that day. Started collecting when I went to my first game in 1971 at Ashton Gate. (Yes the first 4 games I ever saw were on the wrong side of town. I have been collecting ever since and have only ever got rid of 4 programmes from said collection. They weren't sold though, I burnt them. I will leave it to you to decide which ones they were.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
cfcmartin1965

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:35 pm 
Post subject:

51 earlier this year. First programme was for my first Chelsea match against Luton at Easter 1977.Then got a progtamme for every game i went to after that along with getting away programmes from either the Supporters Club Shop down the Fulham Road or the programme cabin on the concourse in front of the old Shed End entrance.
A family friend gave me a suitcase of 1960's programmes from all clubs & that is was really got me into collecting older programmes.
Sold my collection when I bought my first house as needed the money but still got a programme when i still went to watch the Blues play, Then about 15 years ago decided that I should try & get programmes from the games I went to when i was younger.Once that was done decided to carry on collecting until I got my collection up to what it was when I was a teenager.
Now have over 4500 Chelsea home & away programmes with over 150 pre-war homes.Although no longer go to watch Chelsea still get the programmes to keep the collection going.
bee007

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:39 pm 
Post subject: How old are we all

I am 57. A lifelong Barnet fan,( first game was when I was 9 ) I collected Badges from all clubs visited plus any others I could get. At the end of the 90's, I had my entire collection stolen, so gave up. 3 years ago I decided to collect again, but this time only Supporters Club Badges from English/Welsh clubs. Only 4 short of having the 92 league clubs, the rest are all non-league. The one badge I would love to get again is the Barnet Supporters Association Badge with Buttonhole fitting. I have only ever seen one and that was in my first collection, so if anybody has a spare one, I would be interested. A Question. Are there any dealers on this forum who, go to the fairs or have shops, that have Badges for sale that are not also selling on Ebay?
ntw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:58 pm 
Post subject:

36 year-old egg-chasing interloper here. Was hoping to be the youngest on here, but alas as often seems to be the case these days, no longer much chance of that!

Always got a prog from going to games with my old man from when I was 8 (he used to take me to watch Liverpool before from about age 6, but there were never any kids tickets available and prices started to creep up-think he bailed when they bust a tenner, so he took me to our home town rugby team as it was loads cheaper Smile ).

Aged 16 I missed a prog at a game for the first time, and in tracking it down came across a dealer. Had always been interested in history at school, and sports history generally, so seeing progs from old competitions, a lot fairly cheap, got me intrigued, so I picked up a few and it all went from there. Now complete at home post-war, need 34 away, and also got just over 100 pre-war, plus every replica shirt since 1989 (apart from last season away which I just need to sort out!), a few medals (including the pride of my collection, a 1905 Challenge Cup winners one), and loads of other related stuff-basically anything I can lay my hands on.

House move 2 years ago and renovation project meant I managed to secure a full room for it all which was predominantly completed a couple of months ago-will post some pics up on here some time, as re-housed my whole collection (took 6 months+!), but worth the financial and time commitment IMO.

Still picking up plenty of stuff, and everything is now catalogued, but next exercise is scanning it all, and linking to my historical records-ultimate aim is a website to showcase the two, but that might have to wait until I'm older than the average age on here Wink
whosbrianwilson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:01 pm 
Post subject:

62 and a lifelong Crewe fan.

Been a bit tough to say that over the last few weeks but it seems, sadly, that we are very much not alone.

Followed them since the bad old days of begging for votes to stave off relegation to non league, through the glory years of being in the top half of the championship, back to where we started all those years ago. Throw in 4 Wembley appearances, a few promotions and relegations, and its been a roller coaster.

1000's of programmes etc make up my collection and what do my 2 children say? "Just mark the ones on your lists that are worth some money" lol!! Fortunately my wife (of 37 years) humours me, but I can't have any more cupboards in the spare room.

My username stems from the re-emergence of the God known as Brian Wilson back in 2002 after many years in the wilderness. Went to see him in concert, bought myself a t shirt, only to be met with "who's brian wilson" every time I wore it. Heathens!!!
wdy11

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:11 pm 
Post subject:

Just turned 32 so the second youngest so far I believe! started collecting in my teenage years after finding my fathers old collection of 1970s Spurs programmes and just wanted to fill gaps. Now just short 30 post 1961 programmes most of which I could probably find on eBay. I then began picking up teamsheets and most recently tickets. Seem to be very keen on European tickets at the moment although they seem to go for big money now. Problem being a Tottenham collector is there are a fair few others out there with very deep pockets although thats not stopped me from having some nice things with my prized possession a match worn Klinsmann away shirt from the 94/5 season, one of my favourite Tottenham away shirts of all time!
TartanTyneArmy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:40 pm 
Post subject:

A not so baby faced 25 year old here.

Dad took me to the football after I got hooked watching France 98. First game Scotland v Bosnia 1999. We got to the game at Ibrox very early and dad spotted Hugh Dallas, the lead Scottish ref at the time. He had recently been pivotal in an Old Firm Derby game and ended up leaving the game with blood streaming from his head after being hit by a coin thrown from the crowd. Dad asked him to sign my program.

From that moment on I started hoarding....

https://www.flickr.com/gp/142569771@N06/P4X739
NWM Football

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:42 am 
Post subject:

Another 48 year-old checking in here !

First footballing memory I can recall is seeing Mick Jones getting stretchered off at the end of the 1972 F.A. Cup Final. Then comes following a rather important relegation skirmish between Spurs & Chelsea on LBC in April 1975....and another Spurs fan was born !!!

First programme I acquired was Steve Perryman's Testimonial when he opened one of his shops in Greenford in 1979, and first visit to WHL was for a game with Sunderland in September 1980. Had an uncle who was box office manager at Wembley for many years, and though I only ever took advantage of that once (for some reason I fancied going to what proved to be Everton's opening salvo in their fabulous 1984-85 season when they beat Liverpool in the F.A. Charity Shield), a regular stream of programmes was forthcoming for many years until he retired.

Fortunate in having an understanding missus, but we've always given each other the space for our own hobbies, so she knew what she was letting herself in for, and occasionally helps me out at fairs. Apart from the usual nightmare friendlies/postponed issues, have every THFC 1st XI home programme from around 1954 onwards, and plenty from before (in fact only issue in my lifetime I don't have is QPR postponed from November 1968, and will never be prepared to shell out four-figures for one of the dozen or so that got out), oldest prog I have is rather heavily taped Spurs v. Arsenal issue from September 1922 which I've had for years. Collecting is pretty much restricted to picking up the occasional pre-war THFC issue on ebay when they surface at the right price. Also have a large collection of big match, including a full run of post war F.A. Cup Finals, so obviously keep those up-to-date too.

(I also picked a matchworn Spurs shirt in a charity shop some years ago for £4.50 !!! I could see it in their backroom being dry cleaned and prepared for sale, but they were happy to let me take it. It's a 1993-95 Umbro home shirt, probably a reserve or friendly issue. Fully embroidered crest, stitched Umbro No. 5, PL sleeve badges, but no name - would have been Colin Calderwood if it had been full 1st XI issue - great find though ! I NEVER walk past an open charity shop, have found so many gems in them over the years).
Visit http://nwmfootball.com/ for programmes, books, DVDs, shirts & sportswear and other football collectables. Click here http://nwmfootball.com/nwm-diary/ to see which Programme Fairs and Antiques & Collectors' Fairs we will be attending.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:55 am 
Post subject:

Now 48 entries and the average is a bit lower - 50.02.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
nozer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:01 am 
Post subject: How old.

69 next year,been collecting memo 're the late Derek Dougan for over 50 years,my girlfriend thinks there is something wrong with me,and she's probably right? .
houghmartin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:05 am 
Post subject:

38 years old...

my Dad took me to my first game aged 7 in 1985 at Anfield. Many trips to Anfield, Goodison and Gresty Road followed over the next few years before I told my Dad that I enjoyed going to Crewe the most!

Collected programmes right from the start - my Dad always got a prog from each game and collected Liverpool full seasons. He also has a very nice historical Liverpool collection! I have every game I have ever attended (mostly Crewe) with the exception of one game at Nantwich town in the early 90s where there was some kind of printing issue and they ran out Mad

Moving to the US for work in 2004 hindered both my football watching and my collecting but the growth of ebay has allowed me to pick up the programme collecting part again. For the last 15 years or so I have also really got into the badge collecting.
kcs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:37 am 
Post subject:

I'm 35 and been collecting since I was around 10 years old. Albeit I didn't realise I was collecting I guess. I just picked up the odd few Leeds homes at my local teams club ahop. I seem to recall the first season issues I picked up were from 1989/90. This coincides with my first sticker album - Football 90. I guess this is when the collecting bug was formed but serious collecting in the last 10-12 years or so.

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
holtie96

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:13 am 
Post subject: How old

After a manic week at work can finally bring the average age down by 0.1 years or so!
I am 46, collected since a kid when my uncle passed on a large chunk of his collection to me when I was 9 and I then used to buy those great bundles through the late David Stacey which were advertised in match day programmes.
Managed to help my uncle who needed some money at the time to sell his prized remaining items which he thought were worthless presenting him with a cheque for £3k at a time when programmes were selling well for example the Athletico Madrid 1962 European cup winners cup final replay fetching £400!
I have kept hoarding with the view that my daughters will need to get through university and my treasures which have given me pleasure may help to fund their journey but now that my eldest is about to start that journey I don't think I can part with them or to be honest they will fetch what I was hoping for in this current market.
Many of my items can be viewed on my Twitter page @collectfootball
hibernian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:41 am 
Post subject:

Just turned 56. Started collecting in early 70s but not seriously. Early 80s the hobby took hold when visiting Alan Cunninghams shop in Edinburgh. I only wish I bought some of the pre war/ 40s issues that he had available.
Once the Hibs collection neared completion I branched out into Scottish Cup finals, Scottish one per club and Europeans.
In the last few years interest has waned and ive only kept my pre 60 Hibs and one per club along with finals and internationals
I've recently started selling some programmes and tickets on eBay. It's been ok so will auction more off in the new year.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:09 pm 
Post subject:

I can give Methuselah a couple of years start - or it certainly feels like it at tiems despite only being 62.

Was lucky enough to retire at 54 and started a small part time business selling programmes and memoerabilia. Think I enhanced a few collectors collections on here over time. Gave that up when my club Auchinleck Talbot asked me if I'd help them fund raise for the regeneration of our ground by selling programmes from fans donations. Have so far raised £8,700 and have the largest programme shop in Scotland at any ground of any grade. Also run the only programme fair in Scotland, and have done for the last 3 years.

Prior to moving to Scotland I ran the programme shop at Blundell Park with now (sadly deceased) friends, Sid Woodhead and Ron Cowling as RJS Programmes. As programme shops at Football League clubs went it was certainly up there with the best, and we used to run annual programme fairs at Blundell Park. We were given the keys to the offices after the game on the Saturday and gave them back on Monday. Can't see too many clubs doing that nowadays?

Have downsized hugely from my original 30,000 programmes as I'd decided that running a business and collecting at the same time was probably counter productive so confine myself now to my Auchinleck Talbot collection and a bulging library. Having recently started collecting pre 1970 tickets just as a side issue to keep me interested. Thought it would be one here, one there, but spent £95 last night on some Arsenal tickets. Will soon need to kick that particular habit as well.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:27 pm 
Post subject:

Just turned 63. Started collecting in 1962 when my grandfather took me to Elland Road. I used to write to clubs with a SAE and often received 3/4 programmes + autograpgh sheet in return. Foolishly, I placed an advert in Soccer Star mag offering 3-1 exchange and was inundated with parcels of programmes. My father had to fork out a fortune to return them all - I was 11 years old - still chuckle about that incident now.

My 2nd team is Bradford PA, often used to go and watch them in the 1960s when Leeds were playing away. Hope they get back in the League before I pass on.

Took a break from collecting when I joined the Army in 1975 and my mother bless her, threw out a load of my football stuff unbeknown to me. Had to fill the gaps but the search is the fun for me.

Much prefer the 1950s/60s programmes to the bland magazine style stuff of today. Limit my collecting to a handful per season these days and continue to add older stuff as I find it. Have 100s of programmes/tickets spare so have launched my own website to fund my collecting - keeps the wife happy that I am not 'wasting' the housekeepin money on what she calls 'rubbish'.

The big dilemma is when to stop and sell up as I have no one to hand it on too. My daughter is a Leeds fan but no interest is musty old programmes.!
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:21 pm 
Post subject:

I'll be 53 next month. Started collecting after picking up my first programme at the first game I attended, the 1973 Scottish Cup Semi Final between Ayr United and Rangers. Went to the Junior cup final a few weeks later ( Cambuslang Rangers v Irvine Meadow) and bought a programme there too and that was it.

Collected Rangers and big match until 1988 when I moved to the States and left them behind. Never bothered with them until about four years ago when on a trip back to Scotland the mother in law gave me a couple of mid 90's Rangers Champions league games she had picked up in a charity shop and that reignited my interest. Now have most of the collection over here with me. I'm pretty selective on what I buy now., and generally picking up scarcer items.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: