Football Programmes Centre

Steve G.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Steve G.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nozer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:44 pm 
Post subject: Steve G.

Steven Gerrard announced his retirement,thanks steve for so many great memorys.
Rafehod

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:47 pm 
Post subject:

Total legend of a player, the best midfielder England have produced in the last 25 years at least.........now the big question is he going to take the managers job at Swindon Town?
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:37 pm 
Post subject:

LEGEND

One of a small handful of players I've seen in my lifetime who could win games almost single-handed.

"You Beauty"
Five and In

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:44 pm 

Quality player and loyal too. A rare breed these days.
He deserved a title winners medal to top it all off. Bow
NWM Football

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:08 pm 
Post subject:

Single-handedly won the F.A. Cup Final for Liverpool in 2006.
Visit http://nwmfootball.com/ for programmes, books, DVDs, shirts & sportswear and other football collectables. Click here http://nwmfootball.com/nwm-diary/ to see which Programme Fairs and Antiques & Collectors' Fairs we will be attending.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:22 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
LEGEND

One of a small handful of players I've seen in my lifetime who could win games almost single-handed.

"You Beauty"

Yes, between us all we should compile a list of players who could win games almost single-handedly. Metaphorically speaking of course as most of them needed a few other players around them. But where can I start?

The most recent instance I saw was Palace v Newcastle, 2013/4, and Yohan Cabaye completely dominated the game, scoring one and making the others. For Newcastle that is - he hasn't come anywhere near doing that in his 18 months at Selhurst.

Yaya Toure pushed that performance close for Man City at Palace in the same season.

I'll leave it there as I can go back to the 60's and can think of a few in the "golden era" who would qualify. Over to you guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:37 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:
LEGEND

"You Beauty"

Yes, between us all we should compile a list of players who could win games almost single-handedly. Metaphorically speaking of course as most of them needed a few other players around them. But where can I start?

The most recent instance I saw was Palace v Newcastle, 2013/4, and Yohan Cabaye completely dominated the game, scoring one and making the others. For Newcastle that is - he hasn't come anywhere near doing that in his 18 months at Selhurst.

Yaya Toure pushed that performance close for Man City at Palace in the same season.

I'll leave it there as I can go back to the 60's and can think of a few in the "golden era" who would qualify. Over to you guys.

Maradona, Mexico '86 is always the first example that springs to my mind Pete.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:52 pm 
Post subject:

...... "without cheating".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:54 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
...... "without cheating".

Laughing Laughing
CodeXIII

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:15 pm 
Post subject:

Roy Keane Champions League semi 1999 away v Juventus.

2 nil down, away in Italy after 20 minutes. I thought he won that game 'almost' single handed.
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:20 pm 
Post subject:

Pompey Player.........Robert Prosinecki's performance against Grimsby back in the 2001-02 season. Pompey won 4 v 2 and the former Barcelona/Real Madrid player ran the show.........having a hand in all four goals and leaving a number of Grimsby players on their backsides as he dropped his shoulders and continually steppped over the ball! He followed that performance up with another 5 star show and a hatrick against Barnsley.....winning 4 v 2 it seemed his job was done.......however Linvoy Primus was sent off and in the remaining minutes of the game Barnsley scored twice to gain a unexpected point in a 4 v 4 draw. Rumour has it Prosinecki left the Park "unwashed" and buggered off back to his hotel in a huff!

Managed to meet the great man himself and get the above photo signed by him......unfortunately he spoke hardly any English so the conversation wasn't too Good or very long for that matter! Still cant believe he turned up at Fratton Park and actually wore the Royal Blue of Pompey!

Opposition Player........Paul Gascoinge's performance against Pompey in the 5th round of the 1991 FA Cup........losing 1 v 0 at half time "Gazza" single handly turned the tie around with a wonderful second half showing which included both of Spurs goals. A wonderful Player who like George Best had the world at his feet.......so sad to see him the way he is today.

Grateful that I saw both players in the flesh and that includes stevie G who was another fantastic player and a great servant to Liverpool FC. I just hope he gets to join the famous Anfield "boot room"......

Last edited by PompeyPhil on Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
safc66

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:40 pm 
Post subject:

Hi I'm looking for Pompey v Sunderland 56/57 if you can help?
Kind Regards,
Stephen.
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:56 pm 
Post subject:

safc66 wrote:
Hi I'm looking for Pompey v Sunderland 56/57 if you can help?
Kind Regards,
Stephen.

You have a PM..... please check your messages!
TartanTyneArmy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:45 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
LEGEND

"You Beauty"

Not a Gerrard fanboy but totally agree. He carried a lot of players to places they otherwise have wouldn't have reached. He could dig in. The type of player that wouldn't hide and take the game by clichéd 'scruff of the neck'. A 'we need a goal, lets get the ball forward any-which-way' mentality.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/142569771@N06/P4X739
NWM Football

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:58 pm 
Post subject:

PompeyPhil's comment about the '91 Cup tie and Gazza, reminds of a career changing afternoon for another Spurs man who has sadly been in the news for not very pleasant reasons over the last few days.

Spurs v. Luton, December 1990. Nayim sent off for lip, Ceri Hughes (if memory serves) sent off for Luton, and Pat van den Hauwe sent off for putting a Luton player into the first row of the West Stand.....9 v 10, and Paul Stewart, a "striker" who has spent a couple of years unsuccessfully trying to hit a cow's arse with a banjo is forced to drop back into midfield.

4.45pm and two goals in an outstanding box-to-box performance later, and a midfielder who would be man of the match in the F.A. Cup Final five months later (and even a England international player for a few games) is born.

The game did actually open my eyes to the fact Terry Venables was never the fantastic manager everyone made him out to be. Surely it didn't need a "no other option" situation in a match to see that Paul Stewart might be more effective in midfield ???
Visit http://nwmfootball.com/ for programmes, books, DVDs, shirts & sportswear and other football collectables. Click here http://nwmfootball.com/nwm-diary/ to see which Programme Fairs and Antiques & Collectors' Fairs we will be attending.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:38 am 
Post subject:

CodeXIII wrote:
Roy Keane Champions League semi 1999 away v Juventus.

2 nil down, away in Italy after 20 minutes. I thought he won that game 'almost' single handed.

0-2 down in ten minutes!!!! spent the game dodging flares and threats from the stewards typical eye talian match even the stewards had scarves covering up their faces.

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:46 am 

As Pompey and NWM have already mentioned, my first thought was Paul Gascoigne, not just in the game at Portsmouth, but the entire FA Cup run that season that was handicapped by a hernia operation if I recall correctly. He was superhuman.

So here's a lesser light worthy of a mention.
John Pratt, the target of much stick from the Spurs crowd.
1978 away at Notts County and 3-1 down in our Division Two season, he drove the team forward and hit two crackers from outside the box to secure a draw.
At the end of the season, we went up on goal difference, so the implications of a defeat could have been massive.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: