Football Programmes Centre

RECENT PRICES PAID FOR TOP PROGRAMMES
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
RECENT PRICES PAID FOR TOP PROGRAMMES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What has been happening to prices of top programmes (£25+) in recent months?
Going up
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
Going down
46%
 46%  [ 12 ]
Staying roughly the same
30%
 30%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 26

Rocon17

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:13 pm 
Post subject: RECENT PRICES PAID FOR TOP PROGRAMMES

What is your experience of recent prices paid or received for higher value programmes?
Please vote in the poll.
thanks
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:30 pm 
Post subject:

Is this what collecting has now honestly become? What will such a poll achieve? Are you going to produce a thesis on the outcome?
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:32 pm 
Post subject:

An interesting wee poll to see what collectors think Thumbs Up
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:27 pm 
Post subject:

I'll vote in your poll - but I think a far more telling question would be "what is the average age of a serious programme collector in 2016?"

How many of the regulars on here, for instance, won't ever see their 40th birthday again?
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:36 pm 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:
Is this what collecting has now honestly become? What will such a poll achieve? Are you going to produce a thesis on the outcome?

John, I agree - but I look at 1 or 2 Facebook groups that you and I are on and I see people trying their best to flog stuff for 25p a time. Might as well give it away for nothing - if only to stimulate interest!

The hobby needs (if it wants to remain sustainable) to have long since asked itself "how do we get youngsters involved?"
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:38 pm 
Post subject:

Maybe the hobby has evolved and it is now 30/40 years olds taking up the hobby, not 10 year olds?
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:38 pm 
Post subject:

i wish a top programme for £25 was a realistic figure for anything of quality re MU! Crying or Very sad

Looking at the recent auctions the fodder is getting cheaper but the real quality is increasing[MU wise].

The last time a decent MU collection came on the auction scene was in Luton 3 years ago, 1950's home and aways were being given away and the 1960/1970/1980/1990'S were not even offered.

Some 1946-1950 back then did ok but only the scarce issues yet 2 programmes sold for 8k each + 20 odd % commission and in my view they were both undersold.

In the main the 1950's MU Home and Aways have lurched down hill since then with some 1946-7 doing ok but the 1947-8/1948-9 & 1949-50's going no where it seems unless away at Sunderland-Middlesbrough

one or 2 rarities did well at Sportingold this week, but cream always rises to the top no matter what the hobby is.

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:17 am 
Post subject:

If some unsuspecting soul bunged up a 55/6 Barrow v Derby on EBay...watch the market go ballistic!

If said same soul put up a 55/6 Mansfield v Derby, he'd be lucky to get a couple of quid.

But it's the latter, not the former, that tells me more about the hobby - there will always be we "serious collectors" who will sell our sister/car/kidney for that ultra-rare item........but where are the up-and-coming collectors who will pay the £2 for the Mansfield issue?
Rocky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:00 am 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
In the main the 1950's MU Home and Aways have lurched down hill since then with some 1946-7 doing ok but the 1947-8/1948-9 & 1949-50's going no where it seems unless away at Sunderland-Middlesbrough

As Leslie mentioned Boro v Man Utd do raise some good prices as can be seen from these on Ebay last year.

Similar prices have been attained this year also. Is there any wonder I have gaps in my collection Crying or Very sad
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:26 am 
Post subject:

I'm a bit skint at the moment (no change there then!! Laughing ), but the real good stuff that I'd be interested in isn't about all that often anyway probably for the best!). The real gold nuggets are like buses, you could wait years then several all come together LOL. Even though I'm not buying, it would be nice to see the odd 1920's Palace home surface every now and then just to know the hobby is still alive and kicking!
Rocon17

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:02 am 
Post subject:

Quote:
I'll vote in your poll - but I think a far more telling question would be "what is the average age of a serious programme collector in 2016?"
How many of the regulars on here, for instance, won't ever see their 40th birthday again?

Good point Derby1884. I'm sure you are right. I do know some youngsters (age 12-17) that have taken up the hobby. The pattern for some collectors seems to be that, if you were interested in programmes your youth you might put them in the loft when family/kids/career keeps you busy, then rediscover the bug in later years when you have a bit more time and (hopefully) a bit of spare money.

Quote:

Point taken Auchinleckian. It is not why we collect but it is a topic that is worth discussing.
CHRIS GIBBS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:43 am 
Post subject:

Down here in the Portsmouth area we find that at our programme fairs (next one on Nov 27) we have older collecters. We have tried many different ways to get younger collectors involved in the hobby. We used to give away free bundles of programmes to any children that came along to the fairs, but if we gave out 10 bundles we were doing well. The surplus that we have current season goes to our football in the community study centre and they get given to the children that attend their different courses that they run.
Most pompey collectors have either been doing it all their lives of have come back into the hobby after a break for family reasons. I don't think there is an easy answer, one might be thinner programmes as one of the main reasons for people leaving the hobby is the space needed to store programmes.
I attend local non league games but will only buy one programme a season from each club now due to the space problem. Chris Gibbs.
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:28 pm 
Post subject:

Spot on Chris.....

If only the football club would take any notice

I wonder if their profit margin would change if they produced a 20 page effort compared to the present 82 pages..

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:44 pm 
Post subject:

In terms of the age of collectors, I can only speak for myself but I got into the hobby because a) I used to go regularly (as it was more affordable back then) b) programmes weren't that expensive so my dad could afford to buy them when we went - as well as the say programme from the week before c) even big match programmes were affordable (to a bit of sparkle to a collection) and d) they weren't the size of a paperback book and so could be stored without any hassle from Mum for an untidy bedroom.

I'm not surprised that kids don't collect now - I know when I take my kids, they have to ask for a programme before I'll buy as they are a massive pain to store and a large sum of money that has not much more genuine content than the 8 page Villa programmes of the 50's and 60's.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:07 pm 
Post subject:

Programme collecting, by its very nature, requires the collector to have a focus on the past. Be that the recent past or the distant past or, indeed, the far distant past.

But.

In these days of fast-moving social media, demands of instant success, ever-changing club shirts etc everything is geared towards the present and immediate future. One can hardly blame kids for buying into that when it's "in their faces" 24/7.

Programme collecting also requires more than a modicum of patience. My guess is a lot of us on here started out when I did - the early 1970s. I didn't consciously think I'd still be "at it" 40+ years later.

Bac kin the early 70s, there wasn't the TV coverage, no internet, so the only way I could see grounds such as Boothferry Park (wow - look at that terracing!), Roots Hall (I still recall that photo in the programme which depicted a dark, foreboding terracing more reminiscent of a George Romero movie set) or, indeed, a couple of dozen others was to eagerly await Steve Earl's monthly catalogue.

Now? I just don't think there's that innate curiosity amongst young fans any longer. Blame the Premier League, blame Sky, blame whoever you want.

As one 17 year old lad said to me last year when I was discussing my collection with him - "what's the point?"
I struggled to answer.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: