Football Programmes Centre

'Get Shirty'
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
'Get Shirty'
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:43 pm 
Post subject:

SeasideMark wrote:
The Damned United wasn't bad Jim. I agree Yesterday's Hero was rubbish though - and WSC. That 70s drama with Dennis Waterman about West Auckland winning the 'World Cup' was alright too (the name of it escapes me).

Yes Mark, 2 great films which I'd forgotten bout!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

"A Captain's Tail" was the name of the 2nd one. Smile
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:57 pm 
Post subject:

The TV drama featuring Denise Waterman about West Auckland winning the World Cup which Seaside Mark refers to, wasn't it called 'The World Cup. The captain's Tale' or something to that effect?? I think it was on around the early 1980's
Five and In

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:05 pm 
Post subject: 'Get Shirty'

I agree that The Damned United was a good film apart from the player "lookalikes" which were a bit iffy.

More about the fans than the game itself, The Shouting Men was an amusing film in places, and a bit close to the line in others.
A group of Gillingham supporters (all with issues) travel to Newcastle for a Cup match. We have all been on coaches with fans like these, I'm sure.

I picked it up in a bargain bucket a year or so ago and it was well worth my pound!!

Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:24 pm 
Post subject:

I really enjoyed the documentary.

The female designer had been interviewed on H&J on Talksport earlier that day and she sounded a lovely person.

She wasn't a football fan and seemed oblivious then on the significance of it all from a fan perspective and now, from a nostalgia perspective. 'I was just a designer and they asked me to produce a football shirt one'.

Whilst I know it wasn't part of some business degree module, I would have liked a bit more about how the finances went wrong.

Overall, I suppose it was a simple case of holding too much stock in too many factories and paying out too much in wages as sales / income dropped as one by one, their competitors got their acts together and took away their contracts with the clubs and then England.

There was also the issue of manufacturing shifting to Asia where costs would have been dramatically lower than in the East Midlands.

Nonetheless, it was quite a shocking fact that in the space of 2-3 years, about 40 companies in the clothing / lingerie / hosiery sector went out of business in and around Leicester alone.

The management at Admiral were probably also on such a roller-coaster in those years that they didn't have time or experience to take a step back and do some forward planning, either operationally or financially.

At one point, it seems, the bank or banks quite simply called in their loans and that was that.

PS I loved it when one of the senior guys said that in their early days when they were soley a lingerie / bra manufacturer, when they were producing the nuns knickers with flaps front and back, 'I couldn't watch'.

No missus, as Frankie Howard might have said.
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:56 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
I always liked the York City kits from the 70s with the massive "Y" on the front mate.

Funny thing is, I never really liked the shirt even though it was distinctive. Probably disliked it because back in the day the common reference was to Y fronts underpants.

City wore maroon shirts with the white Y for two seasons from 74/75, the reverse coloured shirt being used for away games. The next two seasons saw the white shirt became the home shirt, and with an Admiral logo which had never been there before.....and the maroon shirt was dispensed with altogether.

It always looked to me even back then that City hadn't actually got any deal with Admiral, they had just got hold of a few dozen of the Admiral emblems and sewed one on to make each shirt look hip and cool ....as we slid through the divisions. Shirts like pants, and performances to match !
NWM Football

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:26 pm 
Post subject:

Mark, the excellent Dennis Waterman/West Auckland programme was "A Captain's Tale" and it was indeed first shown in 1982, in the run up to the World Cup in Spain. I have on it VHS (haven't watched it for a few years, so must dig it out at some point), to my knowledge it has never been released on DVD.

Anyway, must dash, got some stock to sort out for some programme fair I'm doing at the weekend !!!
Visit http://nwmfootball.com/ for programmes, books, DVDs, shirts & sportswear and other football collectables. Click here http://nwmfootball.com/nwm-diary/ to see which Programme Fairs and Antiques & Collectors' Fairs we will be attending.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:02 pm 
Post subject:

Football grounds in movies?

Here's a couple to test your powers of memory.

a) which 60s movie features a (brief) shot of Doncaster Rovers' Belle Vue ground?

b) which 60s movie shows not one but two London grounds?

c) which 60s movie has a key scene shot on the terracing of a Leyton Orient home game?

No prizes!
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:26 pm 
Post subject:

Question C - About the great train robbery - ROBBERY
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:49 pm 
Post subject:

Jim LFC wrote:
Question C - About the great train robbery - ROBBERY

Correct.
Lot of debate about whether or not Swindon were the opposition that day.
Hard to tell from the footage even though it is very detailed.

See what you think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkpg1sIq8G4
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: