Football Programmes Centre

Manchester United The Cliff 1956
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Manchester United The Cliff 1956

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hydemaine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:08 pm 
Post subject: Manchester United The Cliff 1956

I believe this may have been the last competitive match played at The Cliff.

The advice given at the bottom of the programme about holding up to the light did that have something to do with the position of the floodlights at the Cliff? Were they at pitch level as has been mentioned to me? If so how did that work at illuminating the pitch?
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:06 pm 
Post subject: Re: Manchester United The Cliff 1956

hydemaine wrote:
I believe this may have been the last competitive match played at The Cliff.

The advice given at the bottom of the programme about holding up to the light did that have something to do with the position of the floodlights at the Cliff? Were they at pitch level as has been mentioned to me? If so how did that work at illuminating the pitch?

Here is the answer to your question in some of the original press photographs shown on this link, along with some other memorable images including Matt Busby himself playing in a match and some other programmes from the 1950-1970's for matches played at the Cliff Grounds.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjvxNyHf

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!

Last edited by manchesterunitedman1 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
hydemaine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:40 am 
Post subject:

Thanks for the link.

Really interesting to see the Photographs of the Cliff with the lights on.
overlap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:02 pm 
Post subject:

I remember seeing a game at the Cliff in the late 1980s...Man Utd A team v Rochdale reserves. All i remember is that Derek Parlane was playing for Dale.
Not sure if that would be classed as a competitive match, maybe it was a Lancashire or Greater Manchester leage?
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:48 pm 
Post subject:

overlap wrote:
I remember seeing a game at the Cliff in the late 1980s...Man Utd A team v Rochdale reserves. All i remember is that Derek Parlane was playing for Dale.
Not sure if that would be classed as a competitive match, maybe it was a Lancashire or Greater Manchester leage?

I suspect that would be in the Lancashire League Division 2, Manchester League United dropped out in the mid 1950's for some reason or other it seems according to the fixtures.
Did they issue anything on the day do you recall?, would imagine back then they did not charge to come in-surely?[!].

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
cornwallwhite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:14 pm 
Post subject:

Played at the cliff , 1976 ish against what then was man utd kids team , Barrhill. if my memory serves me correctly. remember the changing rooms had the first team names on the pegs . bryan robson, stapleton names i remember on the pegs , think atkinson was manager of utd then. :)
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:04 am 
Post subject:

cornwallwhite wrote:
Played at the cliff , 1976 ish against what then was man utd kids team , Barrhill. if my memory serves me correctly. remember the changing rooms had the first team names on the pegs . bryan robson, stapleton names i remember on the pegs , think atkinson was manager of utd then. Smile

Manager in 1976 was Tommy Docherty, then it was Dave Sexton in 1977 to 1981 then Big Fat Ron June 1981-November 1986, thereafter Alex Ferguson and the rest as they say is history....

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:08 am 
Post subject:

cornwallwhite wrote:
Played at the cliff , 1976 ish against what then was man utd kids team , Barrhill. if my memory serves me correctly. remember the changing rooms had the first team names on the pegs . bryan robson, stapleton names i remember on the pegs , think atkinson was manager of utd then. Smile

So if those 2 were on the pegs, as they both joined United in 1981 it would have to 81 or after - which ties in with Big Ron being there.
overlap

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:26 am 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
overlap wrote:

I suspect that would be in the Lancashire League Division 2, Manchester League United dropped out in the mid 1950's for some reason or other it seems according to the fixtures.
Did they issue anything on the day do you recall?, would imagine back then they did not charge to come in-surely?[!].

Hi Leslie, would have been 86-87 or 87-88 season, looking at Parlane's career at Rochdale.
Saturday morning kick-off so not many there!!
A team sheet was given to the sprinkling of spectators. (unfortunately i did not collect then, so long gone).
it was free admission as you thought.

It was a flying visit from the north east to visit an ex-girlfriend studying at Salford College of Technology.
It was an interesting weekend as we went to a Salford pub that night and got talking to an old boy who said he was the father of John Mahoney, the former Stoke and Wales player!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: