Football Programmes Centre

1931 FA Cup Final - WBA in all their glory
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
1931 FA Cup Final - WBA in all their glory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:34 pm 
Post subject: 1931 FA Cup Final - WBA in all their glory

I picked up these 3 original press photos today, probably the best I've had and also the earliest I've had from a Cup Final. Not cheap but there you are, worth taking a risk on as they are so good.

West Bromwich Albion 2, Birmingham City 1.

All original, yellowing, stamped, labelled (although the labels themselves are tatty which given they are 85 years old isn't a surprise).

1. WBA take the pitch - they obviously walked through a gate back then and as for that mesh fence - pure class! Skipper Glidden leads the way.

2. WBA descending the famous steps with the trophy. I can see one bare head in the crowd - and a couple of young ladies!

3. WBA skipper Tommy Glidden clings on to the silverware. A Geordie by birth, as a right winger he scored 135 goals for Albion in 445 games and there is now a Suite in his honour at the Hawthorns.

If anyone has any interest in acquiring all or one of these superb photos, please email me. But I can advise that cheap, they ain't!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:49 pm 
Post subject:

Wow, lovely photos Pete, a real find.

With footy memorabilia, I normally adhere to the old adage ... 'where there's one there's two' ... but you'll wait a long time to find another original set of these I would imagine.

Some Baggie somewhere's going to be very happy with these mate, and you did absolutely right to watermark the buggers.
ForestMick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:00 pm 
Post subject:

Were they in an Album at Arthur Johnson's? If so, they went for a few quid!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:06 pm 
Post subject:

No!

I got them the day before that sale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
ForestMick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:13 pm 
Post subject:

Oh, they REALLY weren't cheap!!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:17 pm 
Post subject:

That lot at Johnstons went for £280. There were 23 photos in that batch, so they were just over £12 each + commission. That's plenty seeing as they were such a mixed bag.

However, I paid rather a lot more for these 3 !
ForestMick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:20 pm 
Post subject:

Ah I didn't know there were that many. Still a lot to me, as I know stuff all about values of original press photos
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:24 pm 
Post subject:

Considering they are mainly one-offs, as opposed to programmes, tickets etc, they are ludicrously cheap.

How good would that photo of Glidden look framed alongside a programme from that final?

1931 programme cost........... ££££££

Glidden photo cost........... ££
ForestMick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:38 pm 
Post subject:

suppose when you put it like that, its a fair point. However, programmes is what I know best, so I tend to stick to them. I'd be scared to stick a toe in the water and get it disastrously wrong!
NYGiants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:29 am 
Post subject:

Football photos are, in comparative terms, excellent value for money - both against other football collectables and other sports photos.

I generally prefer good quality original photography to programmes.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:08 am 
Post subject:

When you say "other sports photos", I think you mean American sports, eg baseball. I know they go for silly money, relatively speaking.

But over here in England other sports (eg golf, rugby, cricket) go for peanuts. I saw on Ebay over the weekend a cricket press photo showing Surrey's Hobbs & Sandham going out to open the innings - bidding stopped at £6.49 and didn't reach its reserve. In football terms that would be Dixie Dean and Alex James and be worth £40 or more.

With the Ryder Cup coming I listed on Ebay at the weekend 5 golf photos from the 1969 Cup featuring among others the great Lee Trevino. On that one I haven't even had one VIEW, let alone a watcher or Lord forbid - a bid!

Incidentally, the 3 WBA photos, the subject of this thread, are now all sold.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: