Football Programmes Centre

Help needed with old team photo
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Help needed with old team photo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Supermono13

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:20 pm 
Post subject: Help needed with old team photo

Hello.
Can members help identify which team this could be - appears to date from the 1930s.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Apologies for the image being upside down !!!

Confused
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:55 pm 
Post subject:

Australia?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Rocky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:02 pm 
Post subject:

Don't think many forum members can do handstands so thought I'd help a little.
Thumbs Up
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:40 pm 
Post subject:

Rocky wrote:

Don't think many forum members can do handstands so thought I'd help a little.
Thumbs Up

Bury F.C.?

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Supermono13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:50 am 
Post subject:

Thank you Rocky for adjusting the photo - much appreciated.

Thank you also to Leslie. I had Bury on the original shortlist but, from the toning on the photo, I think the shorts are more likely to be black than blue.
I was thinking perhaps Derby County but was hoping that the stripes on the stand in the background might give a clue.

Pete - surely ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ Smile
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:53 am 
Post subject:

Supermono13 wrote:
Thank you Rocky for adjusting the photo - much appreciated.

Thank you also to Leslie. I had Bury on the original shortlist but, from the toning on the photo, I think the shorts are more likely to be black than blue.
I was thinking perhaps Derby County but was hoping that the stripes on the stand in the background might give a clue.

Pete - surely ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ Smile

It was the stand for me that made me consider Bury-i have much earlier photos of Bury but nothing from the 1930's-sorry the best i can come up with-looks like Gigg Lane!

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
Supermono13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:28 am 
Post subject:

Leslie (or anyone)

Stockport County has potential.

Do you have any images of Edgeley Park from pre-war that could give further clues.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mono
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:41 am 
Post subject:

Supermono13 wrote:
Leslie (or anyone)

Stockport County has potential.

Do you have any images of Edgeley Park from pre-war that could give further clues.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mono

Sorry but i cannot assist further but i do think Stockport may have some credence down to the old stand-did look like Gigg Lane tho-maybe that was the style at that time? Wave

nutfield priory

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:00 pm 
Post subject:

I have a few Crystal Palace team group photos from the 1930's which have the same background as the photo illustrated above.

The ground shown is of Fellows Park, Walsall. The photo I would imagine was taken by Wilkes as were the Palace photos I have.

Sadly I am unable to recognise the team but suggest it was taken from the 1937/38 or 1938/39 season when Walsall played in the Third Division South.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:19 pm 
Post subject:

Based on what my friend Nutfield has come up with, I'd put my money on Torquay United, or maybe Southampton, post-war.

The chap front row, 3rd left looks like Eric Webber, who played for Torquay in the early 50's. That photo could easily be taken then and Torquay wore that kit until 1954 when Webber was still there.

Alternatively, it could be Southampton in an away kit, 1940's, where Webber played before going to Torquay. This is Saints in 1946

Webber is front row, far right in that line-up. Maybe someone could confirm if Ted Bates is in the original photo? He's front row, 2nd left in the Saints pic.
soccerhistorian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:33 pm 
Post subject:

I would agree this is a classic Albert Wilkes photo taken at Fellows Park. Probably mid to late 1930s. You could try contacting Colorsport (http://www.colorsport.co.uk/) who have the image rights to the Albert Wilkes Collection. There are a small number of pictures on their website from memory, but many more held by them on the original glass plates and they may be able to match it for you.
amazorblade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:01 am 
Post subject:

Pretty sure it not southampton

Im not convinced re Eric Webber - he was defender and generally these photos had the forwards in the front - Also I have no picture of him with similar hair colour etc.
I do not recognise any other "saints" players from the photo either.
Five and In

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:01 am 
Post subject: Help needed with old team photo

Here's a bit of a long shot.
Could the goalkeeper be Harry Morton who played for Everton 1937-39?
Everton's change kit those years were White shirts and black shorts, so that ties in.
I cannot find a better picture of Morton unfortunately.

mark01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:19 pm 
Post subject:

Port Vale or Torquay for me

regards, Mark
DonQuixote

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:48 pm 
Post subject:

I'm going for Gateshead - November 1937....
Supermono13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:51 pm 
Post subject:

Firstly thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread - the forum at it's best.

I have cross referenced all the suggestions with the historical kit sites and, in the absence of any follow up support for my original suggestion of Derby County, it was looking like Stockport County (circa 1933/34) might be the one.

However DonQuixote's suggestion of Gateshead might be the answer I am searching for.

A bit more research to be done but thank you everyone.

Mono
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:58 am 
Post subject:

Can advise that Walsall played Gateshead only in these seasons (in Div III North)

31/2
32/3
33/4
34/5

and then in Div IV

58/9
59/60

So if it's Gateshead, which it might be, it's not at Walsall in November 1937.
DonQuixote

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:52 am 
Post subject:

27.11.37 Walsall 4-0 Gateshead - FAC1
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:23 am 
Post subject:

Good work, Don.

The 11v11 site which I use all the time doesn't list this cup game under Walsall v Gateshead but has it as v Gateshead AFC
so didn't show it when I searched for it.

Sherlock [/b]
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: