Football Programmes Centre

Portsmouth & Man City share same programme 1924-5
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Portsmouth & Man City share same programme 1924-5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:29 pm 
Post subject: Portsmouth & Man City share same programme 1924-5

There are quite a few Manchester City and Portsmouth collectors on the Forum, so here is a "Double Header" Manchester United programme from season 1924-1925 when they both visited United over a 4 days period.

https://flic.kr/p/L2itgA
https://flic.kr/p/LYwW5k
https://flic.kr/p/L2ittj
https://flic.kr/p/LYwWjZ

Interesting that they felt the need to make it a double programme but other than the team sheet for the game versus Manchester City there is not one single word in the programme re City as United were the holders and City were beaten finalists the previous year, there is just a notificition about the forthcoming Manchester Cup Tie[and there would be even less the weeks to come-after the result was known!]

2-2 draw at United and City squeezed thru in the replay 7-4!
Laughing

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
slightfold

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:53 pm 
Post subject:

We all have our own parameters and definitions. Personally I would not actually call this a 'double header' as the game with Man. City was by the reserves?
There are a few League games where a the home team has successive games a few days apart or even next day (in the past) and occasionally we find one programme for both games involving the first team. It is these I would call 'double headers', and if this were the case in my collection accordance with my own version of the 'madness' I would need 2 copies!!
beaudog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:27 pm 
Post subject: Portsmouth & Man city share same programme 1924-25

I remember a short time ago I had two Wrexham programmes for two home matches 24 hours apart and the second one had the result of the first in it. I think it was about 1963 and a result of the big freeze. It reminded me how much I looked forward to the Christmas games, often played on successive days or 48 hours apart, when the same fixture was repeated home and away. This also happened at Easter time. Often a local derby was highlighted.
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:46 pm 
Post subject:

I would guess this "double header" was common to Aston villa

!949.50 sheff wed Res & Portsmouth.

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:19 pm 
Post subject:

slightfold wrote:
We all have our own parameters and definitions. Personally I would not actually call this a 'double header' as the game with Man. City was by the reserves?
There are a few League games where a the home team has successive games a few days apart or even next day (in the past) and occasionally we find one programme for both games involving the first team. It is these I would call 'double headers', and if this were the case in my collection accordance with my own version of the 'madness' I would need 2 copies!!

The match was a United first team game v Manchester City only the club were charging "Central League" prices to get people thru the gates. In those days the Manchester Senior Cup was an elite competition and a mixture of 6 1st team experienced players and some 5 younger less experienced were all part of that team. Mew in goal was an England keeper.

It is a programme that covers 2 different games in 2 different competitions on 2 different dates, therefore IRRESPECTIVE of the competitions it is a double header in my view. United always produced a programme for all Central League, Lancashire Senior Cup, Manchester Senior Cup ties-but these 2 were scheduled so close to each other the club decided on including both within the one programme.

If it was against Manchester City RESERVES it would have stated that fact

Such was the importance of the Manchester Senior Cup Competition it was considered important enough to be photographed in 1908 alongside the First Division Championship and the Charity Shield.

In later years the competition was used for the reserve sides but this was not for another 30 odd years...https://flic.kr/p/bwZCvf even the Welsh Wizard included the winning of the Manchester Cup important enough to go on his give away postcards showing off his trophies and caps....
https://flic.kr/p/9QDR2d

As you say we all have a different view sometimes whilst collecting various items so i hope you can see my point of view but if you are dissatisfied with my reply i suggest you contact the forum programme Police for their input-oops! forgot they were both banned 3 times each and one of them masqueraded as a woman Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
slightfold

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 pm 
Post subject:

Leslie, I am sorry if my opinion does not chime with yours! It is a forum and we are all entitled to our viewpoint. and I stand by mine. After viewing your programme I saw that the United teams were completely different which lead me to conclude that it must have been a reserve team in the Manchester Cup. Of course I would never have realised in a month of Sundays it was another of United's first teams! I reiterate that for me a 'double header' is when the same team plays both matches.
Perhaps I am missing the point, but what the hell has the opinion of banned members got to do with this eh?
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:38 pm 
Post subject:

slightfold wrote:
Leslie, I am sorry if my opinion does not chime with yours! It is a forum and we are all entitled to our viewpoint. and I stand by mine. After viewing your programme I saw that the United teams were completely different which lead me to conclude that it must have been a reserve team in the Manchester Cup. Of course I would never have realised in a month of Sundays it was another of United's first teams! I reiterate that for me a 'double header' is when the same team plays both matches.
Perhaps I am missing the point, but what the hell has the opinion of banned members got to do with this eh?

Of course as i have said in my reply to you we all have different views.

Re the Toxic Twins did you not spot the 4 Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ?

The point being that they would have intervened with some drivel or nastiness as was their mode de employ it was therefore an attempt at lightening the mood.

United's team for that game was mixed up with youth and experience, but as I have a number of 1st and 2nd team games in programmes such as this it is simply a term to use because there are more than 2, i even have something with 3 games in.

What about this one it is a league match and a friendly https://flic.kr/p/vge11W -another double header unless the friendly does not count as the printed teams were not quite the same and then there were team changes-what i can tell you is that this week Sportingold has a 1920's home United programme against one team with an astonishing estimate of over £1200[price fixed by the vendor not the Auction house] if it gets a buyer at that level then i wonder what a similar programme with more than one game be worth? irrespective of it being a first team game or reserve side.

Anyway not too worry too much-being able to share a forum and views and have friendly conversations even if the views expressed differ is far better than vitriolic 3rd parties entering and becoming involved.

I may just be looking to cash some in at this level Clap

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:44 pm 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
[

What about this one it is a league match and a friendly https://flic.kr/p/vge11W

Whoever originally owned this programme didn't quite understand the rules of the competition he tried to enter!
And I bet there weren't many pens with gold-coloured ink back then.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:21 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
[

What about this one it is a league match and a friendly https://flic.kr/p/vge11W

Whoever originally owned this programme didn't quite understand the rules of the competition he tried to enter!
And I bet there weren't many pens with gold-coloured ink back then.

It is not Gold but some faded colour like a "Salmon", as i recall there was "Quink" amongst others branded inks in Black-Blue-Green-Red-Brown in Pre-War times-i am not an inkman just a manchesterunitedman
Laughing
Anyway whoever made the annotations they did it with a fountain pen as you can see it is written with a nib but ur correct they made a hash of the coupon-perhaps that is why it was not cut out and sent-realising the mistake?-glad they left it! Wave

Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:10 am 
Post subject:

That Celtic/Palace one is a corker Leslie Easy
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:07 pm 
Post subject:

Is that the first time United ever played Celtic, Leslie?
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:27 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Is that the first time United ever played Celtic, Leslie?

No

Christmas Day 1914 was the other time in a friendly at Old Trafford, MU won 2-1.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: