Football Programmes Centre

Rusty Staples or No Staples
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rusty Staples or No Staples

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crusader66

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:55 pm 
Post subject: Rusty Staples or No Staples

What's the expert consensus on whether removing staples deteriorates value?
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:41 pm 
Post subject:

i'd be more worried if the staples deteriorates the paper. Laughing
Most rust has occurred due to poor storage. Once in the hands of a collector , in theory it shouldn't deteriorate any further as you would expect the programme to be stored correctly. So may as well leave the staple attached. I assume you meant remove the staples to prevent rusting ?
NWM Football

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:43 pm 
Post subject:

It's the big bug-bear of old programmes, but if the staples are that poor that it's necessary to remove them, then I would have no hesitation in doing so.

I picked up a bundle of 1930's Arsenal homes for stock recently, a couple of them had staples which were very poor, so I have removed them (listed as 'r/s rem' on my website). Also have a couple of late 40's/early 50's F.A. Cup Finals in stock where staples have been removed too.

In my opinion, if removing very poor staples would help prevent deterioration of the programme, then the programme is better off without them.
Visit http://nwmfootball.com/ for programmes, books, DVDs, shirts & sportswear and other football collectables. Click here http://nwmfootball.com/nwm-diary/ to see which Programme Fairs and Antiques & Collectors' Fairs we will be attending.
hibernian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:11 pm 
Post subject:

NWM Football wrote:
It's the big bug-bear of old programmes, but if the staples are that poor that it's necessary to remove them, then I would have no hesitation in doing so.

I picked up a bundle of 1930's Arsenal homes for stock recently, a couple of them had staples which were very poor, so I have removed them (listed as 'r/s rem' on my website). Also have a couple of late 40's/early 50's F.A. Cup Finals in stock where staples have been removed too.

In my opinion, if removing very poor staples would help prevent deterioration of the programme, then the programme is better off without them.

Absolutely agree. I have no problem with removing them and in my opinion does not detract the programme.
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:25 pm 
Post subject:

I'd rather have an old programme held together with a rusty staple than have mint pages but no staple. Really annoys me all the pages being loose and unconnected

Probably in the minority
Footyfan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:37 pm 
Post subject: STAPLES

A founding member of the now defunct British Programme Club (Hull based) advocated removing staples from programmes.

There is an article on the subject by the BPC by the late Norman Lovett in a Soccer Review mag dated from the 1960s.

I have some programmes in my collecton where the staples have been replaced with cotton (i.e. sewn through the staples holes to form a cotton staple.

When I have more time I will will dig out the article and post it as a Reference.

The Refeence is "The Programme King Abdicates" in the League Football magazine issue No 704 from 1972/73.

Last edited by Footyfan on Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:00 pm 
Post subject:

what about replacing the rusty staple with a new one?
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:29 pm 
Post subject:

I think it was suggested on this forum some time ago that replacing rusty staples was akin to renovating a piece of old furniture by putting, say, new draw runners or handles on it.

Not saying I agree, just saying !

I always attempt to remove rusty staples, although I can see the argument that says leave them in as the damage has already been done.

I was aghast a few years ago to find some slight deterioration in some staples from programmes from 30 years ago, so I replaced the staples!
NWM Football

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:26 pm 
Post subject:

It's certainly an interesting dilemma, and I can also see the argument for leaving staples alone. I also have a few progs kicking around where dead staples have been replaced by a piece of cotton.
Visit http://nwmfootball.com/ for programmes, books, DVDs, shirts & sportswear and other football collectables. Click here http://nwmfootball.com/nwm-diary/ to see which Programme Fairs and Antiques & Collectors' Fairs we will be attending.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:52 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
I'd rather have an old programme held together with a rusty staple than have mint pages but no staple. Really annoys me all the pages being loose and unconnected

Probably in the minority

That's my take on it, at the end of the day if they are rusty when you acquired the programme then its not going to get any worse if you store it correctly, which being a collector you'll do anyway.

A staple is part of the programme.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:14 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
Dorking wrote:

Probably in the minority

That's my take on it, at the end of the day if they are rusty when you acquired the programme then its not going to get any worse if you store it correctly, which being a collector you'll do anyway.

A staple is part of the programme.

I agree entirely too Thumbs Up

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: