Football Programmes Centre

Boxing Ticket for sale: Clay v Cooper 18/6/63. Advice please
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Boxing Ticket for sale: Clay v Cooper 18/6/63. Advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wdy11

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:10 pm 
Post subject: Boxing Ticket for sale: Clay v Cooper 18/6/63. Advice please

Hi All,

I have been asked to sell on a ticket for the Cassius Clay v Henry Cooper fight at Wembley on the 18th June 1963. Its a Ringside seat ticket and was Clay's last fight before he challenged Liston for the Heavyweight Title.

The ticket belonged to my wife's grandfather whom went to the fight and was sat in a frame since the 1960s. Sadly he passed a year ago and now I've been tasked to sell it on for my wife's grandmother.

I have absolutely no ideas about it's value or whether a Ringside seat ticket could be more valuable. Does anyone have any ideas or know any collectors or dealers for this kind of thing?

All help appreciated.

Chris
Five and In

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:23 pm 

Hi Chris
I have moved a fair amount of boxing pieces in recent months, mainly through Ebay and believe there would be good interest in your ticket as I know the programme for that fight regularly hits three figures.
I had a quick look and last month the ticket reached £123 and £133 on two separate auctions with plenty of bidders each time.
I've attached the link for the higher one so you can view it.
Interest in boxing memorabilia seems to be on the up at the moment, especially Clay/Ali stuff since his passing, so it could be a good time to list for you if those figures are agreeable to you.
Good luck with it. It's a really nice ticket.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cass.....7675.l2557
Five and In

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:33 pm 

Just noticed that somebody is trying to sell one for £286 on a buy it now. No takers at present.
Also, to make yours more desirable, it might be worth picking up an image from the fight and framing with the ticket prior to listing.
There are plenty available including the link I have attached which is a few quid.
Depends if you want to spend anything to make it unique from others.
Just a thought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Henr.....XQ3kNTgIPk
wdy11

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:38 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I may see if I can pick up an image from the fight and frame it, that's a top idea. Also does it make it more valuable being a ringside seat? I've no idea with boxing stuff but know they are more desirable seats when actually watching the fight.
Five and In

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:41 pm 

I'm not sure if ringside makes a difference to the value.
Hopefully somebody else will be able to confirm either way.
I agree those seats are more desirable when attending, but from personal experience, I hated being that close. All I could see properly was feet!!
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:43 pm 
Post subject:

Sold a good numebr of boxing tickets over the years and nobody ever asked for ringside etc, so assume it makes no difference. I'd certainly consider trying to minimise the creases on it prior to selling?
wdy11

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:57 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for your help guys. One of the reasons I enjoy being a part of this forum.

I may go with the frame and photo, but sure I could increase it's value if I track down Cassius Clay and get him to autograph it! Smile
Rafehod

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:09 pm 
Post subject:

wdy11 wrote:
Thanks for your help guys. One of the reasons I enjoy being a part of this forum.

I may go with the frame and photo, but sure I could increase it's value if I track down Cassius Clay and get him to autograph it! Smile

I believe you can get a cheap spade at homebase. Get My Coat
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:46 pm 
Post subject:

Very nice ticket mate.

Once the event is over, where in the ground / venue the ticket may be would have no bearing on its price as a collectible though.

Possibly the only exceptions would be director's box tickets and the like I'd guess.

Re creases, don't iron the bugger whatever you do.

I always put my creased tickets inside a thick Yellow Pages, Argos Catalogue, or something similar, and pop it under my mattress for a few days.

Me sleeping and farting on it usually gets most creases out and flattens him nicely.

Very Happy
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:37 pm 
Post subject:

Me sleeping and farting on it usually gets most creases out and flattens him nicely.

So I've heard. Wiggy. That yellow cloud that hangs over Port Talbot must be all your handy work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: