Football Programmes Centre

Programmes with staples removed
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Programmes with staples removed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob71

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:49 pm 
Post subject: Programmes with staples removed

I have come across a few programmes from the 50s and 60s that have the staples removed to prevent rusting. Does anyone think this decreases the value of the programme ? Would it put you off buying ? Interested to hear what others think.
reds4ever

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:53 pm 
Post subject:

got one with no staples will try and find it tomorow and tell u more about it
surfinjim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:11 pm 
Post subject:

Makes no odds to me. recently bought around 8 England internationals form the late 50's, all of which had the staples removed to stop the dreaded staple rust/bleed! Crying or Very sad

Jim

Bolder, Blackhall, Williamson, Smith, Pickering, Hornsby, King, Johnson, McCulloch, Mellor, Curran.

Scorers; Mellor, King, Curran, Smith (pen)

GODS EVERY ONE OF THEM!
Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:48 pm 
Post subject: Progs with staples removed.

Has long as thay are removed neatly i think it is OK ,prob can add to the value,i recieved a prog today of Ebay Football League Review removed by the looks of it with a screw driver.stupid.
Wullie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:59 pm 
Post subject:

It wouldn't make any difference to the value at all. The danger with taking them out is, of cause pages might get lost. Kept in an acid free bag, in good storage, then staples shouldn't rust.
oldbolt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:58 pm 
Post subject:

I wouldn't buy any of the common ones from the 50s or 60s without staples, the rarer ones I would but at a lower price than in the same condition with staples.
reds4ever

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:48 pm 
Post subject:

i have got a copy of feijenoord v manchester united don't know the year but it has a picture of the stadium on the front. the programme is in tatty condition with no staples
Footyfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:03 pm 
Post subject: STAPLES REMOVAL

Back in the 1960s, the late Norman Lovett, who established the Britsih Programme Club (noe defunct), recommended removing staples from programmes to prevent rusting. I have seen an article by Norman in a Football League Review magazine from the lates 1960s advising collectors to remove staples to guard against rust. I will try and locate the article if anyone is particularly interested?

This is probably the reason why you often come across older programmes with the staples removed.

I do not believe the removal of staples is detrimental in anyway to the quality anfd value of programmes.

Last edited by Footyfan on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Footyfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:03 pm 
Post subject: STAPLES REMOVAL

Any one else noticed how certain clubs have a particular problem rusty staples in programmes?

A good example is Norwich City early 1970s, just about every copy I have and have seen has rusty staples. Even now when they are listed on EBay with a photo you notice the rusty staples.

Must be something in the air in East Anglia?

Last edited by Footyfan on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kickoff3pm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:13 pm 
Post subject:

One thing nobody seems to have mentioned is that it's easy enough to find replacement stapled from common programmes of the same period, size etc.

You do have to be adapt at putting them in without damaging the area around the staple but I've done it more then once with items I've sold on ebay without any comebacks.

With my own programmes I've often thought the must be a way to create little plastic ties but never bothered with it. It wouldn't put me off buying any programme.
giorgio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:30 am 
Post subject:

I wouldn't buy a programme that had it's staples removed unless they have been retained.
Gradjanski

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:43 pm 
Post subject:

All the old programmes I have are without staples. Thanks to that, there's no rust marks, so the value of those items has increased.
1980Cossie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:20 pm 
Post subject:

I would say that if a programme had a rusty staple but no rust marks why not remove it? if you were selling it, this would increase its value if it was described as good/very good condition - staple removed, rather than selling it as good/very good condition but has rusty staple,
OldburyWBA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:50 pm 
Post subject:

Makes no difference to me. I don't think it devalues a programme at all either if the programme is still complete.

Baggies programmes from the 50's are some of the worst I have ever come across for rusty staples.
surfinjim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:05 pm 
Post subject:

OldburyWBA wrote:
Makes no difference to me. I don't think it devalues a programme at all either if the programme is still complete.

Baggies programmes from the 50's are some of the worst I have ever come across for rusty staples.

I'd rate them as some of the worst, together with both Sheffield clubs (Sheffield steel as well for the staples!!!!), and Man Utd. All really poor if left in the wrong conditions.

Jim

Bolder, Blackhall, Williamson, Smith, Pickering, Hornsby, King, Johnson, McCulloch, Mellor, Curran.

Scorers; Mellor, King, Curran, Smith (pen)

GODS EVERY ONE OF THEM!
Kickoff3pm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:46 pm 
Post subject:

OldburyWBA wrote:

Yes thats really odd concidering the Albion programmes must be the highest sold above sea level Smile

Perhaps it's the shelter factor, perhaps fans used to get rained on more in the Brumie Rd.
Piebald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:28 pm 
Post subject:

Think the answer to the original question depends on the club and age of prog.you collect.
Ideally a prog. should have good staples but for example 1950s Notts.Co. progs usually have rusty staples,quite often virtually rusted away.So a lot of my progs. from this era are affected.Ive kept the staples as they were when acquired and not removed them,keeping each prog. in an acid-free wallet.
Keeping looking for replacements for the worst affected but its difficult to find them!!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: