Football Programmes Centre

Sutton United club shop
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sutton United club shop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CHRIS GIBBS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:14 pm 
Post subject: Sutton United club shop

I went to Sutton United yesterday for their pre season friendly with Portsmouth. It's a long time since I have been there but all pompey fans were made most welcome. They had a great club shop which I and fellow Pompey memorabilia collectors spent time in, looking through the boxes of programmes and other items.
This is something you miss when travelling around the 92 'big' clubs grounds, a good club shop. Well done to all involved at the shop. Make sure you call in if going to the ground.
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:38 pm 
Post subject:

How is the ground looking these days Chris?
CHRIS GIBBS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:49 pm 
Post subject: Sutton United club shop

If you mean Sutton's, I don't know if you have been there, but the all weather pitch must be doing well for them as there was a game of walking football on it before our game and Sutton Common Rovers had a friendly on it in the evening. Other wise the ground was ok and will be fine for their season in the National League.
If you mean how is Fratton Park, that is much the same as it has been for the past few seasons.
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:02 pm 
Post subject: Re: Sutton United club shop

CHRIS GIBBS wrote:
If you mean Sutton's, I don't know if you have been there, but the all weather pitch must be doing well for them as there was a game of walking football on it before our game and Sutton Common Rovers had a friendly on it in the evening. Other wise the ground was ok and will be fine for their season in the National League.
If you mean how is Fratton Park, that is much the same as it has been for the past few seasons.

Meant Sutton but interested too in Fratton, now one of the few grounds with an Archibald Leitch stand left in it?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:48 pm 
Post subject:

now one of the few grounds with an Archibald Leitch stand left in it?

Not forgetting Selhurst Park............
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:02 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
now one of the few grounds with an Archibald Leitch stand left in it?

Not forgetting Selhurst Park............

Indeed, Pete.

Simon Inglis' book, Engineering Archie includes all his grounds / stands and is a wonderful book.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:04 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, a wonderful book and invaluable to me as I attempt to place an old photo with all helpful details missing from the back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
NWM Football

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:30 pm 
Post subject:

"Engineering Archie" is a truly amazing (and now exceptionally hard to find) book. I've also got Simon Inglis' centenary history of Villa Park (I still can't understand how Aston Villa got away with demolishing the beautiful Trinity Road stand, quite possibly the worst act of architectural vandalism we've seen in the last twenty years), and all three versions of his Football Grounds of Great Britain books, the 1983 England & Wales original, 1987 revision, and 1996 new edition. Perhaps it is time for a further volume. (Also have the 1983 - two copies available - and 1996 editions for sale should anybody require them)

Sadly, one of Leitch's other remaining structures in London is now starting to come down. Although strictly speaking it's only the outer wall and lower tier which remain from the 1934 structure anyway, the north end of the East Stand at Tottenham has started to be demolished. Capacity at White Hart Lane is approx. 4,000 less for the coming season. The North East corner has had to come down to enable essential foundation works for the new stadium to be carried out.

At least the Stevenage Road stand and the Cottage at Fulham are currently very unlikely to ever be taken down, long may it stay that way. And while I understand why they have a pressing need of a new stadium, I sincerely hope Everton never leave Goodison Park, where two AL stands still exist.

Trust everyone down at the shop at Sutton are well. Used to exchange with them regularly when I was involved with Hayes.
Visit http://nwmfootball.com/ for programmes, books, DVDs, shirts & sportswear and other football collectables. Click here http://nwmfootball.com/nwm-diary/ to see which Programme Fairs and Antiques & Collectors' Fairs we will be attending.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:08 pm 
Post subject:

Just to say this thread now appears on a Sutton Utd fan's Twitter feed

https://twitter.com/Gandermonium

Gandermonium is the chap's name, you may have to scroll down a bit, he's fairly prolific!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: