Football Programmes Centre

June 2016
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
June 2016

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:28 am 
Post subject: June 2016

Just after the war, and for the 2nd year running, Blackpool undertook a tour to Sweden and Denmark.

This time they played 5 matches, 3 against Danish opposition and 2 against Swedish opposition.

For the match on 1st June 1948 they played IFK Gothenberg drawing 2-2.

The match was played at the old Gamla Ullevi stadium which was demolished in 2007 and rebuilt keeping the same name.

Programmes were issued for all 5 matches and this is an 8 page issue.

stanwick1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:55 pm 
Post subject:

June 1st 1940 Leeds United/Hull C 4 page programme.

Score 3-1. Attendance 500 according to LU complete record.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:01 pm 
Post subject:

58 years ago and the penultimate match of the Australian leg of Blackpool’s 1958 tour saw them make the trek across to Perth where they played Western Australia.

The match was played at the Western Australia Cricket Association (WACA) Ground which has hosted many famous test matches, and throughout its history has also been used for athletics, Australian Rules Football, Rugby League, Rugby Union, baseball and rock concerts. In 1973 the Rolling Stones played there.

There is also a fine cricket museum next to the ground.

A 40 page programme was produced, possibly the best of the tour.

Blackpool went on to win the match 2-0.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:28 am 
Post subject:

3rd June 1989

Football League, Division II - Play Off Final, 2nd leg

Att: 30,000

Crystal Palace 3 (Wright 2, Madden pen), Blackburn Rovers 0

After extra time - (agg 3:3 after 90 mins) - Palace won 4:3 on aggregate

As I mentioned on 31st May, I missed this game as it was so late it clashed with the 6th match of our league cricket season. We drew the game, I bowled 8 overs without taking a wicket, and rounded it off by getting a duck. I think my mind was elsewhere.

As for Palace, a thrilling match dominated by the mercurial Ian Wright whose 2 goals took his total for the season to 33 in all competitions. Mark Bright scored 25. Some pairing! After the 3:1 loss at Ewood a few days earlier, perhaps the pivotal moment came when Dave Madden coolly slotted home a second half penalty, which brought the teams level at 3:3 and that's how it remained till extra time.

Some action here: top - Madden chases Ian Miller; middle - a melee at the Palace end; bottom - John Pemberton and Simon Garner.

I'd like to mention Dave Madden at this point. He was a top player, hard as nails, time to spare when on the ball and an excellent passer. Within 2 years of this game he'd had to retire, aged 28, with just 78 career games under his belt (27 for Palace). Dodgy knees. Such a shame.

And that concludes my contributions for the 2015/6 season. Thank you for reading.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:39 am 
Post subject:

3rd June 1971

Fairs Cup Final 2nd Leg

Leeds United 1 Juventus 1

Att. 42,483

After a 2-2 daw in Turin this 1-1 draw at home was enough to give Leeds the trophy on the away goals rule - Allan Clarke the Leeds scorer with Anastasi getting an equaliser for Juventus

stanwick1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:06 pm 
Post subject:

A couple of Leeds reserve programmes for games played in june due to postponements because of the 1947 winter.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:15 pm 
Post subject:

Blackpool certainly did some touring in the 1940s and 1950s.

This time in 1951 they popped over to Switzerland for 4 games.

This match was against a combined Servette (Geneva) and Grasshoppers (Zurich) X1, a game which Blackpool won 4-0.

The programme is an 8 page issue and also covered a Swiss B League game between Urania Genève Sport (UGS) and Berne played earlier that same afternoon.

This is another of the virtually impossible to find foreign tour programmes.

I did manage to obtain a full photocopy about 30 years ago but have never seen another since.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:45 am 
Post subject:

Looks like everyone was out and about in the nice weather this weekend as no programmes were posted.

Here is one from 2009 and a World Cup qualifying match between Kazakhstan and England.

England won 4-0 with goals from Barry, Heskey, Rooney and a Lampard penalty.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:40 pm 
Post subject:

54 years ago, Vancouver, Canada

A 2-2 draw for the Blades.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:31 am 
Post subject:

Blimey - quiet round these parts...

A programme from this day in history, for a game that was never played.

Rhodes vs Menorca in the Island Games, 28/06/11

This was Rhodes' final group match, but they were flung out of the competition after three sendings off (and various other infractions) in their first two games. Menorca were awarded a 3-0 victory and the below programme was never issued.

For some, the 2011 Island Games was a programme collector's (and Groundhopper's) paradise. 49 matches over six days at nine different venues on the Isle of Wight. Some matches drew 1000+ crowds, some barely made it to the fifty mark. For 'lesser' matches as few as two dozen programmes were printed, making them super-hard to find (with photocopies being hastily done on occasions to satisfy collectors). Some of these are now surfacing on ebay, but below is a complete set of 49 original programmes. Rarest of the lot is the Rhodes v Menorca programme shown above.

Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:00 pm 
Post subject:

yachtsmun, do you have any spares from the Gibraltar (mens) games? if not would you be able to provide photocopies? I do have one, can't quite remember which one though!
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:16 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
yachtsmun, do you have any spares from the Gibraltar (mens) games? if not would you be able to provide photocopies? I do have one, can't quite remember which one though!

Hi - pretty sure I can help with most (if not all) originals for Gibraltar - I can check later this evening. Is it just men's team (4 progs) you're after, or would you be interested in women's team (3 progs) as well?
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:33 pm 
Post subject:

That would be great, just the mens, I don't want to expand the collection any further!
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:02 pm 
Post subject:

I have the play-off match against Saaremaa
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:29 pm 
Post subject:

Yep, got all three group games for you - PM coming shortly...
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:15 am 
Post subject:

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: