Football Programmes Centre

Ian Hands
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ian Hands
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westwardprogs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:03 pm 
Post subject:

As a relatively new dealer, I always found Ian to be very friendly and helpful.
The news has come as a great shock.
This kindly man will be sorely missed by all who came into contact with him.
RIP

Last edited by Westwardprogs on Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maidonian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:13 pm 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:

I am so sad to hear this news-the hobby has lost a great guy who will not be replaced.

What a dreadful shock and Leslie's comment says it all.

I first met Ian in the Horsham FC Club Shop in September 1977 when Maidenhead visited Queen Street and he was incredibly helpful and extremely kind every time I dealt with him over the years. RIP
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:17 pm 
Post subject:

I did not know Ian although I recognise him from the photo in the newspaper link above.

Indeed, this is very sad news.

RIP.
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:28 pm 
Post subject:

Very sad news and a great loss to the hobby. Met Ian on many occasions and can honestly say a large percentage of my collection passed through his hands. I know the quote "He was a true gentleman" is thrown out like confetti these days.....but in Ian's case he certainly was......my thoughts go out to his family and friends at this very difficult time. RIP Ian.
bigearl79

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:36 pm 
Post subject:

Met Ian just the once when we played at Crawley in 2014. Nice guy and very knowledgeable. Good chat with him pre match. A dying breed that is now one less.
mgmbarside

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:53 pm 
Post subject:

my god this is horrible , knew him well from doing fairs with david stacey , marilyn my wife and myself always found him a true gent and so reminded me of my late father ,that sussex humour , really can not believe it , for once i am lost for words , our deepest and most sincere thoughts are with his family , a truly great loss to programme collecting , always loved his stories ..
michael and marilyn middleton
Posh1959

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:00 pm 
Post subject:

I can only repeat what every one else has said, Ian was the most genuine down to earth guy one could possibly meet. I cant recall the first time I met him but must have been over 30 years ago. He will be sadly missed by all in the hobby. RIP Ian
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:29 pm 
Post subject:

Very sad news.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Ian personally, but like any collector I had a number of dealings with him over the years and always found him a perfect gentleman.

RIP mate.
Flackwell Lad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:05 pm 
Post subject:

Wow!...Just woke up and saw the news, very shocked and saddened to read of Ian's passing. I bought a few nice Wycombe Wanderers pieces from him in last couple of years, and like everyone else I found him to be an honest and very helpful man, a really top bloke, he will be truly missed.

R.I.P IAN
colchestersid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:43 pm 
Post subject:

Very sad news, been buying off Ian for well over 20 years, always immaculate in his dealings and a lovely guy as well.

Last edited by colchestersid on Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
upthecounty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:38 am 
Post subject: Re: Ian Hands

I can only echeo everyone elses comments, I had the pleasure of meeting Ian on many occasions over the years mostly at the London faires. What a kind, considerate and fair man, the world of football programme collecting has certainly lost a true corner stone of our wondeful hobby.

RIP Ian
CCFC Tractor Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:35 pm 
Post subject:

I had a call from a friend of Ian's on Wednesday morning to let me know the sad news. I'm another who'd been dealing with Ian for over 20 years getting a great variety of Canterbury City items from him. Such an easy person to talk football with and I remember spending hours doing just that at Orpington, Ashford, Folkestone programme/collector's fairs.

Won an eBay item from him on Sunday and have just signed for it from the postman. Had a quiet moments reflection when opening the envelope and seeing Ian's brief note dated 31/5/16. As many have said - he will be greatly missed.
thfcbasil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:38 pm 
Post subject: Ian Hands

I have never meet Ian or bought from him but the comments made by those who have speak volumes about the honesty and integrity of the man. He sounded a genuine nice guy and another loss to the hobby. RIP
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:14 pm 
Post subject:

I have sent a link to tohis thread to Crawley Town and asked if they will be doing anything to commemorate Ian next season.

One thought is we could perhaps club together and sponsor a matchball or some such in his memory on behalf of the Forum.

Peter
Wullie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:27 pm 
Post subject:

All the bad news the last few weeks and now we lose a genuine honest gentleman. No justice in the world. RIP Ian
handsyjnr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:55 pm 
Post subject:

On behalf of my father's family ( ian Hands ).
I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and tributes, the loos of our dad has come as a massive shock as it was so sudden . We have taken great comfort in the knowledge that he was so respected in a community he had such a passion for.
We do not know the exact date of the funeral just yet but I will update the site when we know.
Crawley Town have kindly offered to host the wake.
Again I will update.
Many thanks
Steve Hands ( no2 son )
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: