Football Programmes Centre

Another mystery photo - 1930's
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Another mystery photo - 1930's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:50 pm 
Post subject: Another mystery photo - 1930's

Here we have another mystery photo and again I'd like to ask for help with identifying the 2 players shown, one of whom looks like has just joined the club. Who are these guys?

It's stamped "Keystone" but the narrative label has fallen off - all that remains is "enal" which could be the end of Arsenal - but it doesn't mean they are Arsenal players (they could be!) but it could be that the next game is against Arsenal and he's been signed in time to play. That's just speculation.

And the ground - an Archie Leitch stand behind them - and a wide area behind them - Goodison Park maybe?

Anyway, all help appreciated as always and I hope you find the investigation rewarding on this dull old Bank Holiday Monday. Thank you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:12 pm 
Post subject:

I usually look at the photo before I read your narrative, Pete, but I thought Goodison Park, too.

Those look like a couple of goalkeepers to me!
Rocky

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:41 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
I usually look at the photo before I read your narrative, Pete, but I thought Goodison Park, too.

Those look like a couple of goalkeepers to me!

They do look like goalkeepers with possibly yellow shirts? If I recall, England goalkeepers in that era were only allowed to wear yellow shirts in international games and not league games. I don't think that applied in Scotland though so, as a wild-shot, could this be Ibrox in front of another another iconic Archie Leitch stand?
wandererpaul

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:42 pm 
Post subject:

Ted Sagar was Everton's keeper for yonks!

Is one of them Ted Sagar??
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:59 pm 
Post subject:

Blimey, could be Ted Sagar

Maybe he's welcoming the bloke on the right.

As rgds the keepers woollen jerseys, they could wear any colour they wanted in training. And they could wear yellow in friendlies etc.

Cheers chaps!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Rocky

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:04 am 
Post subject:

Good shout for Ted Sagar...which blows my Ibrox theory out of the window.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:27 am 
Post subject:

Rocky - I went through the brilliant "Engineering Archie" today and Ibrox was No 2 on my list!

Just scanned it through to one of my Everton regulars - I'll let you know what he says.
Five and In

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:30 am 
Post subject: Another mystery photo - 1930's

Could the one on the left be Jimmy O' Neill, at Everton towards the end of Ted Sagar's time?

martino

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:22 am 
Post subject: Re: Another mystery photo - 1930's

Five and In wrote:
Could the one on the left be Jimmy O' Neill, at Everton towards the end of Ted Sagar's time?

I thought "man-spreading" was a recent occurrence!

Smile
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:09 pm 
Post subject:

I've been told it's definitely at Goodison and the player on the right is Jock McDonald, who until recently held the record at Everton for the most appearances without a goal. The great Tony Hibbert has overtaken him now.

The player on the left isn't Ted Sagar and so we don't know who he is as yet. The photo is on its way now though to my customer in Cheshire.

Thanks all.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: