Football Programmes Centre

May 2016
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
May 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:15 am 
Post subject:

26 years ago.

Barrow 3 (Kenny Gordon 2, Colin Cowperthwaite)
Leek Town 0

att: 21,492

Karb

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:26 am 
Post subject:

Newcastle right bac
Ruud Van Driver wrote:
This would've been half hour earlier but when I returned to my PC, Windows 10 was being automatically installed without permission! Googled it on my phone to find that this is happening worldwide, it's their aggressive way of making everyone upgrade if possible. Anyone using Windows 10? If so would you recommend upgrading?

Back to the thread...

18th May 1984

Northern Intermediate League Challenge Cup Final 2nd Leg

Newcastle Utd 1 Leeds United 2

Already leading 4-0 from the first leg Leeds secured the NIL Cup with goals from Scales & Simmonds.

We have now gotten used to winning NIL Cups!! Sad

Single A4 sheet printed on one side only

Graeme Aldred, the Newcastle right back in this game, signed for Darlington in the close season, and was part of their 84-85 promotion side, but was killed in a car crash aged just 21. RIP Graeme
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:33 am 
Post subject:

1985 and a testimonial for Keith Mercer between Blackpool (his last club) and Watford (his first club).

In his short time at Bloomfield Mercer quickly became a fans favourite for his energetic and enthusiast approach to the game. He scored some memorable goals and was on target in his debut match against Reading in August 1983.

Unfortunately Mercer’s career was dogged by a knee inury and he had to give up the game at the age of 28.

A large style 20 page programme was issued with plenty of information and photos.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:35 pm 
Post subject:

20th May 1966

West Riding Senior Cup Final

Leeds United 4 Bradford Park Avenue 0

Att. 9,013

All the goals in the first half from O'Grady (2) Johanneson & a Thomas own goal

Single sheet printed on one side only

Dinky

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:33 am 
Post subject:

21st May 1979
Celtic 4 (Aitken, McCluskey, Jackson og McLeod) Rangers 2 (.Mac Donald, Russel ) the night 10 men won the league. Celtic go into their last game of the season 3 points clear of Rangers, who still had 2 games left (2 points a win).After going a goal down and man down, Celtic came back to win and give new manager, Lisbon Lion legend Billy Mcneill, his 1st title

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:18 am 
Post subject:

A programme from one of the many end of season finals played at Bloomfield Road over the years.

Unfortunately these are now becoming fewer and fewer with the ongoing dispute with the owners of Blackpool FC dissuading a lot of people from having anything to do with the club until things change drastically.

This programme from 1992 is a 12 page issue and covers 2 Lancashire Schools FA finals.

Both finals involved Lytham St Annes High School, the under 14 final against Darwen Vale HS (Blackburn) and the under 15 final against Habergham HS (Burnley).

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:29 pm 
Post subject:

21st May 1963

Tommy Younger Testimonial

Leeds United 2 Tommy Younger's XI 5

Att. 8,969

Leeds goals from Lawson and Johanneson, the Younger XI netting five times with a goal each for Quinn, St.John, O'Grady plus substitutes Hunt and Harley

Although he doesn't appear in this programme I understand that Jim McCalliog had just joined Leeds as a 16 year old amateur and came on as sub in this game. He never 'made the grade' at Leeds though and moved to Chelsea just four months later. Certainly went on to have a good career

4 page programme, the three pages that follow plus a full page Yorkshire Evening Post advert on the back cover

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:54 am 
Post subject:

22nd May 1963

Football League, Division III

Att: 3,807

Barnsley 0, Crystal Palace 4 (Burridge, Allen, Dowsett, Forster)

After the terrible winter which saw snow fall on Boxing Day and being still on the ground at Easter (you young'uns wouldn't believe that nowadays!) Palace were left with 14 league games to fit in after 1st April. This game at Barnsley was the last of that lot and Palace had built up a head of steam, winning 8 of the 14 and losing only 2 - a run that set them up for a promotion push the following season and enabled a safe 11th place finish in 62/3.

With great players like Ronnie Allen (then aged 34) in their ranks, success was only just round the corner.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:43 am 
Post subject:

1994 and the De Croix International Youth Tournament in France.

Blackpool were one of the 16 invited teams which included Barcelona and Benfica.

The programme is a huge 96 page issue in landscape format with team photos of all the teams.

nutfield priory

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:30 pm 
Post subject:

22 May 1979

Memphis Rogues 1 (Field) v Crystal Palace 3 (Walsh 2, Swindlehurst)

Att : 2,850

My first first match abroad watching Palace, end of season tour of America,
due to play three games but one got cancelled. Got to the ground about an hour before kick off to make sure of a programme and ticket for the game.

No programme to be found before the game, went to the main office at the ground after the match and was told I could help myself to how many I wanted from a box full, took a big bag full after being given a bag (sack as they call them) by a nice young lady,

Palace kick off in the Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium in front of a very sparce crowd
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:57 am 
Post subject:

24 years ago (1992) and the Division 4 play-off final between Blackpool and Scunthorpe United.

After the defeat on penalties the previous year it was great to get to Wembley again but we had to suffer another shoot out before achieving promotion.

The programme is a 36 page large format issue published by Wembley Stadium.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:11 pm 
Post subject:

24th May 1967

ICFC Semi-Final 2nd Leg

Kilmarnock 0 Leeds United 0

Leeds through to the Final 4-2 on aggregate

Att. 28,000

Killie had a King and Queen playing for them

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:44 am 
Post subject:

Only 8 years ago but seems a lot less

25th May 2008

League 1 Play-Off Final

Doncaster Rovers 1 Leeds United 0

Att. 75,132

Despite being docked 15 points at the start of the season by the Football League Leeds managed to finish 5th just 4 points behind 3rd placed Donny. A great day out was countered by a very average display with us eventually losing 1-0 to a 47th minute strike by Isle of Wight born and bred James Hayter. On the plus side I did pick up a quality loud hailer as a souvenir!

Dinky

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:43 pm 
Post subject:

1967 Celtic 2(Gemmell , Chalmers ) Inter Milan 1 ( Mazzola ) the night 11 men born in a 30 mile radius of Celtic Park helped Celtic become the first British team to win the European Cup and so the Lisbon Lions were born . After going 1 up after 7 mins Inter tried to defend the rest of the game but couldn't stop Celtic scoring twice from 40 shots.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:24 pm 
Post subject:

At the end of the 1946/7 season Blackpool undertook a tour to Sweden and Denmark. This must have been a successful and enjoyable tour as the following year they went again playing similar Danish teams but different ones from Sweden.

For the match on 25th May 1948 they played a Copenhagen Combination X1 in Copenhagen, a match they lost 2-1 having won the previous match 2-1 against the same opposition.

Programmes were issued for all 5 matches and this is an 8 page issue.

Jim LFC

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:06 pm 
Post subject:

The 25th of May has become a special date for Liverpool fans with Rome 1977 and Istanbul 2005 both falling on that date.

Here is a very rare Officials booklet from 1977 which features the various tickets and passes for the game. I actually found TWO copies as I entered the stadium and have never seen another copy since I sold one a few years back.

The sobering fact is it is 39 years ago today and it only seems like yesterday....Smile

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:32 am 
Post subject:

26th May 1945

Friendly Match

Att:

Crystal Palace 1, Leicester City 4

These 2 clubs embarked on a pair of friendly matches right at the end of the season (on 19th at Leicester, Palace winning 1-0) and then today - a month after the last league game - and with only reserve matches taking place otherwise in May. Scorers and attendance unknown (by me!).

A young Don Revie in the visiting line-up, up against Arthur Hudgell.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:41 am 
Post subject:

2001 was the first year the Football League play offs were played at the Millennium Stadium and Blackpool played Leyton Orient in the Division 3 final.

The programme is a 52 page issue produced by Zenith Print and Packaging of Pontypridd.

Blackpool won 4-2 after conceding within 30 seconds of the kick off due to a howler from keeper Phil Barnes.

Blackpool would visit the Millennium Stadium 2 more times in the following 3 seasons for LDV finals and remain undefeated at that venue.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:38 pm 
Post subject:

May 26th 1947

Preston 1
Derby 1 (Jack Stamps, pen)

att: 17,644

A most informative 16 page programme issued for the match. Very good value for 2d.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:51 am 
Post subject:

2007 was the first year the Football League play offs were played at the new Wembley and Blackpool played Yeovil Town in the League 1 final.

The programme is a 100 page issue produced by Programme Master.

Blackpool won 2-0 to achieve promotion back to the 2nd tier for the first time in 30 years.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: