Football Programmes Centre

May 2016
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
May 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:49 pm 
Post subject:

67 years ago - a tournament still being competed for to this day.

4 page programme issued - I presume the "sof" is the true score. Penzance's glory days were just around the corner.

ps - thanks to LittleWiggy for the 84-85 Newport v Derby "extras"!

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:28 am 
Post subject:

15th May 1992

FA Youth Cup Final, 2nd leg

Att: 14,681

Manchester United 3 (Thornley, Davies, McKee), Crystal Palace 2 (McPherson, McCall) - 6-3 on aggregate

Palace reached their first Youth Cup Final since winning it in 1978, having disposed of Charlton, Chelsea, Crewe, West Ham & Wimbledon on the way. With a team including the likes of Jimmy Glass and George Ndah, Palace were beaten by an illustrious United XI but not at all disgraced to lose 6-3 on aggregate. The cover photo shows David Beckham and Palace's Russell Edwards, two players whose careers are unlikely to have crossed since this photo from the 1st leg was taken. The United side, with Beckham, Nicky Butt, Gary Neville, and Ryan Giggs on the pitch and Robbie Savage and Keith Gillespie on the bench was star-studded and would shortly disprove that "you don't win anything with kids".

Perhaps the most romantic story here though involves Palace keeper Glass, who, having moved to Swindon in 1998 was loaned to Carlisle for the last 3 matches of the 1998/9 season. Going up for a corner in the last minute of the last game, against Plymouth - a game the Cumbrians had to win to avoid demotion to the Conference - he volleyed home the winner to sink Scarborough, and that goal is remembered thus on Wikipedia:-

His goal was selected as the 72nd greatest sporting moment ever by the Channel 4 programme 100 Greatest Sporting Moments. The goal was also ranked 7th in The Times newspaper's list of the 50 most important goals in football history. His goal against Plymouth Argyle was number 15 in the 20 Goals That Shook the World on ITV4. The Puma boots with which he scored the goal were donated to the National Football Museum in 2014.

He now runs a taxi firm in Wimborne Dorset and I imagine never has to buy a beer if he pops into Carlisle at all.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:43 am 
Post subject:

73 years ago (1942/3 season) and a fixture between the North and South winners of the Football League War Cup.

The game was between Blackpool and Arsenal and was played at Stamford Bridge.

The Gunners were so confident of victory that they arranged a team photo with the trophy hours before kick-off.

Early on it did look that Arsenal’s confidence of victory was not misplaced and they took a 2 goal lead. However class shone through in the end with the Seasiders hitting 4 goals.

Dix, Burbanks, Dodds and Finan were the Blackpool goalscorers and the crowd was 55,195.

The programme is a large size single sheet.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:07 pm 
Post subject:

34 years ago.

After extra time, Enfield 1 Altrincham 0

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:28 pm 
Post subject:

15th May 1963

Southampton 3 Leeds United 1 - Div 2

Att. 11,619

15th May 1997

FA Youth Cup Final 2nd Leg

Crystal Palace 0 Leeds United 1

Att. 4,759

Holding a 2-1 lead from the 1st leg Leeds held tight in the away leg and clinched it with an 82nd minute Lee Matthews goal

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:45 am 
Post subject:

16th May 1951 (my mum's 33rd birthday - today being her 98th!)

Festival of Britain

Att: ?

Crystal Palace 1 (Evans), Nancy 2 (Deladerriere 2)

And so the Festival came to Selhurst Park and the wooden-spoonists in Div III South took on the French Cup runners-up. Their goalkeeper Favre was capped by France that season, and 2 forwards, Aballay and Vega, were in the Argentina squad beaten 2-1 at Wembley a week earlier. Fred Evans got the Palace goal and both Nancy goals were scored by Leon Deladerriere (!). Shake
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
nutfield priory

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:34 am 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
16th May 1951 (my mum's 33rd birthday - today being her 98th!)

Festival of Britain

Att: ?

Crystal Palace 1 (Evans), Nancy 2 (Deladerriere 2)

And so the Festival came to Selhurst Park and the wooden-spoonists in Div III South took on the French Cup runners-up. Their goalkeeper Favre was capped by France that season, and 2 forwards, Aballay and Vega, were in the Argentina squad beaten 2-1 at Wembley a week earlier. Fred Evans got the Palace goal and both Nancy goals were scored by Leon Deladerriere (!). Shake

Pete

Att : 3,787

According to my newspaper report of the game, the Nancy scorers were De Ladierre and Perret
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:29 am 
Post subject:

50 years ago, 16th May 1966

Newcastle Utd 2 Leeds United 0

Att. 21,660

Newcastle winning to ensure they finished one point ahead of rivals Sunderland

16th May 1969

West Riding Cup Final at Bradford Park Avenue

Huddersfield Town 1 Leeds United 2

Att. 10,794

Ellam for Town, Lorimer & Hunter winning the cup for Leeds

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:03 pm 
Post subject:

Blackpool made the trip to Belgium on 16th May 1953 to play West German side RW Essen in a friendly for the cup winners of their respective countries.

Blackpool had won the FA Cup in that famous final a couple of weeks earlier and RW Essen had just won the DFB Cup (German FA Cup).

The match was played in the Jules Otten stadium in Ghent which is currently the home of KAA Gent.

A 12 page programme was issued, written all in German, which seems a little unfair with the game being played in a neutral country.

Blackpool won the match 2-1.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:03 pm 
Post subject:

written all in German

Sorry, Bispham, but I think that's Flemish. Certainly not German.

Sherlock
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:43 am 
Post subject:

17th May 1983

Football League, Division II

Att: 22,714

Crystal Palace 1 (Edwards), Burnley 0

Another big night at Selhurst and comfortably the biggest gate of the season as attendances plummeted under Mullery. Burnley had to win to stay up, for Palace a draw was enough - the league table now actually lies as it shows Palace in a heady 15th place having gone up 5 places after this narrow win.

Cover photo shows action from the home game v Fulham the previous October, left to right Ray Lewington, Kevin Lock, Gerry Peyton, Ian Edwards, Kevin Mabbutt and Tony Gale. Edwards had his knee strapped up and he did also on this fateful night in May as shown below where he's celebrating his tap-in for the valuable winner. He started just 16 league games in this, his only season at Selhurst, and retired at the end of it aged 28.

PeterE

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:58 am 
Post subject:

Another Palace issue, this time for the friendly on 17 May 1966 against Aberdeen. Palace won 1-0

Probably the smallest page size programme I have in my collection.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:33 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
written all in German

Sorry, Bispham, but I think that's Flemish. Certainly not German.

Sherlock

Yes, you are probably right although I think there is some German inside. Definitely no English.

It's all foreign to me anyway. Laughing
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:35 pm 
Post subject:

69 years ago and a late finish to the 1946/7 season partly due to the weather, and in this instance, due to Charlton’s FA cup run and their appearance in the final clashing with the fixture’s original date.

17th May was actually quite an early finish compared to some clubs who had games up to the middle of June.

The programme is a standard 4 page issue with team line ups across the centre and an advert for RHO Hills on the back cover.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:19 pm 
Post subject:

Extended end to the 46/47 season.

Mid-table clash ends in a 2-1 win for the Blades.

Angus Morrison for Derby, 17,660 in attendance.

8 page programme would have kept the reader busy for 30 seconds or so. Unless you were into reading the adverts.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:38 am 
Post subject:

18th May 1960

European Cup Final

Att: 127,621

Real Madrid 7 (Di Stefano 3, Puskas 4), Eintracht Frankfurt 3 (Kress, Stein 2)

Possibly the greatest football match ever played. I remember being at school about 10 years later and our Wednesday afternoon football session was rained off. So there were 50 or 60 lads with nothing to do. And so our ever-resourceful sports master herded us all into the hall, dug out a projector and cine film of this match and we all watched in awe. Eintracht weren't a bad side but the quality of football played by Madrid was just incredible. And Kenneth Wolstenholme had the job too. We all learnt a lot more that afternoon than we would have done kicking a ball about.

I used to have a few press photos of this game:-

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:46 am 
Post subject:

29 years ago (1986/7 season) and a match between Blackpool and Everton for Eamonn O’Keefe’s testimonial.

Eamonn was a real favourite at Bloomfield Road despite only being there a short while. He was a great character and made an impact straightaway, scoring some memorable goals and helping the side to promotion.

The programme is a 40 page issue packed with tributes and photos.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:08 am 
Post subject:

This would've been half hour earlier but when I returned to my PC, Windows 10 was being automatically installed without permission! Googled it on my phone to find that this is happening worldwide, it's their aggressive way of making everyone upgrade if possible. Anyone using Windows 10? If so would you recommend upgrading?

Back to the thread...

18th May 1984

Northern Intermediate League Challenge Cup Final 2nd Leg

Newcastle Utd 1 Leeds United 2

Already leading 4-0 from the first leg Leeds secured the NIL Cup with goals from Scales & Simmonds.

We have now gotten used to winning NIL Cups!! Sad

Single A4 sheet printed on one side only

PeterE

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:20 am 
Post subject:

Scottish Cup Final 19 May 1984
Aberdeen 2 Celtic 1 (aet)

Autographed by three Aberdeen players (inc. Strachan & Rougvie who had just played their last game for the Dons) as they made their way with the cup on to the team coach afterwards.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:08 am 
Post subject:

71 years ago (1944/5 season) and a Football League Northern Section 2nd Competition fixture between Liverpool and Blackpool.

The programme is a single sheet with team line ups on the front and notes on the reverse.

Liverpool won 2-0 with 16807 in attendance.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: