Football Programmes Centre

The Leicester City Fairytale
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Leicester City Fairytale
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hydemaine

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:29 pm 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:
hydemaine wrote:
Auchinleckian wrote:
Undoubtedly a fantastic achievement, my only concern is that it won't change a single thing in the long term because big finance will eventually always win. Managers like Ranieri will not be appointed to "big" clubs as they seek out the Mourinho's, Van Gaal's and others to buy shitloads of non entities, not manage them but ship them out all over the globe and hope they eventually hit on the right formula.

Given Leicester's achievement this season which has been on the back of a fantastic work rate and camaraderie and no really big names, you'd like to think that things might change, but Guardiola's appointment at Manchester City wil Manchesterl see the obscene spending of hundreds of millions of pounds to try and buy success at the first time of asking, thereby enhancing their manager's credentials.

Despite City's success, let's not forget that Ipswich won the old First Division title in 1961-2 in their very first season in the top flight when Spurs - the previous season's double winners - were widely expected to rule the roost again. Forest also did the same again in the late 1970's and compounded that achievement by winning the European Cup in the next two years as well. Forest's achievement surely has to be THE top flight football story?

Not trying to be funny John but why highlight my team only in this obscene world of premiership spending? This is a congratulations thread for Leicester.

Of course it's a congratulations thread for Leicester, but I tempered it with words of warning that normal servcie will resume shortly. Guardiola will undoubtedly buy the "best" and I doubt £200 million will be sufficient, especially after they have agreed to buy Aymeric Laporte from Bilbao for £39 million despite him being out since last Augus with a broken leg and a dislocated ankle.

My argument is that Ranieri has done so well with the resources available to him, but is unlikely to be mirrored because the obscene amounts of money now sloshing around the Premiership. Guardiola is a canny manager, but he has always had great riches to play with. Good managers in the traditional sense work with what they have and try and improve it by their tactical nous. It's one reason why I'm glad to see Burnely and Sean Dyche back up again. I reckon I could get a team to qualify for Europe with £200 million to spend, it doesn't mean anything really?

Fair enough I thought you were singling out Manchester City as the only club who tries to get the best possible manager available and then spends vasts amounts on players. Maybe it's because you only mentioned Manchester City is what confused me.
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:42 pm 
Post subject:

Congratulations to every one in Leicester........

What an achievement

Easy Easy Easy

Listening to the radio, you get a well done but ......"it wont happen again.."

So what!!.......milk the moment Leicester

The papers will be out to knock them from the start of next season & will only be happy if Utd, city, arsenal or chelsea win the league again.

One interesting fact which may or maynot be true.....Man utd spent more during the last season than Leicester in their entire history.....

Would it be great if Leicester could retain thr trophy.....

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
foxes1

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:12 pm 
Post subject:

Listened to that prat Scudamore on the TV today saying Leicester mugged them by winning it. What's the betting he manages to turn it into an even bigger money making scheme for the Premiership.
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:26 pm 
Post subject:

Funny how the Chief executives of the big clubs met in a hotel in London in March . I bet they were mortified Leicester won the Premiership. No Chelsea or Manchester United in the Champions league next season. How long before the big clubs are automatically accepted regardless what the likes of Leicester do ?
cfcmartin1965

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:32 pm 
Post subject:

Well done to Leicester for winning the title this season. Pleased for the fans who in their wildest dreams could have never imagined them achieving the ultimate prize in football.

But more than anything I am especially pleased for Claudio Ranieri who in my opinion was unlucky to get the sack at Chelsea in 2004 after leading them to 2nd place in the Premiership & to the semi-finals of the Champions League.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:46 pm 
Post subject:

The Premier League - Leicester City - TICK
5th place in the Prem - West Ham United - MAYBE
The FA Cup - Crystal Palace - MAYBE

1 down, 2 to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:53 pm 
Post subject: Re: The Leicester City Fairytale

[quote="Five and In"]
Five and In wrote:
Nothing will lift my mood, but well done Leicester City. When you finish top..it means you deserved it. COYS! Crying or Very sad Bow

Having slept (very badly) on last night's result, I am really proud that we didn't roll over at Chelsea. True, we lost our heads, but in years gone by, we would have let them tickle our bellies.

Great game to watch last night as a neutral........full marks to the ref who despite all that went on I felt he managed to handle a very difficult game fairly well.

Massive congratulations to Leicester......enjoy the moment and who knows you might repeat it again next year........bet your odds won't be 5000/1 next season!! Easy Easy
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:00 pm 
Post subject:

I bet no team is ever 5000/1 again. Seems silly odds in hindsight . A £1 bet each season on all but the big 5 is hardly going to break the bank. But a nice big payout if it happens. Maybe the bookies are not so smart after all.
NWM Football

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:12 pm 
Post subject:

Even from my point of view as another long suffering Spurs fan, it's massive congratulations to Leicester. Thoroughly deserved. Without doubt the most unexpected title win since Aston Villa in 1981. And how can anyone NOT like Ranieri ? Who says nice guys can't be winners ?

Not too disappointed about Spurs missing out. They haven't been top at any point this season, have always been "chasing", and their usual slow start has perhaps cost them. But on the plus side, it's the youngest team in the Premiership, which is still developing and should have many great years ahead of them, and the biggest club ground in London is a couple of years away. Gooners and Chelsea-types SHOULD be worried !!!

Having only seen Spurs come remotely close to winning the League once before when they pushed Everton all the way until blowing out in the last few weeks back in 1985, I WOULD be disappointed if they don't hang on to second place. They DO deserve that !

I bet the F.A. are dreading the possibility of Palace winning the F.A. Cup ! Crystal Palace v. Leicester City at Wembley for the Charity Shield (I still prefer to use its 'proper' name !) to open the new season on August 7th anyone ???
Visit http://nwmfootball.com/ for programmes, books, DVDs, shirts & sportswear and other football collectables. Click here http://nwmfootball.com/nwm-diary/ to see which Programme Fairs and Antiques & Collectors' Fairs we will be attending.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:30 pm 
Post subject:

I bet the F.A. are dreading the possibility of Palace winning the F.A. Cup ! Crystal Palace v. Leicester City at Wembley for the Charity Shield (I still prefer to use its 'proper' name !) to open the new season on August 7th anyone ???

I'll be there!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:31 pm 
Post subject:

I reckon there'll be a whole host of people betting some loose change on outsiders next season.

On the off chance we make it through the play-offs, I've decided that pound coin I found down the back of the sofa can now be out to good use!

Maybe if I bet pre-play-offs, I might get better odds??
Superblue

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:21 pm 
Post subject:

Congratulations Leicester City. Next season I am putting a bet on Leicester to win Champions League and to be relegated Laughing .
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:33 pm 
Post subject: The Leicester City Fairytale.

One club not mentioned in the category of "underdogs" is Burnley who achieved the status as division 1 champions in 1960. Here comes another coincidence: on the date Leicester City became premier league champions Burnley gained promotion back to the premier division---this date of 2nd May was the exact date in 1960 when they achieved their previous division 1 success all those years ago.

Also, I heard today that you can get odds of 5000 to 1 on Burnley to win the Premier League next season---if Bob Lord was still with us I imagine he would not hesitate to put a few quid on that one!.
What about Leicester City for the 2017 champions league final----the kind of good football they play it is possible but, and here is a big but, will they still have the same squad or will the predators whisk away those top players before next season.
NWM Football

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:45 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, another good point. Good to see a club who made the right response after going down (ie, didn't push all the panic buttons, kick the manager out etc) and kept calm get rewarded.

Sincerely hope whichever team out of Middlesbrough and Brighton doesn't join Burnley automatically on Saturday wins the play-offs. All three teams have clearly been the best in the division this season.
Visit http://nwmfootball.com/ for programmes, books, DVDs, shirts & sportswear and other football collectables. Click here http://nwmfootball.com/nwm-diary/ to see which Programme Fairs and Antiques & Collectors' Fairs we will be attending.
hydemaine

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:05 am 
Post subject:

Amazing story ...just think Peter Schmeical's sperm won the Premiership faster than Liverpool. Nod
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: