Football Programmes Centre

The Leicester City Fairytale
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Leicester City Fairytale
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:12 pm 
Post subject: The Leicester City Fairytale

Tonight we witnessed what all the experts said was impossible------the underdogs winning the Premier League. Well done to Leicester City, the manager,the players,the staff and directors but most of all to those loyal fans. The dream has come true!
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:29 pm 
Post subject: The Leicester City Fairytale

Nothing will lift my mood, but well done Leicester City. When you finish top..it means you deserved it. COYS! Crying or Very sad Bow

Last edited by Five and In on Tue May 03, 2016 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:38 pm 
Post subject:

I watched a Ranieri-led Greece lose at home to the Faroe Islands not that long ago.
And now this.
This season is a fantastic achievement for the club - but it's him I'm most pleased for.
I guess he'll never have to buy himself a beer in Leicester ever again!
hydemaine

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:57 pm 
Post subject:

Well done Leicester City and congratulations to all foxes on here.
Proves it can be done without mega money. Good Luck in the champions league next season.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:23 am 
Post subject:

Yes, I echo all the above.

Fantastic stuff and what dreams are made of.

I'm also very glad I applauded them off when they won 1-0 at Selhurst a few weeks ago. "Who gives a ####?" said my mate. "I do!", I replied.

Easy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:23 am 
Post subject:

Very inspiring, well done to the Foxes! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:04 am 
Post subject:

Undoubtedly a fantastic achievement, my only concern is that it won't change a single thing in the long term because big finance will eventually always win. Managers like Ranieri will not be appointed to "big" clubs as they seek out the Mourinho's, Van Gaal's and others to buy shitloads of non entities, not manage them but ship them out all over the globe and hope they eventually hit on the right formula.

Given Leicester's achievement this season which has been on the back of a fantastic work rate and camaraderie and no really big names, you'd like to think that things might change, but Guardiola's appointment at Manchester City will see the obscene spending of hundreds of millions of pounds to try and buy success at the first time of asking, thereby enhancing their manager's credentials.

Despite City's success, let's not forget that Ipswich won the old First Division title in 1961-2 in their very first season in the top flight when Spurs - the previous season's double winners - were widely expected to rule the roost again. Forest also did the same again in the late 1970's and compounded that achievement by winning the European Cup in the next two years as well. Forest's achievement surely has to be THE top flight football story?
hydemaine

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:21 am 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:
Undoubtedly a fantastic achievement, my only concern is that it won't change a single thing in the long term because big finance will eventually always win. Managers like Ranieri will not be appointed to "big" clubs as they seek out the Mourinho's, Van Gaal's and others to buy shitloads of non entities, not manage them but ship them out all over the globe and hope they eventually hit on the right formula.

Given Leicester's achievement this season which has been on the back of a fantastic work rate and camaraderie and no really big names, you'd like to think that things might change, but Guardiola's appointment at Manchester City wil Manchesterl see the obscene spending of hundreds of millions of pounds to try and buy success at the first time of asking, thereby enhancing their manager's credentials.

Despite City's success, let's not forget that Ipswich won the old First Division title in 1961-2 in their very first season in the top flight when Spurs - the previous season's double winners - were widely expected to rule the roost again. Forest also did the same again in the late 1970's and compounded that achievement by winning the European Cup in the next two years as well. Forest's achievement surely has to be THE top flight football story?

Not trying to be funny John but why highlight my team only in this obscene world of premiership spending? This is a congratulations thread for Leicester.
James73

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:22 am 
Post subject:

I am still feeling the disappointment and emptiness of last night's result. Draw seems like a defeat. Would Chelsea have played with such intensity if Leicester had needed 3 points? But in all honestly last week's draw to The Baggies was the turning point. So proud of my team for running them close.

Having said that, hats off to Leicester and congratulations to them and their fans. They have been magnificent all season and you don't win the Premier League by fluke.

One last thing, I am so pleased for Ranieri though, after building a Chelsea team then being given the elbow was harsh. Always comes across as a top guy. Well deserved to them all and enjoy the hangovers.
goonerboy

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:55 am 
Post subject:

A massive congratulations to Leicester. Ultimately any club who wins the league deserves it. They found that blend of graft, talent, commitment to the team and mental strength and good luck.

The money aspect isn't the be all and end all because at the end of the day they are all human beings. Of course in general better individual players cost loads but it is never enough to just buy the best players. They have to combine into a cohesive unit plus you need the gods to smile on you through the season.

It all came together for Leicester and they seem to be such a decent local and family oriented club that it gives football a feel good factor. In addition Ranieiri seems to be such a decent bloke that no-one can begrudge him success. Unreservedly well done to them.
Cantona93

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:14 am 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:

Given Leicester's achievement this season which has been on the back of a fantastic work rate and camaraderie and no really big names, you'd like to think that things might change, but Guardiola's appointment at Manchester City will see the obscene spending of hundreds of millions of pounds to try and buy success at the first time of asking, thereby enhancing their manager's credentials.

You may well be right about the natural order of things being resumed next year but Leicester's incredible story will hopefully give belief to other clubs to set their sights a bit higher in the future.

In my view this is a greater achievement than Ipswich or Forest. In those days there was no closed shop of 4/5 teams able to pack their squads with the best players in the world.
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:14 am 
Post subject:

Getting a group 16 or so players who'll die for the cause is very rare in the modern game. That's why this win is so special. It's like they played 38 cup ties. And luck plays a massive part in those players staying injury free all season. In a money obsessed game , this is a great tonic. Well Done.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:26 am 
Post subject:

In this day and age Leicester’s achievement has been incredible really, I hope their fans are savouring every single moment as it may never happen for them again.

However to put that into some perspective, Leicester’s squad cost more than the whole of Scottish football receives in four years from BSkyB, their squad cost £55m to assemble, Spurs £161m, Arsenal £252m, Man City £419m.

My club Hearts will receive around £1m for finishing third this season, Aston Villa will received over £66m for being crap plus three years of, I think, £20m in parachute payments.

The inequality in football created by money grows every year.
Five and In

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:29 am 
Post subject: Re: The Leicester City Fairytale

Five and In wrote:
Nothing will lift my mood, but well done Leicester City. When you finish top..it means you deserved it. COYS! Crying or Very sad Bow

Having slept (very badly) on last night's result, I am really proud that we didn't roll over at Chelsea. True, we lost our heads, but in years gone by, we would have let them tickle our bellies.

Leicester City...WOW!! I do not begrudge a single word that is being said about them this morning. I am delighted they have done it. I am delighted for their fans. Delighted for Ranieri. He left Chelsea with dignity all those years ago, and having read his autobiography, didn't say anything negative about them. A real class act.
Morgan, Simpson, Albrighton etc, all "journeymen" who have pulled up trees for their club.
The backroom guys got it spot on with their recruitment and don't forget the part Nigel Pearson played in keeping them up. That was the foundation on which this success has been built.

Once again...CONGRATULATIONS Leicester City - Champions!
Clap Clap Clap
James73

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:07 pm 
Post subject:

I echo that 5 and in

Roll on Euros where I am genuinely excited about an England team
foxes1

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:25 pm 
Post subject:

Well I have just got down of cloud 9 it's something I never thought I would see in my lifetime after following them to places like Twerton Park, Roots Hall, Edgely Park and Priestfield etc (No disrespect to these clubs). I like to believe we are a local / family club and we don't start attracting the once a season fans. One thing I would say is that our owners seem genuine people and don't look like they are in it for the money they have kept the club at the heart of the community so far, and our season ticket prices have not gone up for next seaon.
I like a lot on here I would suspect have been following their club for years and by us doing this for this season it hopefully may give hope for others, or I suspect it may be geeting harder in years to come with even more money sloshing around in the Premiership next season.

Looking forward next season to our European tour.
Fishy

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:02 pm 
Post subject:

I can't add more than what has already been said except that I am surprised to see that you are up and about Foxes! Very Happy

Congrats to all concerned and good luck next season in the league and in Europe.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:08 pm 
Post subject:

hydemaine wrote:
Auchinleckian wrote:

Given Leicester's achievement this season which has been on the back of a fantastic work rate and camaraderie and no really big names, you'd like to think that things might change, but Guardiola's appointment at Manchester City wil Manchesterl see the obscene spending of hundreds of millions of pounds to try and buy success at the first time of asking, thereby enhancing their manager's credentials.

Not trying to be funny John but why highlight my team only in this obscene world of premiership spending? This is a congratulations thread for Leicester.

Of course it's a congratulations thread for Leicester, but I tempered it with words of warning that normal servcie will resume shortly. Guardiola will undoubtedly buy the "best" and I doubt £200 million will be sufficient, especially after they have agreed to buy Aymeric Laporte from Bilbao for £39 million despite him being out since last Augus with a broken leg and a dislocated ankle.

My argument is that Ranieri has done so well with the resources available to him, but is unlikely to be mirrored because the obscene amounts of money now sloshing around the Premiership. Guardiola is a canny manager, but he has always had great riches to play with. Good managers in the traditional sense work with what they have and try and improve it by their tactical nous. It's one reason why I'm glad to see Burnely and Sean Dyche back up again. I reckon I could get a team to qualify for Europe with £200 million to spend, it doesn't mean anything really?
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:28 pm 
Post subject:

I really think this will be a one off. Chelsea , Liverpool and the Manchester's will be stronger next year and Arsenal , as always will be happy with 4th place. I don't necessary think it's just a case of buying the best players , the likes of City and Chelsea have a record of paying silly money for the best of the rest. They'll snap up the top players of anyone considered decent from the other Premiership teams, then stick them in the reserves or out on loan to the lower leagues. Years gone by , the Vardys would be on the bench at Chelsea in January. This in itself stops the medium clubs from competing .
I also think it's a one off because teams rarely can pick the same team week after week like Leicester have done this season. If N'Gola or Mahrez are out for three or four months, i don't see Leicester , with respect having a bunch of internationals on the bench waiting their turn. It's a wonderful achievement but i just can't see it becoming the norm.
kcs

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:49 pm 
Post subject:

Excellent achievement, people are saying it can't be replicated again just shows how big this really was.

Enjoy the success and Good Luck in the Champions League. Vardy tearing up the Nou Camp!!

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: