Football Programmes Centre

April 2016
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
April 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidonian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:40 pm 
Post subject:

1933 and the Berks & Bucks Cup final was held at Maidenhead and 8,000 people saw Wycombe Wanderers defeat Chesham United 1-0. Usual six page gatefold programme issued by the host club.

Chesham United have reached the 2016 final being played on May Day Bank Holiday against Aylesbury at Windsor Football Club. If the weather is fair, I suspect the crowd will be about 3 or 4% of the number that witnessed the 1933 final.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:44 pm 
Post subject:

24 hours after playing at Doncaster, the Rams had to quickly head south to Kenilworth Road.
Like Doncaster, Luton issued a large 8 page programme for the match which they won 2-1 in front of a crowd of 12,874.

Derby's goal was scored by Colin Bell, one of only two he ever netted for the club. He was a prototype "utility" player. Filled in as and when required, any position. A 50s Paul Madeley, if you like.

nutfield priory

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:47 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
17th April 1971

Football League, Division I

Att: 39,145

Crystal Palace 3 (Birchenall, Tambling, Queen), Manchester United 5 (Best 2, Law 3)

Bland programme cover disguises one of the most memorable matches at Selhurst Park, even if we were undone by the brilliance of the two United goalscorers. Palace, 2-1 up at half time through the ex-Chelsea pairing (Bobby Tambling shown below), couldn't cope with a fantastic second half performance by United who somehow only scored four times.

George Best and Denis Law, the scorers, in action from the above game, Peter Wall and Bobby Tambling (again) in the background are the Palace players.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:52 pm 
Post subject:

Flackwell Lad wrote:
Poor old Johnny Raaaaaaaaay sounded sad upon the radio broke a million hearts in mono.

Cheers for that Steve & Flackwell, been singing it in my head all day as a result!

45 years ago today and fortress Elland Road was breached, Tinkler had a mare and the game made the news for all the wrong reasons

Leeds United 1 WBA 2

Att. 36,812

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBhpJZJ8O6U

Top going into the game, even winning our last three games after this debacle couldn't stop Arsenal winning the league by a point and clinching the double, second in that run of three being a win v Arsenal

McVitie didn't warrant a George after it apparently and they also got John Wile slightly wrong!

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:50 am 
Post subject:

18th April 1962

Floodlit Friendly

Att: c 26,000

Crystal Palace 3 (Heckman, Smillie, Long), Real Madrid 4 (Di Stefano, Puskas, Sanchez +1 other)

To officially Christen the new lights, which were actually in use from the start of this season, Palace attracted the 5-time European champions to Selhurst only a fortnight before their 6th European Cup Final which they lost to Benfica. A stonking £10,000 cheque eased their pain. Palace put their prices up and despite horrendous weather (which prevented me, aged 6, from attending) a whopping 26,000 turned up and Palace made a profit on the night.

The Galloping Major, Ferenc Puskas, is nearest the camera in this superb line-up

Loaned back to Palace with the agreement of his new club, West Ham, Johnny Byrne (in superb kit) awaits a possible slip by Real defender Casado, who clears

No 5 Brian Wood jumping to head away from No 7 Tejada

As I mentioned, mum wouldn't let me go this match which would have been my first-ever game but I was allowed to go on the following Saturday when Port Vale were at Selhurst.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Maidonian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:48 am 
Post subject:

1949 and the Berks & Bucks Cup final at Maidenhead between Slough Town and Wycombe Wanderers. 7,985 people watched a 0-0 draw. Four page programme issued by the host club, 3,145 copies of which were sold on the day.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:18 pm 
Post subject:

Easter Monday 67 years ago (1948/9 season) and a 1st Division fixture between Arsenal and Blackpool.

The programme is 8 pages with the usual excellent full content and with only a tiny advert for the Finsbury Park Empire.

Arsenal won 2-0 with Lishman scoring both goals if the annotations marked in the centre of the programme are correct.

The attendance was 45047.

Also shown below is a 4 page pirate programme printed by Ben Williams of Barnsbury N7.

nutfield priory

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:37 pm 
Post subject:

18 April 1962

Crystal Palace 3 (Heckman, Smillie, Long) v Real Madrid 4 (Di Stefano, Gento, Puskas, Sanchez)

Att : 24,740

Part Two

Unlike Pete, being five years older I was able to attend the match and getting wet in the process, who cares when you are 11 years old. A wonderful night.

Alfredo Di Stefano comes out onto the pitch

Captains McNichol and Gento exchange pennants

My match ticket from the game
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:09 pm 
Post subject:

Ruud Van Driver wrote:

45 years ago today and fortress Elland Road was breached, Tinkler had a mare and the game made the news for all the wrong reasons

Leeds United 1 WBA 2

Att. 36,812

Coincidentally, there was a link on the Guardian to this "goal" today - what was it that Ray Tinkler did to make the Leeds players believe he'd stopped play?
Here's one for you - had that taken place last week, with all the changes to the offside laws, would the goal have been valid?
I think the problem would have been the very last forward pass just as Gary Sprake rushes from his line.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:15 pm 
Post subject:

80 years ago today - the only occasion the Amateur Cup Final was held at Selhurst Park.

Rather splendid 12 page programme issued for the game full of photos and articles. Even a cartoon.

Page 11 has an intriguing advert..."Free Programmes"
Perhaps you should contact them, Pete - you never know, might still be valid.

Match ended in a 1-1 draw, the Casuals winning the replay 2-0 at the Boleyn Ground.

If any Palace collector knows the attendance for this game, do let me know for my records.

Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:07 pm 
Post subject:

A 1-0 win in Belfast

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:15 pm 
Post subject:

80 years ago today - the only occasion the Amateur Cup Final was held at Selhurst Park.

Match ended in a 1-1 draw, the Casuals winning the replay 2-0 at the Boleyn Ground.

If any Palace collector knows the attendance for this game, do let me know for my records.

Gate was 25,064.

If only, Derby, if only...............
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:40 pm 
Post subject:

18th April 1960 - 59/60 Leeds relegation season

Preston North End 1 Leeds United 1

Att. 15,879

A rare Archie Gibson goal for Leeds, the teams also met the following day at fortress Elland Road with Leeds winning 2-1, despite the 3 points in 2 games Leeds would finish in 21st place and get relegated from Division 1 with Luton Town. Luton would be the opposition for Preston at Deepdale just 12 days later on 30/4/60 when Tom Finney made his last appearance for the club. Note the Tom Finney (Auto Ltd) advert in the programme.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:21 am 
Post subject:

19th April 1969 - the day my only brother got married, so I missed this game too. Crying or Very sad

Football League, Division II

Att: 36,126

Crystal Palace 3 (Kember, Lazarus, C Jackson), Fulham 2

Yes, I was usher at his wedding and me, him and his mates all wished we were somewhere else at 3 o'clock instead of that church. A few transistor radios were switched on and we all heard wooden-spoonists Fulham go 2-0 up at half time. All Palace needed for runners-up spot (behind Derby Co) was a draw - surely we couldn't flunk this chance of a lifetime for promotion to the sacred land of Division I? After all, only 9 seasons earlier we were going up from Division IV. Praise the Lord! Steve Kember pulled one back early on and then Mark Lazarus drew us level before embarking on his preposterous lap of honour. Finally Cliff "Cynthia" Jackson grabbed the winner. We were up!!

Joy everywhere except at that church in Shirley. Jubilant Palace players did a striptease in the Directors' Box (see below - just before the action started!) - how could I miss that? Sadly our betrothal to the top flight was exceeded by only 5 years by my bro's marriage which ended in divorce in 1978.

Left to right:-

John Sewell (captain), John Loughlan, Roger Hoy, Steve Kember, David Payne, Cliff Jackson, John Jackson, John McCormick (half hidden), Colin Taylor, Tony Taylor, Mark Lazarus, Arthur Rowe (just behind), George Petchey, Jess Willard. Genesis drummer Phil Collins is peeking out over Roger Hoy's right shoulder.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:44 am 
Post subject:

Good Friday 70 years ago (1945/6 season) and a Football League North fixture between Burnley and Blackpool.

The programme is a 4 page issue with team line ups and notes. There are no fixtures or tables.

The match ended 1-1 with Mortensen scoring for the Seasiders.

The attendance was 18104.

KJD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:48 pm 
Post subject:

I don't intend joining the regular contributors on here but as it's my birthday

The only Football League game played the day I was born

61 years later and something hasn't changed!

And the first U's game played on my birthday (and already with my first visits to the much lamented Layer Road under my belt)

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:53 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:

Gate was 25,064.

If only, Derby, if only...............

Thanks for the info, Pete, much appreciated.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:03 pm 
Post subject:

66 years ago today - part of the deal which brought outside-left Hugh McLaren to Derby from Kilmarnock was for the Rams to visit Rugby Park at a mutually convenient time for a friendly.

8 page programme issued - the notes state that the home club had invited, as special guests, the 3 surviving players from the last time the two clubs had met. Back in the 1890s! Their recollections would have been interesting.

17,900 attended on the night, Geoff Parkin socred a hat-trick, the other Derby goals from Johnny Morris and Hugh McLaren himself.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:54 pm 
Post subject:

19th April 1957

Sunderland 2 Leeds United 0

Att. 56,551

A valuable two points for Sunderland on their way to finishing one place above the Division 1 drop zone. Don Revie was in the Sunderland line-up, roughly 18 months later he would move to Leeds for £14,000, the rest is history!

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:52 am 
Post subject:

One of those classic 72/3 programmes Ruud was on about the other day.....

20th April 1973

Football League, Division I

Att: 36,817

Crystal Palace 0, Leicester City 1 (Weller)

Keith Weller

A bigger crowd than saw the Fulham promotion game 4 years earlier! Palace were struggling and had to get something from this match, being the last home game of the season, but my memory tells me we were pretty inept and toothless, and a second half strike from Weller was enough to send Palace nearer to the dreaded drop.

3 games remained after this match - away to Leeds, fellow strugglers Norwich and Man City, and with only one away win so far the 4 or 5 points needed looked a forlorn hope.

Indeed it was!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: