Football Programmes Centre

ebay global shipping programme
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
ebay global shipping programme
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatfb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:20 pm 
Post subject: ebay global shipping programme

I remember receiving an email regards this 'innovation' and deciding to opt out. However, I've just sold a two bob item and the guy is obviously abroad as he paid and I now have to send item to a central colllection point for shipping under this scheme.

My buyer has started bitching about the cost of shipping but I only charged £1.50 so god knows how much ebay are charging. Does anyone know if it is compulsory to use the global shipping programme now or do I have to tick something every time I list even though i have already opted out of this programme?
sellsell39

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:39 pm 
Post subject:

I would also be interested to know as well GATFB

About 4 months ago I unticked a box from my profile to "opt out" of the GSP and in the last couple of weeks, I have had an order from New York, which went through smoothly as the customer asked for me a postage quote before purchasing the item.

I checked it out and advised the customer of the price and then after payment, I posted the item directly to the customer in New York, so I can only assume that GSP was not active for this particular deal.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:55 pm 
Post subject:

PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:33 pm 
Post subject:

When it first came in I thought you had to "select" the GSP option in your EBay account so did absolutely nothing about it as I did not want to send items overseas due to the number of items I had posted that had not reached their destination....The first I knew about it was when I sold an item clearly stating in the description "No overseas buyers".....and guess what someone in Italy won the item and paid for it.......cue a "bun fight" between three parties which finally ended with EBay admitting that they had "Set" the GSP option on accounts and it was down to the individual accoutn holders to change it if they didn't want to use this option. After some time the issue was settled.... I refunded the buyer, EBay refunded the sellers costs and the GSP option was "turned off"! Each to their own but I don't post abroad anymore as the "Buyer" seems to have more cover than the seller when its comes to Ebay and Paypal. Confused
gatfb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:52 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks. I've opted out again. Just hope I don't have to do it every listing.

Of all the changes ebay have made over the years I can't think of one that has improved my experience of their site.
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:23 pm 

I have been using the GSP system for about two months now.
At first I had declined as it didn't want the hassle of overseas sales after a few bad experiences, but after reading all the info and having a chat with Ebay to reassure myself, decided to give it a try as my postal duties only involved getting it to Derbyshire..
For me, it has worked out brilliantly and I have sent over 50 items this way now with no problems at all.
The only drawback as I can see, is the postage that Ebay charge.
I had a very tiny booklet for sale and the postage that I was charging was £1. A potential buyer, in Australia, contacted me to ask how I could justify charging £23 postage.
It's a bit rich when part of feedback scores include marks on fair postal prices.
For a seller like me, the plus points outweigh the minus points.
I am now selling to a much wider market and my sales have increased.
I do not have the hassle of sorting out overseas post.
Ebay inform me (and I assume the buyer) of when it leaves the centre and when it has arrived with the buyer.
As for the minus point of Ebay's postal charge, at least the buyer can see it up front and if they don't like it, they don't have to bid.
gatfb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:39 pm 
Post subject:

Interesting, I can see the upside but wonder if selling abroad is now worth the hassle of irate buyers

I have asked my buyer where he is based and how much he has been charged and await his reply. I had assumed by his reaction that he only got postal costs once auction had ended.
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:46 pm 
Post subject:

it is another Ebay money making scheme which rips off the buyer with ridiculous postal charges.
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:50 pm 

In your case gatfb, it may be worth contacting Ebay and asking how this sale has happened.
There are also some countries that the GSP does not cover, so that could have something to do with it.

Another point I thought of is about bulk purchases.
If a buyer purchases for example, five buy it now items, he will be charged five lots of postage by Ebay..Shocking!!
But, if he buys five auction items, the postage is merged...work that one out!!
Both scenarios have happened to buyers of my items.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:54 pm 
Post subject:

Won't touch it with a barge pole after the first and last time, when I lost a considerable amoutn of money, and the buyer from China got a firste dition Rothamns from me for nothing because of the incompetence of the system. Even though they had signed the recorded delivery receipt to say they had the item, the guy in China ddidn't receive it, and got a full rebate taken from my account by ebay because they'd ballsed it up.

I contacted their CEO and others to make the complaint official but it got nowhere. Faceless bags of shite.
ntw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:11 pm 
Post subject:

gatfb wrote:
Thanks. I've opted out again. Just hope I don't have to do it every listing.

Of all the changes ebay have made over the years I can't think of one that has improved my experience of their site.

Of all the changes eBay have made over the years I can't think of one that won't have resulted in increased revenue for them.
gatfb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:19 pm 
Post subject:

My seller has just let me know that he is in Ireland and has been charged £10 or £11 (he will check which later) for postage for one Newcastle programme form the 1960s.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:24 pm 
Post subject:

It's not even a mild form of mugging it's utter piracy.
DySporting

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:54 pm 
Post subject:

I won’t touch the global shipping programme as it’s a rip off - I don’t know how ebay can justify the prices they charge.

I sell items abroad and set my own postage for europe etc. Far better than ebay’s own system.
Blueman7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:43 pm 
Post subject:

A few months ago, I hadn't noticed that my selling settings were changed and GSP was included. I then sold a 4 page programme to a collector in Norway and he was charged over £12 by Ebay/GSP instead of the £1.50 - £2.00 Royal Mail charges.
Wullie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:59 pm 
Post subject:

""Excessive postage charges are specifically prohibited by eBay rules""
They ought to practice what they preach.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Avoi.....596/g.html
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:17 pm 
Post subject:

Any time I sell anything on eBay, I make it perfectly clear I'll sell to UK bidders only.

EBay have stacked the odds so heavily against sellers that selling abroad simply isn't worth it.

It's not fair on decent foreign collectors, but that's the creature eBay have willingly created I'm afraid.
bwfc182

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:10 pm 
Post subject:

cychris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:33 am 

Hi All-Greetings From Cyprus! I used to buy programmes/tickets etc on
a regular basis on ebay.uk that is until Ebay started the dreaded GSP.
I will now not buy anything where the sellers are using the GSP,as the
postage costs are outrageous(got quoted £20 the other day for a 1960's
prog & £15 for a ticket!!.There are a lot of overseas collectors out
there,seems a shame that a lot of UK sellers are missing out on sales
KJD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:06 pm 
Post subject:

It's a very long time since I've sold anything on Ebay but this thread persuaded me to go and change my seller settings just in case.

I found I didn't need to as "Offer the Global Shipping programme" is set to No. Unless it would change automatically if I were to list something that must be a default setting.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: