Football Programmes Centre

Sportsprogrammes
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sportsprogrammes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fulham mad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:28 pm 
Post subject: Sportsprogrammes

Has sportsprogrammes ceased to trade,it's ages since the last catalogue and when I emailed it failed.
se20blue

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:03 pm 
Post subject:

Sports Programmes offers catalogue no 2 2016 had a closing date of 9th March,
Roy Camels has recently celebrated his 75th birthday and is not retiring yet, but taking it a bit slower therefore the issuing of catalogues will take longer.
email [email protected]
slightfold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:18 pm 
Post subject:

Recently had my items from the last (March) offers list. He is ably assisted by his missus, Joy. There's nothing now with fixed prices, all offers only, usually about 6500 items each time.
goonerboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:26 pm 
Post subject:

Roy and Joy are still operating but will be producing less catalogues per year now on as they are slowing down a bit. The next catalogue will be in May.
roughyedz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:00 am 
Post subject:

Over the years ive bought dozens of itmes off Roy and Joy , and very nice she has been in our e-mail excvhanges over the years , ( I even got an automatic suggestiuon on Facebook i might want to be her friend Laughing ) nobody canb go on for ever and it must be a time consuming thing to put together , and vert tireing indeed . Obviously i imagine he has no family to pass the bussiness on to ????
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:05 am 
Post subject:

Nice to see Roy and Sports Programmes are still going after all this time. Thumbs Up

I seem to remember they were originally based in Birmingham from around 1974 onwards, can anyone verify?!
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:14 am 
Post subject:

I think I've put these up before don't let anyone tell you that nostalgia ain't what it used to be! Laughing

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:27 am 
Post subject:

roughyedz wrote:
Over the years ive bought dozens of itmes off Roy and Joy , and very nice she has been in our e-mail excvhanges over the years , ( I even got an automatic suggestiuon on Facebook i might want to be her friend Laughing ) nobody canb go on for ever and it must be a time consuming thing to put together , and vert tireing indeed . Obviously i imagine he has no family to pass the bussiness on to ????

They have a son, Danny, who set up on his own about 10 years ago and ran a smaller version of Roy's catalogue. But that closed after 3 or 4 years and I don't know what Danny's doing now.

As for their catalogue I've had one for about 15 years, spent thousands on firstly Palace programmes and for the last 10 years press photos by the boat-load. And now I've been struck off their mailing list as I was too demanding on photo copies, even though I said I'd go without in future. So, sadly, it's a goodnight from me, Roy. Wave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:36 am 
Post subject:

Jim LFC wrote:
Nice to see Roy and Sports Programmes are still going after all this time. Thumbs Up

I seem to remember they were originally based in Birmingham from around 1974 onwards, can anyone verify?!

Handsworth, wasn't it?
Their catalogue used to arrive rolled up like a newspaper - I would leave it overnight under something heavy before a) reading it b) getting on the phone and c) finding it was forever engaged!
Posh1959

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:22 am 
Post subject:

It was Coventry, West Midland Programme Club was at Handsworth
auctioneer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:01 am 
Post subject: sports

further info from a local guy

sports programmes was started by Gordon Andrews in digbeth in Birmingham

he was joined by roy camels and then sold to him and tony Stanton before moving to Coventry

west midlands programme shop was in handsworth and ran by john garrad and tonymatthews

robert
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:46 am 
Post subject:

Offers lists are very much the old school way of conduction business these days, I never touch them. You are basically buying blind and all you have to go on is a “vslcr” or such like with regards to condition and as Pete alludes to above, the modern world demands a lot more than that these days if you are shelling out considerable amounts of cash. Add to the fact that it is blind bidding and it’s a dying concept (just look at the continual shrinking of line adverts in PM).

People are used to seeing pictures of items on ebay, or via Saleroom, I personally want to see what it is I’m potentially bidding on beforehand (Sportingold are bad at not providing pics on Saleroom of their lots).

If it’s an item worth a fiver then fair enough, you go with it, but if it’s an item demanding a bid of £50+ I want to see it. One mans slight crease is another mans heavy fold.

It surprises me that dealers don’t make more use of photo hosting sites such as Flikr to at least show their more expensive items, whether that be straight sales or offers.
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:09 am 
Post subject:

Back in the day I used sports Programmes on a regular basis to obtain a number of "wanted" items.....now Ebay, the Saleroom and auction houses are around I use these sites/avenues. I hate the "blind" bidding process......I much prefer seeing the specific item and the fact you are able to at least have a better appreciation of where the price/value is heading. Having said that I still take part in the dreaded "offers" process and keep alook out on Roy's Offers list....you have to just in case that wanted item pops up!! knowing where to "pitch" your price is extremely difficult and you can't even use past market prices as a guide or other collectors experiences...... as it tends to go out the window in the blind bidding wars........now has anyone got any of my "wants"......offers or straight sale either considered!! Very Happy
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:53 am 
Post subject:

I also dislike the 'blind' bidding process and I hate to think of the amount of additional money I have spent over the years on Sports Offers and other similar sellers by bidding on the very high side to try and secure sought after programmes.

I am a little surprised that Sports Programmes are still trading in this outdated way and it would be interesting to know how many bids are actually received on the 6,000 plus items on a particluar catalogue.

Having said that I have acquired some gems from them over the years and have always received an excellent service.

And I still can't resist scrutinising the catalogue although nowadays it would have to be something really special to bid blind.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:03 pm 
Post subject: Re: sports

auctioneer wrote:
further info from a local guy

sports programmes was started by Gordon Andrews in digbeth in Birmingham

he was joined by roy camels and then sold to him and tony Stanton before moving to Coventry

west midlands programme shop was in handsworth and ran by john garrad and tonymatthews

robert

all 100% accurate.

In the 1970's when i was in Birmingham i would go into their place Digbeth and walk around the room, tables laid out with VICTORIAN CUP FINALS on! and other pre-war bits all selling for what is now considered pence!. Tony sitting like the headmaster at the top of the table and looking bored rigid, never got too excited unless you were spending a massive £20!. I also recall when they moved to Coventry where Tony lived with the few metal shelves creaking under the weight-happy days for sure.

I once won an auction for a 1908 Charity Shield and paid £300-i was delighted and also shocked that my crackpot offer was accepted as i had to scrape up the brass to pay for it. I remember speaking to Roy and he said to me "One day it will be worth a nice few quid" he was not wrong about that!.

I have not traded with Sports programmes since 2000 only because now the world has changed and i need to see what i am buying and i get the offers but i just lose patience, it was all those years ago such a thrill to get the catalogue and then you could not get thru on the phone for ages.

Spent many an afternoon at Roy's place in front of the fire whilst he showed me stuff i could only marvel at.

Good Luck to Roy a genuine gentleman and Joy maybe they need to do their own live auction-they probably have the stock for it for sure.

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: