Football Programmes Centre

Fixtures and player recovery
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Fixtures and player recovery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hydemaine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:09 pm 
Post subject: Fixtures and player recovery

I realise that there are earlier examples but how would modern players cope?

Good Friday April 12th City v Chelsea 1-0 to City

Next day April 13th City v West Ham United City won 3-0

Also two days later on Easter Monday Chelsea 1 City 0

3 games in 4 days!

And City still one the Title!

Come on Leicester it's easy?
Tigerhawk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:43 pm 
Post subject:

A few seasons ago Havant & Waterlooville had to play 21 league games + cup games as well in just over two months they were playing Sat, Tues and Thurs most of that time, and that's as well as doing day jobs, couldn't see the pro's doing that, and we missed the play offs by one goal.
Karb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:46 pm 
Post subject:

3 games in 4 days was standard over Easter when I first started watching football.

A few others that spring to mind:
Because of our involvement in the FA Cup in 72/3, Sunderland played 12 games in 32 days between 7 April (the semi final v Arsenal) and 9 May (the last League game v QPR). We won the Cup on the Saturday at Wembley, played in Cardiff on Monday and Sunderland on Wednesday, so plenty of travel to contend with too.

In March 1986, I remember going down to Feethams to help clear snow from the pitch so that Darlington's game with Bournemouth could go ahead. It was their first home League game since Boxing Day. Needless to say, our hard work was rewarded by the drabbest of 0-0 draws you are ever likely to see. To fulfil their backlog of fixtures, between mid April and early May they played Sat, Tue, Thur, Sat, Tue, Sat, Mon, Tue.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: