Football Programmes Centre

Premiership Proposals !!!!!!
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Premiership Proposals !!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:44 pm 
Post subject: Premiership Proposals !!!!!!

Reading the local rag, I see the Premiership clubs want to play a under 21 team in the football league trophy (was the johnson paint trophy) so their overpaid boys can get a game.

Of course they will pay off the league 1 & 2 teams first....but why ?

Surely there,s enough money in the premiership to start their own U21 league.

Why stop the league 1 & 2 teams their day of glory at wembley....

60,000 were there last weekend

Get My Coat Get My Coat Get My Coat Get My Coat Get My Coat

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
thfcbasil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:16 pm 
Post subject: premiership proposals

They already have an under 21 league as well as a European competition so quite why they would want this is baffling. Maybe they think it would be an education in the more physical aspects of the game. I agree it could deprieve teams of a wonderful day out at Wembley and so is unfair. The next step will be to have these U21 teams compete in the lower leagues. Some European clubs I believe do this or at least used to.
wdy11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 pm 
Post subject:

Is that not what the loan system is for?
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:23 pm 
Post subject: Re: premiership proposals

thfcbasil wrote:
The next step will be to have these U21 teams compete in the lower leagues. Some European clubs I believe do this or at least used to.

I believe they put that forward last year but quite rightly was thrown out.

But

Money talks, and they all have £100M to spend....

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Benno Spire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:54 pm 
Post subject:

This will kill attendances even more for this cup, and atmospheres as there will be no away fans. Will the first team ground be used if they are drawn at home or will they forego home advantage?
wandererpaul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:03 pm 
Post subject:

I hope this never happens. Let the Clubs, and their supporters, in Leagues 1 & 2 have their moment.
Although, I've been to three finals and we've lost them all! Still, it's a good day out.
The Premier League have their own cash cow, if they shared the proceeds further down the ladder, then some Clubs and supporters may reconsider!! I doubt it though!
DySporting

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:04 pm 
Post subject:

Unfortunately this is on the agenda again. As a follower of a League 1 club I can safely say they are against this.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:59 am 
Post subject:

Another ridiculous idea.

I can't see it happening though.

As we are likely to be hanging around the bottom 2 divisions for the foreseeable future, I'd like a decent chance of getting to Wembley again and winning this trophy for the 3rd time. Thumbs Up
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:27 am 

As said on this thread already...This is the lower league clubs chance of glory. Sadly this is another case of the Premiership clubs wanting everything their own way and to their advantage.
Leave it alone!!
Fishy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:05 pm 
Post subject: Re: premiership proposals

pompeypete wrote:
thfcbasil wrote:
The next step will be to have these U21 teams compete in the lower leagues. Some European clubs I believe do this or at least used to.

I believe they put that forward last year but quite rightly was thrown out.

But

Money talks, and they all have £100M to spend....

Yes they did Pete and I recall a thread on here about it.
Seems to me that they are trying a 'back-door' entry into the lower leagues - very sad.
Stick to the loan system and leave the rest alone I say............
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:58 pm 
Post subject:

Ah the wonderful and all-consuming 'Premiership.'
It's him again.
He of whom we must all bow down to, curtsy even and worship, because it invented football for us you know.
That fine and majestic being that has already killed stone-dead the FA Cup, the Football League Cup, the England team, and over a century of rich tradition.
Then whilst in crafty cahoots with its foreign cousins, it gleefully and likewise killed two great, nay epic, European competitions in the UEFA Cup and the European Cup Winners Cup.

So hey, it's only natural that this lengthy trail of carnage cannot merely suffice nor indeed satisfy its insatiable lust.
It's only to be expected that the greedy fat pigs will want to devour those lower league peasants too.
Why the absolute hell should those upstarts have anything anyway?
Bit of a bloody cheek when we invented the game you know, did I mention that already?

Oh yes, yes indeedy, us lower league paupers have some ruddy neck on us, expecting to keep a tiny little something for ourselves without their rotund snouts also being in the trough.

Shaking the bush boss!

Last edited by littlewiggy on Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
foxes1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:32 pm 
Post subject:

Don't agree with this idea, this competition is a money spinner for lower league clubs obviously the further you go the more money you pick up. I can remember going to places like Hartlepool and the Don Valley Stadium to watch Leicester in the competition not all that long ago.

It smacks off the idea we get all this money and we want more. It is no different to the proposal being put forward by the so called big clubs to make the Champions league a closed shop and to stop clubs like my team Leicester and Tottenham getting into it after all the top clubs don't like anything that upsets them and little old Leicester in the Champions League Oh no we can't have that can we.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:11 pm 
Post subject:

Unless you support a so-called "elite" club, even the rest of the Premiership should be worried about how out of control this is all becoming.

Every club in the Premiership will get £100m TV money this summer I'm hearing, and the elite clique won't like that one little bit.
Only a matter of time before they're demanding and negotiating their own TV deals, to prevent the slices of the cake being distributed so evenly.
hydemaine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:00 pm 
Post subject:

I suppose if I let it I would become blinkered by all the shiney things that have happened to my club since 2008.

But I'm not and I fully support the 92 club League tiers. You could say that that is easy for me to say given our genourous benefactor.

In reality cutting away the casual glory hunting support and the increased TV deals there is still a hardcore of some 35k-40k support which will always be there no matter what League we are in. (already proven)

There's a perception fuelled by the unfair UK press that we are a new team with new fans who have no history?

Now if anyone says we wouldn't be where we are without the investment then they are totally correct. But please don't airbrush our famous history!

And just because we have rich owners doesn't mean the fans of this club are rich! We still have a budget on what games to attend.

Where would United be today without City and our combined history?
BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:00 pm 
Post subject:

After having a fantastic day out at Wembley last weekend and winning our first cup for 104 years, I can fully endorse the popularity of the JPT.

I realise that it is not well supported in the early rounds but, being a straight knockout with no replays and no seeding, plus the North / South split competition, the JPT is fine just as it is thank you very much without the bigger clubs spoiling it.

As far as I can see they would bring nothing to the party
DAN052

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:19 pm 
Post subject:

Even though I completely agree with you guys, and this shouldn't happen. I feel like playing devils advocate. So..
First off the attendences wouldn't fall, like a previous person said, but wouldn't they increase? Surely people are more willing to spend money to see there team play man u, even if it is a youth side (remember there will still be some of there top player's who are coming back to fitness).
As for the money, aren't most league 1 and league 2 teams close to going into the red (all it takes is one/two bad seasons). So if each team were given 1-2 million, then they'd be more safe money wise. (remember Aldershot almost went under, then Roman Abramovich bought there training ground for a stupid amount of money (about £2 million), so they could stay in the league)
And theres the rule in the JPT where you HAVE to play your best team in the competition, which might not include any of the loaned players from the premier league clubs (if you don't play your best team you get a hefty fine)

But yeah, that's all I can think of, to support the idea.
Scottish -http://www.footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129512#129512
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:55 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
It's him again.
He of whom we must all bow down to, curtsy even and worship, because it invented football for us you know.

Heard a bloke on the radio say "Aston Villa have never been relegated"
So that's that, then - anything pre-Sky doesn't count.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:53 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:
It's him again.

Heard a bloke on the radio say "Aston Villa have never been relegated"
So that's that, then - anything pre-Sky doesn't count.

Lol, if anything sums up the Sky generation, that there is it.

I still call our league "Division Four."
League Two my eye.
Five and In

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:12 am 

Although I still hope my beloved Spurs can win the title, without question the story of this season will always be "little" Leicester. Add to the argument "little" Bournemouth, "little" Watford, the continued evolution of "little" Swansea, "little" West Ham, "little" Stoke and "little" Southampton. This shows that dreams can come true in our football and who is to say that in the next couple of decades, these teams will not become the elite? Before Russian money, Chelsea had no seat in "the big four", but now they, along with the other "big clubs" try to dictate how things should be run.
Ten years ago, Manchester City finished 15th and their hopes for the following season would be survival, not the title. Now they are among the big hitters. Also that season, Blackburn, Newcastle, Bolton and Wigan all finished in the top ten.
Football evolves, times change.
That is why all true fans love our game. Sod the glory hunters, the plastic fans and those that see nothing before the Premier League. There is always hope for a Wimbledon style rise through the leagues, a Forest title, a Derby title and Leicester are showing that dreams can still come true.
I'm amazed that three teams can still be relegated. Surely the big boys want a closed shop and no fear of going down. I wonder if Chelsea's poor start was still going on and they had dropped out of the top flight, would there have been a cry for change from the rest to protect against such a disaster?
I heard a radio reporter, just last week, saying if Leicester meet Barcelona in the Champions League next season, they would lose 20-0! So disrespectful. Wolfsburg bloodying the noses of Real this week was the result of the tournament for me. The "big" boys will not like that, but the fans do.
Blood the young potential stars by using the loan system. It worked for Man Utd and a certain Mr Beckham and benefited Preston at the same time. Countless others have followed that route and gone on to bigger things.
There is very little to benefit the lower league clubs with these latest proposals. The benefit of the attraction of drawing a "big" club U21 side probably would help the team they were drawn against financially, but that would only be one team. Rochdale being beaten by Bury, wouldn't see any pound notes from Crewe who had been lucky enough to play Chelsea, and Crewe's dream of a Wembley trip may well have ended at the hands of a Premiership team.
Leave the JPS alone. Leave our football alone.
I've gone a little off point at times here (sorry), but you get my drift.
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:28 am 
Post subject:

Just checked Wikipedia. In the 6 seasons between 2000/01 and 2005/6, between 8 and 12 non league clubs also took part.

Now Premier League reserve/youth teams is a totally different kettle of fish, however this is not some pure, never changed competition.

Funnily enough I think my team (Palace) don't have a Category 1 academy due to crappy facilities, so wouldn't be in it anyway.

If Palace got an away game 'somewhere different' to usual, then we could take a reasonable following just for the change of scenery

And teams like Leicester and Norwich were not long ago in League 1 themselves.

If Palace were in it (doubtful!), I'd probably go watch just for something different, I wouldn't imagine the crowds would be worse than they usually are for first round league cup games. I doubt if the Premier clubs would be doing it with an eye on Wembley, more just to get some games for their squads of young players. Of whom most of the good prospects would be on loan anyway.

To be fair though it'd be horrible if Chelsea and Man City dominate it, like they do with the Youth Cup. For that reason, I'd not want to see it happen
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: