Football Programmes Centre

March 2016
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
March 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:03 pm 
Post subject:

29th March 1937 (Easter Monday)

West Brom 3 Leeds United 0

Division 1 - Att. 31,247

Played each other the following day at fortress Elland Road with Leeds winning 3-1, imagine two games that close nowadays!

12 page issue and an excellent read

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:15 pm 
Post subject:

This day in 1948.

Crittall Athletic v Eton Manor

London League Cup semi-final.

4 page programme - I really like the horseshoe logo for the lucky number draw.

Not too much to read though some interesting adverts inside including yet another TV & Radio retailer (in this instance, Bert Peagram) who also sold bicycles.
They all seemed to back then, have you ever noticed?

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:41 am 
Post subject:

Tuesday 30th March 1976

Football League, Division III

Att: 34,893

Crystal Palace 0, Millwall 0

The most memorable incident in this drab game, which took place just 4 days before Palace's first ever FA Cup semi-final and may therefore have caused some distraction, was a missed penalty by Peter Taylor which as far as we all know is still in orbit. I don't have a photo of that moment - the only one I have of this game is this "wire" showing Barry Kitchener heading clear with Tony Hazell, Trevor Lee and Phil Summerill (9) in support, and a couple of home players almost hidden. Palace lost all form after this game, froze in the semi final and gained only 1 win in the last 8 league games to miss out on promotion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:12 pm 
Post subject:

59 years ago (1956/7 season) and a 1st Division fixture between Blackpool and Portsmouth.

The programme is a standard 8 page issue with league tables but very little reading except for notes on the visitors. There isn’t even a list of fixtures.

A poor programme but a very good victory as Blackpool won 5-0 with goals from Mudie 2, Durie, Harris and an own goal.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:37 pm 
Post subject:

Just sorting through a pile of programmes and came across another one from today's date, which coincidentally in relation to another current thread, involves Everton.

54 years ago (1961/2 season) and a 1st Division fixture between Everton and Blackpool.

The programme is a 16 page issue with plenty of stats but not a great deal of reading. It does have a nice cover though.

The match ended in 2-2 draw with Peterson and Charnley scoring for the Seasiders.

The attendance was 38,302.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:04 pm 
Post subject:

1935 and a match against Wolverton in the Bucks Charity Cup although Maidenhead has always been in Berkshire. The game ended 2-2 and the usual six page gatefold programme was issued.

The Bucks Charity Cup was a strange competition prone to similar organisational problems that beset the Mithras Cup in more recent times as well. The Maidenhead v Wolverton tie was never replayed, the final of the 1933/34 competition (between Maidenhead and Berkhamsted) was played on 7th September 1935 and the competition seems to have died a death after that.

2013 and the 1st team were losing 1-0 to Bath City in Conference South. (Maidenhead had only beaten Bath once in 19 meetings (2 draws, 16 defeats) before a long overdue 3-1 win against the Somerset side on Good Friday 2016). 28 page programme, colour on cover, black and white internally.

Whilst, also in 2013, the Reserve side were losing 2-0 at Easington Sports in the Hellenic League Division 1 East in front of 20 people.

nutfield priory

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:13 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Tuesday 30th March 1976

Football League, Division III

Att: 34,893

Crystal Palace 0, Millwall 0

The most memorable incident in this drab game, which took place just 4 days before Palace's first ever FA Cup semi-final and may therefore have caused some distraction, was a missed penalty by Peter Taylor which as far as we all know is still in orbit. I don't have a photo of that moment - the only one I have of this game is this "wire" showing Barry Kitchener heading clear with Tony Hazell, Trevor Lee and Phil Summerill (9) in support, and a couple of home players almost hidden. Palace lost all form after this game, froze in the semi final and gained only 1 win in the last 8 league games to miss out on promotion.

Pete

Remember the penalty well, as you say still in orbit along with Jason Puncheon's penalty miss at Tottenham a couple of years ago. Do not have a photo either of Taylor's penalty miss but have one of Puncheon's miss.
Have other photos from the Millwall game but like the match they are drab as well!
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:14 pm 
Post subject:

All these years I thought the city's full title was Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
Looks like I was wrong.

Match ended in a 1-1 draw, Alf Ackerman on target for the Rams.

Plenty to read in the 16 page programme but the pen-pictures inside detail Manchester United players, not the Derby ones! Bit confusing for the spectator.

yachtsmun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:33 pm 
Post subject:

53 years ago, 30/03/63

Reading 'A' v Cowes, Hampshire League Division 1

Result not to hand. Single one-sided sheet.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:55 pm 
Post subject:

Was going to post this one from this day in 1970, but as we got stuffed 4-1 in front of 41,101 and Steve might gloat I decided against it

Seriously though.... Leeds had secured a place in the FA Cup Final and were due to face Celtic in the European Cup S/F 1st Leg two days after this game. Figuring that the chances of winning the League were slim Don Revie threw the League towel in and fielded a reserve side for the game at Derby and as a result got fined by the Football League

The Leeds team that took the field was as follows...

Harvey, Davey, Peterson, Lumsden (Capt), Kennedy, Yorath, Galvin, Bates, Belfitt, Hibbitt, Johanneson

Compare that with the team listed in the programme - If I'd have gone I may have got on!

.......and that's why we lost!

And of course we never got past Celtic and lost to Chelsea in an FA Cup Final Replay

Crying or Very sad
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:35 am 
Post subject:

Another month almost gone........

31st March 1961

Football League, Division IV

Att: 37,774 (4th division record at the time)

Crystal Palace 0, Millwall 2

Palace again going for promotion, again playing their local rivals with a few games to go, again a massive crowd in place, and again freezing on the day. This time, however, Palace recovered to win 6 of the last 7 games and seal promotion as runners-up to the Posh.

A shot by Gavin is cleared from the line by a Lions' defender with keeper well beaten and ex-Lion Summersby (right) somewhat on his heels near the penalty spot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:13 am 
Post subject:

62 years ago (1953/4 season) and a 1st Division fixture between Blackpool and Preston North End.

This was a Wednesday afternoon 3.00 o’clock kick off and the programme is just a single sheet.

Blackpool won 4-2 with goals from Taylor (2), Durie and Mortensen.

The attendance was just under 17,000 which considering the kick off time was not too bad, but it could have doubled if the game had been played on a Saturday afternoon.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:24 pm 
Post subject:

60 years ago - 31st March 1956

Leeds United Reserves v Manchester City

Single sheet printed on both sides

44 years ago - 31st March 1972

West Ham United 2 Leeds United 2

Bonds & Hurst for the Hammers, Eddie Gray with both of the Leeds goals watched by 41,003

This was my ticket for the game Shake

And it's goodnight from him. Slightly off-thread but a nice picture of Ronnie Corbett getting "sent off" playing for TV All Stars v Huntley & Palmers 27th March 1959 at Palmer Park, Reading. Perhaps someone on here has the programme (Holtie?) as it's only a few days late

Loved the Two Ronnies as a kid (and adult), RIP Ronnie

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:13 pm 
Post subject:

Ruud Van Driver wrote:

.......and that's why we lost!

That weakened lineup really rankled with Cloughie but when you explain the facts behind it, then Revie's rationale was understandable.

Of course, if it had been your full strength side you'd played, you'd only have lost 3-1 Smile
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:22 pm 
Post subject:

From a collecting perspective, it's great that Derby played so many floodlit friendlies in season 53/54 but, by March, the novelty had rather worn off.

St.Mirren were the fifth of five Scottish opponents (following Hibs, Partick Thistle, Stirling Albion and East Fife) at the BBG that season. By the time they arrived, the programme was down to 4 pages and the attendance had dwindled from over 13,000 for the first game against Hibs to just 4,135 for this match.

The 2-1 win for St.Mirren meant Derby finished with a record of P5 W1 D2 L2 F9 A 13 against their opponents from north of the border.

All five programmes are quite tricky to find nowadays. The first one against Hibs probably being the most common.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: