Football Programmes Centre

Why don't the Americans keep there nose out of football
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Why don't the Americans keep there nose out of football

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxes1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:08 am 
Post subject: Why don't the Americans keep there nose out of football

So according to sources the top 5 clubs in England have a secret meeting to discuss a European League again. If they want that why don't they just clear off and do it and leave the Premiership to proper clubs. They really don't like their cartel upset by the likes of Leicester City and Tottenham do they. The best thing to happen this season if the 4 champions league qualifiers from England are Leicester, Spurs, West Ham and possibly Stoke or Southampton. Lets face it the Americans don't even called it football (It's soccer to them).

What do the supporters of the so called big 5 think would they prefer a European League or stay in the Premiership after all the fans are supposed to be the people that matter but it doesn't seem like that anymore and hasn't since the Premier League started.

http://www.theguardian.com/foo.....stillitano
James73

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:06 pm 
Post subject:

I agree foxes1, I do find it laughable that Liverpool are included in the Big 5.
As per usual Americans want to take something that is running perfectly well and ruin it. Football is a global sport for all nations not for US to f**k up because their national sports are prolonged rugby for men in tights and rounders.
Leave the Premeirship alone

COYS
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:24 pm 
Post subject:

“What would Manchester United argue: did we create soccer or did Leicester create [it]?” said Stillitano,

I think that line says it all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:50 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
“What would Manchester United argue: did we create soccer or did Leicester create [it]?” said Stillitano,

I think that line says it all

I'd say Queens Park played a major role in creating Socca as we know it.

Not sure they'll get an invite though.
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:59 pm 
Post subject: Why don't the Americans keep their nose out of football

Agree with previous comments.
If the "big" clubs can't win or qualify, they will always try to seek a safety net.
Just look at the failed Champions League teams that keep the revenue flowing by dropping into the Europa Joker League!
World Cup finals qualifiers keep growing too. I heard they are talking about extending it to 40 teams in the near future!
The Yanks need to back off and leave OUR game alone.
They should concentrate on their own sports which include the ludicrously named World Series - competed for by ONE nation!
No
James73

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:08 pm 
Post subject:

They should concentrate on their own sports which include the ludicrously named World Series - competed for by ONE nation!

Let's not forget Canada, I remember the Blue Jays winning it one year and the Yanks hated it

World does not revolve around one nation Thumbs Up
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:04 pm 
Post subject:

I await Donald Trump's views on the matter. Shocked
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:10 pm 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:
I await Donald Trump's views on the matter. Shocked

Please don't get us started on that John. Laughing

Trump v Clinton for the White House. Oh dear.
Fishy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:37 pm 
Post subject:

Totally agree with all the above - if they want to go let them and be done with it on the proviso that they can never come back................

On the other part of the American issue - we have an American Chairman at The Den. He has been with us for a number of years, through Kenny Jacket's reign and a couple of bad reigns (best forgotten about), but has nurtured Neil Harris from player to Manager and has stuck with him bringing our youth players through.

He has ploughed quite a bit of money in (not on players) mainly on the day to day running of the club which, with fairly low attendances, is necessary just to stay afloat.

John Berylman has been a life saver as far as Millwall FC is concerned, and whilst consistency is a problem (especially at home), the team is starting to see some good results and repay some of his faith.
James73

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:00 pm 
Post subject:

Now that is the type of thing a chairman should do and I forgot that your chairman is American. He seems to understand the game and that if you set the club right at the grassroot level then the rest will take care of it's self.

My home town club, Ebbsfleet have a Kuwaiti chairman and he has invested heavily in infrastructure, we know lead the Conf South and look good for promotion. These models do work.

Added bonus is that when the ball hit's the roof of the stand now you don't have to cover your cuppa to prevent a deluge of rust dropping into it
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:28 pm 
Post subject:

As a Gooner i hate the way money is killing the game and much prefered the game in the 70s/80s. I hate the way the game is going and hope one day sky go bust and the tv deal comes right down in the hope football is given back to the working man.

COYG
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:08 pm 
Post subject:

Maybe we might get our game back when Jerry Hall gives Murdoch a coronary when riding top jockey one night. Laughing
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:10 pm 
Post subject:

Sorry if I've offended anyone with the above by putting a recurring picture in folk's heads of Rupert gasping his last whilst on the vinegar strokes!
clsyorkshire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:16 pm 
Post subject:

James73 wrote:
Added bonus is that when the ball hit's the roof of the stand now you don't have to cover your cuppa to prevent a deluge of rust dropping into it

That is the best summary in one sentence of non league football that I have ever read! Clap
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:57 pm 
Post subject:

I'll repeat the comment I made on the Guardian's website earlier today - what if the original members of the Football League had argued for a closed shop when the early versions of today's behemoths had come knocking at the door?

Back in the early 70s, the movie "Rollerball" depicted a seemingly impossible scenario, with global franchises squeezing every cent/penny out of the sport, using the media to feed frenzy and the almost faceless franchise owners watching from thousands of miles away.

That's the path we're careering down.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:56 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:15 pm 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:
It'll implode eventually, it will have to.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiI75_-gqjLAhWzbZoKHS8JBb0QtwIIHTAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DHJZPzQESq_0&usg=AFQjCNHAIFaJEPgRbfGiVkowh5Z8xdQDUg

Good as Monty Pythons's "dead parrot" sketch is - it's always bugged me that it's a rip-off of the tortoise equivalent in the Hancock's Half Hour episode "Sid's Mystery Tours" from 1959.

Galton & Simpson should have sued!

There, that's got that off me chest Smile
botanybaykid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:24 am 
Post subject:

If my memory serves me right, but didn't 7 or 8 English clubs (inc Everton and Aston Villa) moot a European league in the early 1990's?
That's why UEFA created the extended Champions league. So that clubs wouldn't have all the revenue.
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:49 pm 
Post subject:

botanybaykid wrote:
If my memory serves me right, but didn't 7 or 8 English clubs (inc Everton and Aston Villa) moot a European league in the early 1990's?
That's why UEFA created the extended Champions league. So that clubs wouldn't have all the revenue.

This was driven by the G14 which included Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool. The G14 has been disbanded but the legacy lives on (sadly).
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: